Fly Lord

Default Mountain King - Stats, Cards and Model Pics

Enjoy!

[url]http://www.breakingtheformat.com/the-mountain-king/[/url]
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chaplain

That's some "meaty" fists there.....

Chapter-Master

You should see the complaining going on in the PP forums regarding his stat lines. It's pretty Epic. You'd think these people don't even like the game.

I, for one, will be getting one simply because he looks BA.

www.queencityguard.com

Battle-Brother

Model looks awesome if I played trollbloods I'd buy one. I will be buying the woldwrath for my circle, I don't have if he looks like he has the twin towers for shoulder blades.

meh, I won't be buying it anytime soon. It's a great model, but Trollbloods are full of great models with great rules that I don't own yet. Maybe, I'll pick it up after getting a max unit of bushwackers and a second skinner.

First-Captain

That is one impressive beast...

And Under's right--Trollblood's are chock full of impressive models. If only I didn't like the Circle so much.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by under View Post
    meh, I won't be buying it anytime soon. It's a great model, but Trollbloods are full of great models with great rules that I don't own yet. Maybe, I'll pick it up after getting a max unit of bushwackers and a second skinner.
    Don't buy the skinner model. Theres a really great Iron Kingdoms model I use as my 2nd skinner. Check it:

Cheaper than the skinner too :-)

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Don't buy the skinner model. Theres a really great Iron Kingdoms model I use as my 2nd skinner. Check it:

Cheaper than the skinner too :-)
    Sweet model.

So I am really just beginning. I looked at the PP forums and saw the hate for this Troll Gargantuan, could someone explain why it's not as good as it should be? I understand it's slow and expensive but is there anything else?

As a budding Trollblood player I can tell you a couple of important perspectives.

1) epic Doomshaper has a spell called Primal Shock which hits with a POW as high as a friendly warbeasts STR. The Cygnar Stormwall Colossal has a STR of 17 and so when Trollblood players see that the Mountain King was only 15, they are a little disappointed since they were hoping that Primal Shock would be able to hit harder. I'm not surprised it's only STR 15 since most spells don't have a POW higher than 14 and POW 17 would be really absurdly high.

2) Mulg is the standard for expensive warbeasts for the Trolls and his club already hits with a P+S of 19 - the same as the fists on the Mountain King. While the Mountain King has two fists, one extra P+S 19 attack is hardly impressive. Mulg also has the same ARM as the Mountain King and his animus is arguably much better. The difference is that Mulg is 8 points cheaper (12 instead of 20).

3) Fury is a highly valued resource for Hordes players. For every point you spend on a warbeast you need to make sure that your warlock will have a sufficient pool of fury to fuel their magic. While Troll warlocks typically sport lower-fury warlocks, having 20 points spent on a warbeast that only generates 5 fury points is harder to justify. Even if it had 6 fury it would be a little more understandable since it could generate enough fury itself to fuel a lot of Trollblood warlocks. As it is, it generates as much fury as Mulg but, again, for 8 points more.

4) The Mountain King "only" sports 48 damage boxes and we know that Colossals have at least 56 boxes. While Warjacks typically sport more damage boxes than warbeasts natively, this seems highly unfair until you remember that systems are far more vulnerable than aspects on a warbeast. The response is a knee-jerk reaction without actually playing with the model on the table, as I'm sure most players would eventually realize that having so many damage boxes and only 3 aspects is a huge boon - especially when the player can heal a damaged aspect to full quite easily.

http://steam-poweredgamer.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar333 View Post
    As a budding Trollblood player I can tell you a couple of important perspectives.

1) epic Doomshaper has a spell called Primal Shock which hits with a POW as high as a friendly warbeasts STR. The Cygnar Stormwall Colossal has a STR of 17 and so when Trollblood players see that the Mountain King was only 15, they are a little disappointed since they were hoping that Primal Shock would be able to hit harder. I'm not surprised it's only STR 15 since most spells don't have a POW higher than 14 and POW 17 would be really absurdly high.

2) Mulg is the standard for expensive warbeasts for the Trolls and his club already hits with a P+S of 19 - the same as the fists on the Mountain King. While the Mountain King has two fists, one extra P+S 19 attack is hardly impressive. Mulg also has the same ARM as the Mountain King and his animus is arguably much better. The difference is that Mulg is 8 points cheaper (12 instead of 20).

3) Fury is a highly valued resource for Hordes players. For every point you spend on a warbeast you need to make sure that your warlock will have a sufficient pool of fury to fuel their magic. While Troll warlocks typically sport lower-fury warlocks, having 20 points spent on a warbeast that only generates 5 fury points is harder to justify. Even if it had 6 fury it would be a little more understandable since it could generate enough fury itself to fuel a lot of Trollblood warlocks. As it is, it generates as much fury as Mulg but, again, for 8 points more.

4) The Mountain King "only" sports 48 damage boxes and we know that Colossals have at least 56 boxes. While Warjacks typically sport more damage boxes than warbeasts natively, this seems highly unfair until you remember that systems are far more vulnerable than aspects on a warbeast. The response is a knee-jerk reaction without actually playing with the model on the table, as I'm sure most players would eventually realize that having so many damage boxes and only 3 aspects is a huge boon - especially when the player can heal a damaged aspect to full quite easily.
    Whitestar is on the money here. One of the big "gimmicks" it seems with the Mountain King is also his ability to spawn whelps, which he can then eat to regain HP. I don't use them enough to know how valuable this can "really" be, and I don't think it's a strategy used by many 'competitive' Trollbloods players. As such, I think the potential for the Mountain King's sustainability is...undervalued? Because I've never seen any of the high level Trolls players use anything remotely similar to Whelp Spam, I think it's as yet undetermined how effective this is going to be.

Also, I think everyone on the PP forum fancies themselves amateur game designers and like to complain about anything for their faction that isn't at first glance OP.

Like I said; I think the model is sweet and I look forward to getting one. I pre-ordered my Stormwall the other day (AFTER I read about how bad the mould lines were--Doh!) and am really excited to put it together and decide if I think the models are really worth the $100-$135 bucks.

ALSO: I don't know that they're saying that the Mountain King "isn't good;" I think it's that he's not good enough when you look at what he does for the points, considering for that you can take two Earthborns which are, quite possibly--correct me if I'm wrong here-- the nastiest Beast in the game, and may be one of the Top 5 Beast/Jacks in the game.
    Last edited by wittdooley; 06-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast