BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Anything on a rhino chassis is just too easy to disable. Same goes for the Battlewagon. But the thread is "favorite" not "best" so keep rolling those glass cannons out there.

r
    It takes a big hammer to drive a big nail.

10 havocs, 4 with meltaguns, an icon, champ with a powerfist and meltagun, and rhino with a combimelta and a havoc launcher.

Absolute hilarity.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Iron Father

Obliterators, completely love their fluff and the in game flexibility. But coolness factor I think a Heavy Bolter equipped dev squad takes some beating in looks.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

Okay, let's see if I can't go through each of my armies in turn; that will at least make this easier...

Necrons- Hard to say because I've had so little time to play with the new models/book. The Monolith was awesome yesteryear, and it's still good if not awesomely indestructible, but I've got a feeling the Doomsday Ark is going to work its way into a soft spot of mine. Mmm, high strength pie plates.

Tactics? Uh...pie plates. :3 Find clumps of infantry and kaboom 'em. Or try and land a blast on a heavy tank that's bugging me. Going to take some getting used to treating the Monolith as more fragile, though.

Space Wolves- While I really like how my Predator Annihilator performs, Long Fangs are just too awesome. Rules-wise and fluff-wise. Bunch of hoary old veterans with big guns? Yes please. My squad runs 2 lascannons, 2 plasma cannons, a missile launcher and a plasma gun, and they always take a twin-linked lascannon Razorback. It's a sub-optimal points sink, and I love it.

Tactics? Hopefully set up in a good spot, outside of the transport. Use it as cover if need be, and augment the squad's firepower with its lascannon. Lascannons target heavy armour, plasma cannons (and gun, if in range) target light armour or, preferably, clumps of infantry, and the missile helps with whichever of the two targets has highest priority. If over the course of the game escape or redeployment is needed, the Razorback ensures that's possible, and usually it lasts quite late into the game since it tends to be hanging back out of the way.

Space Marines- I've gotten pretty good at using my solo Vindicator, but I think it's in need of a friend soon. Not just to provide more target saturation, but also because Vindicators are awesome.

Tactics? I tend to keep the bulk of my SM army bunched up fairly tight. The Vindi will typically lead the spearhead, but its side armour is always guarded by a Razorback or Dreadnought while also offers fire support. If my Land Raider is present, it will try to shield the Vindicator from the biggest ranged threats to it when possible. Most of the army tends to advance slowly as a whole, and the Vindi will target...whatever it needs to, really.

Tyranids- Trygons. Huge burrowing monsters that tear tanks and infantry to shreds, yep. <3 Though I do wish they were a bit tougher.

Tactics? Deep strike. Disrupt. Sow terror, and wreck havoc. I rarely ever move this guy up the board normally. I like when he shows up from reserve as he draws a lot of attention and tends to reinforce my swarm wherever a heavy hitter is needed. Also one time he showed up and zapped an unsuspecting Yriel to death with lightning. That was hilarious.

Imperial Guard- Is it unfair to just say 'Leman Russ'? If I have to be specific, I'll probably go with the Eradicator, believe it or not. S6 AP4 large blast ignoring cover is great against so many targets... It hurts missing out on the extra AT firepower but I've got some fond memories of the Eradicator Nova Cannon.

Tactics? Advance behind a wall of squishy Guardsmen, providing fire support, taking out the targets they can't, and getting the best mileage out of that AV14 possible.

Blood Angels- Stormravens are the only models I use here, due to the nature of my 'airborne' BA army. They're fun and effective, but a super high-profile target...it's hard to keep them around long, and they're pretty expensive for what they do. Still fun, mind you. Just a tricky unit to get the most mileage out of 'em.

Tactics? I tend to take the Stormraven with a very specific list in mind. Jumpers aside, the list contains 3 typhoon/heavy bolter Land Speeders, 2 Dreadnoughts of some sort (on the ravens) and 2 Stormravens with typhoon launchers and a TL lascannon. The ravens and speeders are there to provide long-range firepower as well as AT support, which are both things an all-jumpers list severely lacks. Early game they will all attempt to keep at the very edge of 48"...or even longer with the Stormravens (which have 72" bloodstrike missiles), and minimize incoming fire, while putting out as many missiles as they can. Between the 3 speeders and 2 ravens, that's 10 typhoon krak missiles and 8 one-time S8 AP1 bloodstrike missiles, at a potential 7 targets thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit. The Stormravens have their lascannons to contribute, too, if anything gets within 36". The idea is to try and cripple as much of my opponent's vehicles as possible, as quickly as possible, before surging forward with the entire army to take advantage of any weaknesses that there are to exploit in the aftermath.

Tau- Very little experience with the army as it's largely waiting on a new book. The only HS unit I have is a lone Hammerhead. Great unit, mind you, but I don't feel like I have much to say about it...would love to get my hands on some Broadsides when they cease to be a hybrid model...or maybe I should just grab the FW models. Waiting on a new book, either way.

Dark Eldar and Thousand Sons- Both armies are too small/underdeveloped/played to say; don't actually have any HS models for either.
    Last edited by Kawauso; 06-07-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Panxer View Post
    So what's your favorite heavy support choice and what do you like to do with it?

What do you like to do?
    CSM: Defiler with extra CCW. 5 S10 attacks on the charge eats vehicles all day. Charge forwards and OMNOMNOM.
    Also my Obliterator holds a special place in my warped heart, despite his ability to almost always miss with his lascannon. -.- I use my Oblit as stationary/semi-mobile fire support. Rarely do I teleport him in as I find I don't get my points worth with him doing that.

Guard: Manticore. Rain S10 Ordnance Barrage upon your foes, flatten hordes and wreck vehicles everyday while hiding in a corner lol.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Oh, I have another one:

3 Chaos Vindicators with deamonic possession. Deliciously fun, hurling that many ultra-high strength pie plates everywhere!

It's even better with a lash sorcerer!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Librarian

personally, annihilation barge for the necrons! it is a crescent moon shaped Van Der Graaf generator, if it doesn't kill you the static will make your hair go funny at least!
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

Quote Originally Posted by alshrive View Post
    crescent moon shaped Van Der Graaf generator
    Nikola Tesla is insulted.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

For me it's got to be Templars, with 3 Vindicators with 'dozer blades and power of the machine spirit - 12" per turn (straight ahead), stunned/shaken doesn't phase them, barrels of fun.
    PhillCo. Heavy Industries "Crushing the World one step at a time"

Chapter-Master

Wraithlors. Love em. Brilliant model too.

Most accurate bright lance in the army, and a massive bullet sponge. Doesnt get killed by 1 melta gun. Using the named Farseer from IA11, and a wraithseer im currently toying around with a list where i field 5 wraithlords....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast