BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

A group of friends of mine have a weekly skype pathfinder game. It works well. I believe they use the roll20net for dice rolls.

Brother-Sergeant

I would recommend using Roll20 as well. Its a fairly easy to use virtual table top that allows for a lot of features and control over the game. I'm using it for a game I'm running on Saturdays and I have to say I love it. It allows for dice rolling to be fair and equal, the DM doesn't have to worry about peaking, it has a built in voice and video chat if you want to use that. It has a built in radio player so you can set ambient music for your game. I'd honestly recommend anyone this if you want to run and online game with any RPG system.
    War Painting Services is a full service assembly and painting commission service. If you have a project you want done email me for quotes at: [email protected]

Brother-Sergeant

Heya, I'd love to get involved in some 40K RPG goodness over Skype. Flip me a Skype invite at comfortzonetime
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Request sent.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Skype is an interesting way of doing things in conjunction with MapTools for your map and identifying where everything is. Can be a bit clunky though, and doesn't quite have the redundancy I'd like if the host goes down. Most fun I've had is doing something on a TS3 server with a dice roll plugin. You can still use MapTools, or whatever visual system you want so you can work out what you are doing, but it's a lot easier to get people together on it.

As an interesting side point, from past research I've noticed that MapTools has a DH/RT framework that you can load into it, adding in all of the weapons, armour, stats etc, as well as progressing you through the combat. Was a buggy thing to play around with, but if it's working now it'd make for a much easier ride into the D100 system which can sometimes be an absolute pain to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    Just for everyone's FYI, the greatest RPG you can play via Skype is Paranoia. Ichat systems and quick and invisible notes make it absolutely hysterical. I had a TPK before we got to the briefing room because of the shenanigans. It was glorious and bloody.
    Paranoia is my favourite RPG ever! Absolutely every adventure is incredibly fun, though usually has almost nothing to do with what the adventure is meant to be about

And what's TPK? I am not familiar with your TRIs

As for Skype roleplaying ... something feels somehow wrong about it to me ... but it may be that I'm too much of a Luddite

Veteran-Sergeant

TDA, just saw this, and to throw my own recommendation into the ring, Google Hangouts are your friend..

Tuesday nights are my RPG nights, we're currently doing Pathfinder and Dark Heresy, we've used Google Hangouts for about 7-8 months give or take, it's the perfect system, built-in chat, and add-ons like Tabletop Forge and Roll20's own make it a hell of a lot smoother too.

We tend to use a separate window with rolz.org for dice, but the whole package as it is works like a charm. Way, way better than Skype, we've found!
    ARMIES: IRON HANDS, NIGHT LORDS, OGRE KINGDOMS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Paranoia is my favourite RPG ever! Absolutely every adventure is incredibly fun, though usually has almost nothing to do with what the adventure is meant to be about

And what's TPK? I am not familiar with your TRIs

As for Skype roleplaying ... something feels somehow wrong about it to me ... but it may be that I'm too much of a Luddite
    TPK: Total Party Kill. The entire party kills themselves, each, six times before even getting to the briefing room. I almost peed my pants the last time it happened
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    TPK: Total Party Kill. The entire party kills themselves, each, six times before even getting to the briefing room. I almost peed my pants the last time it happened
    I only ever played it at conventions -- if the GM doesn't have house-rules about extra clones beyond 6, no game would ever last 3 hours. I still have no idea how it's meant to work as a campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I only ever played it at conventions -- if the GM doesn't have house-rules about extra clones beyond 6, no game would ever last 3 hours. I still have no idea how it's meant to work as a campaign
    Using the "straight" rules recommendation in the book makes it a bit more satirical without being cartoonish, but simultaneously way more boring.
    ZAP is the way to play though. And hand out perversity points like they're free. You REALLY see player interaction.

Yeah. Paranoia is amazing.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast