BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Initiate

Exclamation Please help a failing Necron player!

Hi guys
    I seem to have a fairly catastrophic problem on my hands: I cannot get necrons to work in 5th ed! I have tried pretty much every list I can think of (lots of warriors, not many warriors, half warriors half shiny stuff, 3 monoliths, whatever) and lots of different tactics (stand and shoot, rush, deepstrike devastation etc) and none of it wins me games! Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Mash.

Librarian

well, Necrons are a slightly broken army, so until they get fixed, you wont win MANY games, but i think your best bet is probably to grab tons and tons of warriors so you can not have to worry about phase out.
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

How are you playing them? And what are you playing against?

The list matters to a degree, but it's not the end-all/ be-all of winning a game. The Necrons will always have some trouble against a horde just because of numbers, or a vehicle heavy army if you can't land enough glances.

Or, for that matter, if you're charging them across the board into assault, for example...
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

Go big on non-Necrons.

Monoliths, Pariahs, The Deceiver, Tomb Spiders, Scarabs, Lord w/Orb and Veil, Destroyer Lord w/Orb and Shifter and Warscythe, two smaller Necron Warrior squads and as many Destroyers as you can cram into the list.

Monoliths lead the way with their uber-unkillable living metal and Scarabs rush forward to engage Troops. The Deceiver and Pariahs run right up the middle causing havok. Destroyers sit back in a big blob and shoot stuff. Warriors hold rear echelon objectives and generally hide.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Git View Post
    Go big on non-Necrons.

Monoliths, Pariahs, The Deceiver, Tomb Spiders, Scarabs, Lord w/Orb and Veil, Destroyer Lord w/Orb and Shifter and Warscythe, two smaller Necron Warrior squads and as many Destroyers as you can cram into the list.

Monoliths lead the way with their uber-unkillable living metal and Scarabs rush forward to engage Troops. The Deceiver and Pariahs run right up the middle causing havok. Destroyers sit back in a big blob and shoot stuff. Warriors hold rear echelon objectives and generally hide.
    No, no, no, dear God in heaven no!

Are you for real? Monos are garbage, C'tan are huge point sinks, and Pariahs are just utter trash. Loading up on non Necrons is like giving your opponent a free win.

Necrons are gimped currently thanks to an outdated Codex and new edition. The absolute best you can do with them is Destroyers, all day and every day. Massed S6 shots on speedy and resilient platforms can force lots of saves and hopefully torrent down light vehicles. For the heavier stuff, you need S9, so heavy Ds come in to play. Load up on them and keep your Warriors away, hold in reserve if need be. Walk on and head for objectives, don't engage anything because you will lose them.

After that, Destroyer Lords can be fairly hitty and quite tough, Spyders can poop Scarabs to protect your Warriors, and Immortals are like Warriors only useful, but still a cheap knock off of a Destroyer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Actually, I laughed at it for a minute, but on reflection there's an odd logic to the Green Git's idea.

By taking so much non-Necron stuff, he does swing the balance the other way, so to speak. It's much harder to cause phase-out when the only way to do it is to damage one or two small units on the far side of the board.

Especially when there's three Monoliths moving toward the opposing army. And a bunch of Pariahs. And scarabs. And a C'tan or two. No, none of them contribute to the phase out number, but they're still on the board and those massed units can cause some serious damage. It almost cancels out the phase out issue when done on that scale.

I'd be interested to see that army played a few times.
    Last edited by Lord Anubis; 09-23-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar clarity
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

There is a balance to strike (as in you can't take all the non-necron choices) but that's exactly what tends to happen. If the opponent is keen to go for phase out (like pretty much everyone does in my experience) they will ignore everything else.

Tomb Spyders and Pariahs are great close combat tank killers, and if you can get them close (which you should if the opponent is going for phase out) they can really cause a hurting. They are expensive models though, and not really fun for painting and modeling (if that is a concern)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    By taking so much non-Necron stuff, he does swing the balance the other way, so to speak. It's much harder to cause phase-out when the only way to do it is to damage one or two small units on the far side of the board.

Especially when there's three Monoliths moving toward the opposing army. And a bunch of Pariahs. And scarabs. And a C'tan or two. No, none of them contribute to the phase out number, but they're still on the board and those massed units can cause some serious damage. It almost cancels out the phase out issue when done on that scale.
    Wish I could claim the idea as my own, but a brilliant local player came up with it. I've seen this army used to devastating effect.

You want to phase me out? You have to come through multiple Monoliths and a Star God to do it. Did *everyone* miss The Deceiver in that list?

Brother-Captain

What, the uber MC that moves like infantry? He is pretty missable.

If you think that 4 slow points sinks that pose no threat and don't boost your Phase Out is a good idea, I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    What, the uber MC that moves like infantry? He is pretty missable.

If you think that 4 slow points sinks that pose no threat and don't boost your Phase Out is a good idea, I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in.
    You're missing the point Chumbawumba. It doesn't matter that big D or the Monoliths aren't uber fast. They don' t have to be since with such small Phase Out numbers the enemy MUST come to you if they have any hope of getting that Phase Out. If they don't, you whittle them down with Destroyer fire. If they do, you put big scary pie plates on them and throw models that ignore save in CC their way. Oh, and almost any of them does absolutely nothing towards phasing you.

Open your mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast