BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Dropzone Commander

Just thought it wise to alert folk to one of the best miniatures release I've ever seen!
    No rules yet, and only preorders being taken, but this looks amazing;

[url]http://www.hawkwargames.com/#[/url]

I can't believe that there's been no coverage here. The game and range shows huge commitment, ambition, and imagination. C'mon folks show some appreciation for this independent developer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishInquisition View Post
    Just thought it wise to alert folk to one of the best miniatures release I've ever seen!
    No rules yet, and only preorders being taken, but this looks amazing;

[url]http://www.hawkwargames.com/#[/url]

I can't believe that there's been no coverage here. The game and range shows huge commitment, ambition, and imagination. C'mon folks show some appreciation for this independent developer.
    I'm with ya bro. This game is just looking all kinds of crazy sick. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Even the models are incredible. So much detail and they made them to have working parts...WTF....HELL YEAH!

I'm going UCM...I know of about 5 of us here in Cincinnati OH playing or getting this.

Chapter-Master

No Rules. Very Niche Minis. 10mm is a scale that can be off-putting for some. I dig painting up some Epic, but not everyone does. Plus, it's a bit expensive for the "amount of stuff" you get. By all accounts, the Large Army bundle is what you need to play a standard game, and $220 is a decent buy in for a game, but that's still yet to be seen, as we've only received tidbits of the rules.

That being said, I'm going to wait until ksoh75 sells his UCM and then buy them from him

www.queencityguard.com

Veteran-Sergeant

An FAQ went up after a 12 hour live Facebook Q&A session (which I took part in), and you can play the game utilising most of the mechanisms with just the starter sets! The large army and mega army deals would constitute a large/very large game!
    To be fair, the mega bundles are more for the 'I want everything now gamer' (ie me) and are still balanced forces, done deliberately so they will play well in the game which I think is a refreshing approach. At £250 for that amount of high quality casts, with a custom cut case to carry them in, I think that's more than reasonable. Think of the start up cost of a 40k army (or Epic for that matter) from scratch, then add on a case (or two) to hold it all and..... well, I'm passed £250 already!

Librarian

I can not believe how much of an impulse buyer I am sometimes. I pre-ordered the Mega bundle army deals for both human factions and the main rule book from the Hawk Games website.

I am even planning to buy the new Russian Coallition forces being released for Dystopian Wars soon.

I bought 2 armies because I knew I would need an army for an opponent to play with, and I want to learn the rules for when my local gaming shop starts to stock it.

I hope the investment is going to be worth it.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chaplain

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    No Rules. Very Niche Minis. 10mm is a scale that can be off-putting for some. I dig painting up some Epic, but not everyone does. Plus, it's a bit expensive for the "amount of stuff" you get. By all accounts, the Large Army bundle is what you need to play a standard game, and $220 is a decent buy in for a game, but that's still yet to be seen, as we've only received tidbits of the rules.

That being said, I'm going to wait until ksoh75 sells his UCM and then buy them from him
    Your a dirty whore....LOL

Besides you said you are doing PHR...LOL
    Last edited by ksoh75; 06-13-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishInquisition View Post
    An FAQ went up after a 12 hour live Facebook Q&A session (which I took part in), and you can play the game utilising most of the mechanisms with just the starter sets! The large army and mega army deals would constitute a large/very large game!
    To be fair, the mega bundles are more for the 'I want everything now gamer' (ie me) and are still balanced forces, done deliberately so they will play well in the game which I think is a refreshing approach. At £250 for that amount of high quality casts, with a custom cut case to carry them in, I think that's more than reasonable. Think of the start up cost of a 40k army (or Epic for that matter) from scratch, then add on a case (or two) to hold it all and..... well, I'm passed £250 already!
    I took part too!! Was very infomative. Those guys are really making the game balanced at even low point scales.

For me, it's the models.....it's worse that telling a fat kid he can't eat at a chinease buffet. That's how I currently feel. LOL

And I agree on the price. I'm looking at getting a large army as well. However not over the pond. My go too place just started pre-orders and for the price of putting together what is in the large army with custom case and command deck, I'm saving almost $60 then if I order from Hawk Games. Granted, I may not get it until August, but I have a feeling this game will be worth it. Really excited about this one. Between Dust and this, GW and PP can go %$#^ theirselves....specially GW and their huge price hike. To finish my Tau army, I was only about $200 out. Now I'm freaking $375. THANKS

I feel that $375 will deffinatly be used wisely!

Chapter-Master

Bear in mind that he was stated saying that standard game size would be simliar to 40k (b/w 1000-2000 points) and that the Small Starter will barely get you to 1000 (again said in the FB thing).

For most people that play 40k, the price hike isn't a huge deal because few people are buying armies at once for 40k, but rather simply adding to what they have. Except for powergame net-listers, and who really cares about their feelings anyway?

I really think there's a healthy doese of perspective missing here. Buy yourself a plastic Marine set, and your'e getting cheaper figs than if you buy a two PHR walker pack. The large dropships are the same price as a rhino, but have a much smaller footprint. It goes on and on. To look at games that are more comparable, you get much larger ships for about the same price point with Dystopian Wars, and they're just as detailed.

Further, as Daemonette intimated, the game doesn't not have a built in player base yet. That's not to say it wont, but we're not likely to see a 500 man tournament at Adepticon next year.

The custom case is a "bit" underwhelming to me (because I'm a BattleFoam hoarder) if only because the case is made of cardboard. I'd really like to see how much extra space the case allows for so I can see how much expansion room there is.

Don't get me wrong: I think the models are lovely and I think it is a really impressive effort by this lone dude to get this stuff produced, but like I said before, I think some perspecitve is in order.

www.queencityguard.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Bear in mind that he was stated saying that standard game size would be simliar to 40k (b/w 1000-2000 points) and that the Small Starter will barely get you to 1000 (again said in the FB thing).

For most people that play 40k, the price hike isn't a huge deal because few people are buying armies at once for 40k, but rather simply adding to what they have. Except for powergame net-listers, and who really cares about their feelings anyway?

I really think there's a healthy doese of perspective missing here. Buy yourself a plastic Marine set, and your'e getting cheaper figs than if you buy a two PHR walker pack. The large dropships are the same price as a rhino, but have a much smaller footprint. It goes on and on. To look at games that are more comparable, you get much larger ships for about the same price point with Dystopian Wars, and they're just as detailed.

Further, as Daemonette intimated, the game doesn't not have a built in player base yet. That's not to say it wont, but we're not likely to see a 500 man tournament at Adepticon next year.

The custom case is a "bit" underwhelming to me (because I'm a BattleFoam hoarder) if only because the case is made of cardboard. I'd really like to see how much extra space the case allows for so I can see how much expansion room there is.

Don't get me wrong: I think the models are lovely and I think it is a really impressive effort by this lone dude to get this stuff produced, but like I said before, I think some perspecitve is in order.
    I will give you that brother.....perspective that is. I guess I just loss my 40k way ya know?

Not only that....I'm restricted to 2 games and 2 games only.....Dust was a must.....it's just cool and I can't wait to get games in with you guys. DzC....well......it's up there......I've always been a big SciFi geek and this is right up my alley.

Veteran-Sergeant

This guy could have had me and my friends literally emptying our pockets at Salute (and many others no doubt), but he didn't!
    That takes a lot of restraint imo, to hold back until he's happy with the whole product seems to be rare these days. His commitment to this project is incredible and attention to detail exceptional.
    I'm a model junkie, total sucker for a pretty range and a notorious impulse buyer too, but even if I wasn't, I'd still buy into this range. I'm going for the UCM (Mega deal), and not ruling out the PHR or Shaltari at some point too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast