BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ulrika (series) Thread

Bloodsworn

By Nathan Long

Spoiler free review:
    Bloodswordn is the third book in the Ulrika the Vampire series that chronicles the events of Ulrika, former companion of Gotrek and Felix, after she is turned into a vampire. Both the previous books have been very good and in my opinion Bloodsworn is the best of them. The pacing is excellent, Ulrika continues to develop nicely, and there are some genuine twists and tragic thingamies throughout. Notable cameos by Ludwig Schwarzhelm and Karl Franz are pretty damned epic. This seems to be perhaps the end of a 'Nuln' story arc as most if not all the loose ends from the first book (Bloodborn) are resolved.

In my opinion not just a great Warhammer novel but a great novel.

5 Bloody Puncture Marks out of 5.

Random Spoiler review:

Turn away now already.

Ok, don't say I didn't warn you.

Highlight:
    Ulrika is great as always. Rushes back to Praag to defend her mistress form the Sylvanian plot uncovered in the previous book (Bloodforged) only to go off in a huff within hours when they decide to lock her away as penance for running off. So naturally she runs off again, with tragic consequences. Ulrika gets some real badass moments though, like blowing the head off a centuries old Vampire with a pistol she stole from some witch hunters she slaughtered (with silver shot) and riding a zombie griffon through a fusillage of gun & cannon fire to crash on aship in the middle of a melee between the Reiksguard and Sylvanian forces. Her vow to be a 'good' vampire preying only on the wicked goes awry after another bunch of witch hunters get their hands on her friend Famke.

Poor Famke totally doesn't deserve what happens to her, but hopefully it sets up the plot for a future book if Ulrika goes off in search of a cure.

Some good insights into the Lahmians in this book, their sheer variety and the fact that there are miliant Lahmians just like there are scheming ones. Likewise the Sylvanians/von Carsteins are showns as being more thab just bloodthirsty warriors.

Karl Franz, Ludwig Schwarzhelm and the Reiksguard make some pretty epic appearances towards the end of the book. The Reiksguard are really shown to be a superior brand of cavalry.

Nathan Long does a great job at depicting the mix of religious zealotry and human nobility that makes up the Empire and through the depictions of unremitting persecution does actually make the vampires, even the Sylvanians, into almost sympathetic characters.

The teacherous ***** Otillia and the horrible Witch Hunter Meinhart Schenk all get their comeuppance.
    Last edited by eldargal; 06-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Oooooh! Sounds like a good book, I must confess that I haven't read any of the Ulrika books, though I'm familiar with the character from G+F. I'll give these a read!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

I strongly recommend the series, easily my favourite WFB books from Black Library to date, very Warhammer in feel, very well written and just genrally emjoyable in my opinion.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brunner still gets my vote!

Brother-Captain

Brunner is very good, really gritty stories though I wish the plot threads left dangling would be resolved someday. I've read the first 2 Ulrika novels, so looking forward to reading this one when I can afford a copy.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Veteran-Sergeant

i Suppose they still sell all 3 books at the local stores eh? i hope atleast, don't care muh for ordering online if i can avoid it. i'm not fond of todays vampires but it sounds like Ulrika is pretty awesome. although it's basically impossible to be "good" vampire in warhammer land no?

Actually whether or not it is possible to be a 'good' vampire is one of the themed of the book, you'll have to read it to see. Most GW stores should have the three books or at least be able to order them for you in-store.

Chapter-Master

You planning on reading Valkia? Love to know what you thought of it.

www.queencityguard.com

Yup, going to advance order it within the week, unless I forget or get distracted.
    Last edited by eldargal; 06-12-2012 at 01:07 AM.

I'll buy it when it gets released, Valkia is one of my favourite characters.
    By the way, Luthor Huss is brilliant.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast