BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is vanilla

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DuskRaider View Post
    Vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla native to Mexico. Etymologically, vanilla derives from the Spanish word "vainilla", little pod. Originally cultivated by Pre-Columbian Mesoamerican peoples, Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés is credited with introducing both the spice and chocolate to Europe in the 1520s. Attempts to cultivate the vanilla plant outside Mexico and Central America proved futile because of the symbiotic relationship between the tlilxochitl vine that produced the vanilla orchid and the local species of Melipona bee; it wasn't until 1837 that Belgian botanist Charles François Antoine Morren discovered this fact and pioneered a method of artificially pollinating the plant. Unfortunately, the method proved financially unworkable and was not deployed commercially. In 1841, a 12-year-old French-owned slave by the name of Edmond Albius, who lived on Île Bourbon, discovered the plant could be hand pollinated, allowing global cultivation of the plant.

There are currently three major cultivars of vanilla grown globally, all derived from a species originally found in Mesoamerica, including parts of modern day Mexico. The various subspecies are Vanilla planifolia (syn. V. fragrans), grown on Madagascar, Réunion and other tropical areas along the Indian Ocean; V. tahitensis, grown in the South Pacific; and V. pompona, found in the West Indies, Central and South America. The majority of the world's vanilla is the V. planifolia variety, more commonly known as "Madagascar-Bourbon" vanilla, which is produced in a small region of Madagascar and in Indonesia.

Vanilla is the second most expensive spice after saffron, due to the extensive labor required to grow the vanilla seed pods. Despite the expense, it is highly valued for its flavor, which author Frederic Rosengarten, Jr. described in The Book of Spices as "pure, spicy, and delicate" and its complex floral aroma depicted as a "peculiar bouquet." Regardless of its high cost, vanilla is widely used in both commercial and domestic baking, perfume manufacture and aromatherapy.

Sorry, couldn't help it after reading the title
    Bugger, beat me to it...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by foostoofoo View Post
    So Ive heard a lot of people say vanilla marines. So what exactly is vanilla
    A term used for players using Ultramarines in the 4th edition of the game.

The term Vanilla is not valid anymore, and it is rarely used.

The new SM Codex is anything but Vanilla anymore, just like any other codex.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by foostoofoo View Post
    So Ive heard a lot of people say vanilla marines. So what exactly is vanilla
    Well actually its a Bean that produces a lovely flavoured syrip that was originally used to sweeten Chocolate.
    Oh wait! you mean in Warhammer 40K

Well generally it means a standard Codex Marine Chapter that has no special characteristics to make it different to hundreds of others.
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Librarian

Cool

Vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla native to Mexico. Etymologically, vanilla derives from the Spanish word "vainilla", little pod. Originally cultivated by Pre-Columbian Mesoamerican peoples, Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés is credited with introducing both the spice and chocolate to Europe in the 1520s. Attempts to cultivate the vanilla plant outside Mexico and Central America proved futile because of the symbiotic relationship between the tlilxochitl vine that produced the vanilla orchid and the local species of Melipona bee; it wasn't until 1837 that Belgian botanist Charles François Antoine Morren discovered this fact and pioneered a method of artificially pollinating the plant. Unfortunately, the method proved financially unworkable and was not deployed commercially. In 1841, a 12-year-old French-owned slave by the name of Edmond Albius, who lived on Île Bourbon, discovered the plant could be hand pollinated, allowing global cultivation of the plant.

There are currently three major cultivars of vanilla grown globally, all derived from a species originally found in Mesoamerica, including parts of modern day Mexico. The various subspecies are Vanilla planifolia (syn. V. fragrans), grown on Madagascar, Réunion and other tropical areas along the Indian Ocean; V. tahitensis, grown in the South Pacific; and V. pompona, found in the West Indies, Central and South America. The majority of the world's vanilla is the V. planifolia variety, more commonly known as "Madagascar-Bourbon" vanilla, which is produced in a small region of Madagascar and in Indonesia.

Vanilla is the second most expensive spice after saffron, due to the extensive labor required to grow the vanilla seed pods. Despite the expense, it is highly valued for its flavor, which author Frederic Rosengarten, Jr. described in The Book of Spices as "pure, spicy, and delicate" and its complex floral aroma depicted as a "peculiar bouquet." Regardless of its high cost, vanilla is widely used in both commercial and domestic baking, perfume manufacture and aromatherapy.
    I'd give this a 8.9/10.00

Veteran-Sergeant

Personally I see 'vanilla' as an army that has been taken direct from the core of the SM:codex, painted to match a 'standard' chapter and used similarly. There is nothing wrong with that and I have seen many splendid armies that are 'vanilla'.

However, I prefer to let my imagination and creativity flow and work beyond the brief given by GW. Thus all my forces have developed back-stories, and their composition and heraldry is unique and matches that backstory.

There again I am a heretic...

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    I'd give this a 8.9/10.00
    I'm going to have to give it a -10.0/10.0 since it is just copied from Wikipedia and there is no citation. That is called "plagerism", boys and girls.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    I'm going to have to give it a -10.0/10.0 since it is just copied from Wikipedia and there is no citation. That is called "plagerism", boys and girls.

Think you'll find it's actually called "Plagiarism."

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post

You think I'm actually going to type anything out? lol

You think I'm actually going to type anything out? lol
    Poor work ethic! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12