Troops
    Terminators (10) w/ 2 psycannons, 2 hammers, 6 halberds - 450
    Terminators (5) w/ 1 hammer, 4 halberds, psycannon - 225

Fast Attack
    Stormraven Gunship w/ TLMM and TLLC - 205

Heavy Support
    Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter - 205

This is what I came up with, and it has 30 points spare. As you say, the grenades shouldn't be necessary (they are amazing though), and it leaves me more flexibility, especially with Grand Strategy.
    Should I try to fit Hurricane Bolters on the Stormraven or fit in upgrades elsewhere?

Also, the reason for so many halberds was the way I assembled my only squad so far. Should I change it around to include more swords and warding staves? (I have 4 halberds and 1 daemon hammer and a psycannon so far) That would definitely make the unit more durable, especially against models that I would go first against anyway (power fists, power axes, etc).

If you guys think it is necessary as well, I am happy to completely change the list around to something entirely different. I've only got a Terminator squad, a Dreadnought (though without the 2x AC, I can get those at a later point) and Coteaz (to serve as an Inquisitor model) so far.

I actually had a thought, the rulebook says that rounding up is the number of units that can start in reserve, right? So, for example, if I still wanted to do dual Stormravens and dual Dreadknights, would it be possible if I had a single HQ choice instead of 2? I'm pretty sure for working out how many units can start in reserve, you round up if it is an odd number (after removing units that must start in reserve of course).
    For example, 1 GM, 2 Terminator units start in reserve, 2 Dreadknights don't? Just a thought if it would then make that list legal and thus viable (if it's not, don't worry )
    Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-21-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Chapter-Master

I did have a look at the rulebook, and it works out that you do round up your army for the purposes of putting half in reserve. So if I had two Terminators units and a Grand Master in reserve, with the two Dreadknights starting on the board, that would then be a legal list and still incorporate the dual Stormravens.

If that was the case, I could do this;

HQ
    Grand Master w/ meltabombs, empyrean brain mines (I had 10 points spare) - 190

Troops
    Terminators (5) w/ 1 hammer, 2 halberds, 2 swords, psycannon - 225

Fast Attack
    Stormraven Gunship w/ TL multi-melta, TL Assault Cannon, psybolt - 225

Heavy Support

With the Grand Master to make the Dreadknights scoring or whatever else would suit my cause, it's still not as good for objectives missions as what you guys said but it is better than what I had before. I included the warding staves on the Justicar and swords on normals so that I can at least attempt to soak up those power first/power axe/MC attacks, and my Justicar is frightfully good in a challenge. The Stormravens have the MM and LC loadout so that they are dedicated anti-tank.

I still see issues with this list, i.e. the lonely Dreadknights, the lack of scoring units (helped at least by Grand Strategy), the Terminators still aren't terribly durable, etc.
    It's just another idea to throw around I guess. On average I should have four scoring units, the bare minimum I will have is three.

Looking back on it now, I think the TLAC would work better than the TLLC, especially if I combine it with Psybolt. I was curious, would it be worth dropping the warding staves on the Justicars so I can give psybolt to the Stormravens so they effectively have Psycannons? I've edited the list again so if you are confused as to what I am referring to, I had warding staves on the Justicars and Lascannons on the Stormravens.

I actually compared the two lists in terms of total shots in a player turn (assuming no dead models, all models get to fire, etc);
    List 1
    BS6 - 2 Storm Bolter Shots
    BS4 - 24 Storm Bolter Shots
    BS4 - 12 Psycannon Shots
    BS4 - 1 Multi-Melta Shot
    BS4 - 1 Lascannon Shot

List 2
    BS6 - 2 Storm Bolter Shots
    BS4 - 16 Storm Bolter Shots
    BS4 - 16 Psycannon Shots
    BS4 - 2 Multi-Melta Shots

I think List 2 actually deals better with tanks and medium/heavy infantry, but it is worse at dealing with light infantry, and obviously there are less models.
    It is all a matter of circumstance though; List 2 is much more mobile, and is essentially an all-out assault army. List 1 is less mobile but has elements of both holding and seizing ground. List 1 is more flexible, but List 2 benefits from being more focussed.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-21-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Chapter-Master

This is the list I've come up with;

HQ
    Grand Master w/ rad grenades - 190

Troops

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

I am pretty happy with it and it is legal (half army rounding up so 3/5 = legal) - again though, I'm quite open to suggestion and I can see there would be many ways to change this. I wanted to do a legal dual Dreadknight/Stormraven list with a Terminator core but I'm not fussed.

I was curious though, if I was to expand my army for 2000 points and still keep this kind of core, what would be the best way to go? Obviously a few more troops choices, and in general more bodies will be necessary at 2000. Someone mentioned to me a mini Draigo-wing to march up the board (one Pally unit, Draigo) to support the Dreadknights but at 2000 points sheer weight of fire will render those 2+ saves null and void. I was thinking more along the lines of a few strike squads in rhinos, maybe a purgation squad, and I wouldn't be opposed to interceptors either.

Maybe adding something like this in?
    Strike Squad (10) w/ two psycannons, daemon hammer, psybolt - 250
    Strike Squad (10) w/ two psycannons, daemon hammer, psybolt - 250
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-23-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Chapter-Master

I'm actually curious now, is the 2 swords, 2 halberds, 1 daemon hammer the way I should outfit my Terminators, especially given the way I want to run them? Also obviously the psycannon.

Chapter-Master

EDIT: GAH!!! Rage....I forgot, Chimeras can't be taken by Terminators as dedicated transports! Ergh....ok, list rewrite.
    My main issue is I want to use my 10 Terminators, the problem is fitting them into a decent list that has lots of bodies to support them rather than a stupid 15 model army. I'd rather not waste the models I've bought. If I run them on foot I guess that could work but then I just see them as an easy target that will take a few turns to get into the thick of things. The alternatives aren't much better unfortunately, deep striking is too unreliable for my tastes. There is the whole teleport homer route I could go but.....eh.

EDIT 2:

Ok, this is what I've come up with again.

HQ
    Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ terminator armour, psyker mastery level 1 - 95
    Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ daemon hammer - 40

Troops
    Strike Squad (5) w/ psycannon, daemon hammer, razorback, psybolt - 170
    Terminators (5) w/ psycannon - 225
    Terminators (5) w/ psycannon - 225

Heavy Support
    Dreadnought w/ two twin-linked autocannons, psybolt - 135

On the 2 HQ's, I had 135 points spare after doing everything else and I really had no idea what to do with it; I was planning on just running a base Inquisitor as my sole HQ, but had 110 points spare that I couldn't really put to use. Then I thought, hey! I have both the Draigo and Coteaz models! Then it dawned on me; a Malleus Inquisitor takes terminator armour and gets a daemon hammer, but when he becomes a psyker he gets to change a weapon out for a force sword. This way, I don't put any of my models to waste - though I think some people will give me very strange looks (so....your Draigo there.....he's an Inquisitor?).
    Terminators go on foot, maybe soaking up fire for my other more valuable/fragile stuff, and get into assault in Turn 3/4, shooting all the way at targets of opportunity. I guess I may as well put both Inquisitors in with the Terminators for laughs.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.

A few pieces of advice.

For regular terminators, I would play a sword on the justicar, three halberds, and a hammer on the psycannon.

In general, swords aren't that good, but they have a place, I think, in helping the Justicar through challenges, but Halberds and hammers are the go-to. Only one sword. two or three halberds. one or two hammers, I think.

With regard to the inquisitors, don't play Draigo as an inquisitor--just play Coteaz as Coteaz. He's really good, and his ability to take divination powers (which you should definitely do) makes him even better.

You can find somewhere else to put those last points.

Actually, bring the terminators as a single unit of ten (you can always combat squad them if you want) and buy that unit psybolt ammo.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    A few pieces of advice.

For regular terminators, I would play a sword on the justicar, three halberds, and a hammer on the psycannon.

In general, swords aren't that good, but they have a place, I think, in helping the Justicar through challenges, but Halberds and hammers are the go-to. Only one sword. two or three halberds. one or two hammers, I think.

With regard to the inquisitors, don't play Draigo as an inquisitor--just play Coteaz as Coteaz. He's really good, and his ability to take divination powers (which you should definitely do) makes him even better.

You can find somewhere else to put those last points.

Actually, bring the terminators as a single unit of ten (you can always combat squad them if you want) and buy that unit psybolt ammo.
    The only issue is I've already assembled the Termies - 8 halberds, 2 daemon hammers, 2 psycannons.

Other than that, I'll do that Thanks for the advice!

After doing what you suggested, I had 15 points spare, so I master-crafted the daemon-hammers on the Strike Squads. I was actually wondering, is the daemon hammer better taken on a Strike Squad Justicar than a normal Strike Squad member due to the extra attack? The obvious problem is if he dies from Perils I lose a daemon-hammer - but then again, I've got three Psyflemen dreadnoughts and loads of psycannons anyway - that and he can easily be killed by a higher initiative character in a challenge.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-27-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    The only issue is I've already assembled the Termies - 8 halberds, 2 daemon hammers, 2 psycannons.

Other than that, I'll do that Thanks for the advice!
    Oh, yeah, well, that's good, too. Swords are certainly not necessary.

After doing what you suggested, I had 15 points spare, so I master-crafted the daemon-hammers on the Strike Squads. I was actually wondering, is the daemon hammer better taken on a Strike Squad Justicar than a normal Strike Squad member due to the extra attack? The obvious problem is if he dies from Perils I lose a daemon-hammer - but then again, I've got three Psyflemen dreadnoughts and loads of psycannons anyway - that and he can easily be killed by a higher initiative character in a challenge.
    Seems reasonable.

Putting the hammer on the Justicar definitely makes it more fragile. The problem is that putting it on anyone else means that you get one less attack with it, which is a shame. Mastercrafting helps with that, but, even so, there's some give and take either way.

Try it on the justicars first. If this results in the hammer dying too often or being neutered by challenges too often, then switch.

Chapter-Master

Will do, cheers.

I came up with a 2000 point list recently, this is what it turned out to be;

HQ
    Grand Master w/ psybolt - 180

Elites
    Purifiers (5) w/ two psycannons, daemon hammer - 145

Troops
    Terminators (10) w/ 2 psycannons, psybolt - 470

Heavy Support

I added the Grand Master to make more scoring units - out of either the Purifiers or Dreadnoughts - or whatever else suits the game. The Purifiers are there as added fire-support - I really wasn't sure what I could add to this list at 2000, and I thought adding 15 more bodies wouldn't hurt, especially given how much more dakka it brings. I thought about switching the Grand Master out for Crowe - a model I don't have - so that the Purifiers are troops, but then I thought I'd be over the troops unit limit and also if I did that I should really change the whole list to be a Purifier spam list.

Anyway, that was my idea for additions at 2000 points. The army ends up having 11 psycannons as well as the three Psyflemen dreadnoughts (and the Psybacks) - they can deal with pretty much any mech army thrown at me (except for flier spam) and still shred infantry. I really don't know what I should do for that extra 500 points.
    Another idea even would be to add in a pair of Stormravens and fit the Terminators in to them? Still, it wouldn't bring as much dakka as the Purifiers, though it gives me a better method of dealing with the fliers - not that there are very many anyway. I'm kind of bummed for ideas haha.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 07-29-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Staves are awesome now. I buy them on every Justicar I can find the points for, and it's worked brilliantly.

I would also take two hammers, now that Terminators are more durable and NFWs aren't AP2.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast