BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default 40k release in New Zealand & Australia

So thanks to the international date line it's 9:30 in the morning here and I had been handed earlier this week the same 23 VI 12 card as the rest of the world. However there's no new release details on the either GW New Zealand or Australia sites.

I guess they're doing a simultaneous release time worldwide ...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by mysterex View Post
    So thanks to the international date line it's 9:30 in the morning here and I had been handed earlier this week the same 23 VI 12 card as the rest of the world. However there's no new release details on the either GW New Zealand or Australia sites.

I guess they're doing a simultaneous release time worldwide ...
    Release tends to occur at midnight BST. At least us yanks, get it 'early'!

Occuli Imperator

In GW there is only one timezone. (I was going to say GMT, but we are currently on BST)
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Battle-Brother

I'm struggling to describe how I feel about the price difference between the UK and Australia. Dismay comes close. Surprise didn't enter into it at all - I knew they'd screw us if they could.

Occuli Imperator

A straight conversion would never work for prices.
    GW sells regionally, so each region needs to fund itself to be able to grow, aside from an an initial region launch obviously, so although the prices are higher, the player numbers are lower. As this [URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/06/editorial-gw-double-edged-sword-of.html"]excellent article[/URL] explains lowering their price doesn't mean more players and therefore would mean a cut or loss in revenue. Other consideration also need to be taken into account, differences in local taxation, cost of transport from Nottingham to wherever, also, the cost of living. I'm sure none of this goes to make you feel any better but I am sorry for you.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

What is really bizarre is that the extremely expensive ultimate bundle is sold out in Australia. It was around £300 or something. Bizarre. the collectors edition is sold out too. Ultimate bundle is sold out in the US also
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    A straight conversion would never work for prices.
    GW sells regionally, so each region needs to fund itself to be able to grow, aside from an an initial region launch obviously, so although the prices are higher, the player numbers are lower. As this [URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/06/editorial-gw-double-edged-sword-of.html"]excellent article[/URL] explains lowering their price doesn't mean more players and therefore would mean a cut or loss in revenue. Other consideration also need to be taken into account, differences in local taxation, cost of transport from Nottingham to wherever, also, the cost of living. I'm sure none of this goes to make you feel any better but I am sorry for you.
    Cheers. I understand everything that comes into play but it's around a 70% markup which chokes me up a bit. Thank Jeebus for my British friends and the Royal Mail.

Banned

The Gamer's Edition sold out first - hours before I got the release email describing it in awesome detail.

Occuli Imperator

Sad times

Banned

Eh, I got the collector's edition so I'm ok - but it did eat up my (significantly reduced in recent times) slice of GW hobby budget for the rest of the year (and then some) so, yeah, won't be buying anything else from them for a while.

My biggest issue is, especially with rulebooks / codexes, that it hurts the initial buy in when for only $20 more than the base rulebook I could go to Target at the moment and get a Wii with 3 games; or a xBox 320gig with 4 games and a kinect unit at Target for less that a rulebook, codex and battleforce (sans paints etc).

Also having companies such as Privateer, Infintiy and Reaper sold here for direct exchange, or very close to, values just makes GW look really bad.
    The new edition would have been a great opportunity to get a lot of the lost goodwill back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast