BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    40k has been RUINED FOREVER!
    lols
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

I am really looking foward to the allies. I play primarlily Sisters and Eldar. Not only can I combine them, but can now bring some much needed firepower to my beloved Sisters. Back in 2nd ed. Sisters could ally with SM, and I have a Dreadnought painted up for my Sisters already!

Rather than focus on how you think this may break the game (none of us have the rules yet, and so don't know the exact wording or details of the rules), lets focus on what fun variables this will bring.

I really want to paint some Dark Eldar and Grey Knights models...now I have a viable reason to buy them, cause I can use them in games as allies!

This is a great boon for all us painters, collectors, and enthusiasts who just want more models and some fun variety in our collections.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Montserrat View Post
    Allies gonna kill 40k, give it enougth time.

Dont count me in, and i have almost 700 models in 3 armys.
    I can haz ur stuffz?

Librarian

I am rather tempted to add a a guard squad and a commander to my marines ala the space marine game.

Battle-Brother

It sounds like the ally detachment has it's own FOC and does not share with the other FOC.

So Tyranids with ally Tyranids could have in it:

6 Tervigons and 4 Trygons

I've thought that there could be some interesting combos in the space marine codex if you had 3 HQs. It sounds like you now could. Deathstars could be very nasty. Chaplain + Shrike + Khan + Assault Termies (or any Blood Angels unit)

An 8 dreadnought list could be trouble.

12 basilisks

etc.

Scout

Speaking as someone that has been playing since rogue trader, I remember the very broken armies of 2nd and 3rd editions, where the inclusion of 1 or 2 models could wipe your opponent, with a bit of trepidation. I was not a fan of it then, and until i'm more able to see how it will affect the game now i'm trying quite hard to view this as a possible good thing for the game. Though I do have some problems with the listing of who can ally with who, i'm trying hard to reserve my dislike of the idea. Some of the more broken things I can foresee is lists like Tau/Necron lists made specifically to get benefit from the Necrons ability to turn day to night, and the Tau's ability to have increased night fighting distances. Just to name one of the possible problems. If the ally listing made a bit more sense like marines with other marines and on occasion with sister or guard, but Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, Tau, Necrons, ect. should be right out. Yes I know any good commander would use just about anything as disposable shock troops, the marine chapters have a very defined view of reality, and I cannot see a chapter like say the Salamanders allying with the Eldar except in the most dire of circumstances, and then probably turning on them as soon as they're use was no longer to the marines benefit. And I really don't see any marine chapter ever allying with Orks or Necrons, a zeno is still a zeno no matter what way you try to put a spin on it. Even some of the more "out there" chapters, marines malevolent, still have a very defined sense of honor, even if it is just as they precieve it to be.

K, I'm starting to see how the different types of allies, desperate, convenience, battle brothers, etc... allows for the fluff to remain unchanged. In a way it might actually support the current fluff more than detract from it. That was a pretty clever approach by GW.

Occuli Imperator

I think the thing I like best about this allies is that you can start a new army without having to buy 1000pts worth from the outset, so you can start you IG as a detachment for your main army and slowly build it up over time.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456