BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar in 6th

I'm actually going to write to GW with some rules/FAQ concerns and one of them will be the utter uselessness of the Wave Serpent now. For 100+ points we get three hull points, a useless energy shield, ability to fire two overpriced or average weapons and drop off a unit somewhere it can be shot to peices/assaulted by everything else. Compare to the raider, three hull points, bright lance thrown in, can be assaulted out of, slightly more fragile, faster with useful upgrades for 60% of the cost.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

The Serpent is the bottom end of the totem pole for transports

Remeber it gets a 5+ save now! And the energy shield isn't entirely useless....it makes lascannons and railguns and melta guns as good as missile launchers.

I have serious issue with the hull point scale. As it stands a Chimera, a Wave Serpent and a Leman Russ are all as good as each pther. And the Necron ark, is AV11, and more resistant?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Wow. I wish that my transport had a good gun. My Storm Wardens pray for a decent 10 man transport, Rhinos are sh!t.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Sure the energy field protects against higher strength weapons, but it only takes a bit more S6 fire to strip away hull points now. I actually like the hull point system and think it balances mech nicely, but wave serpents need to energy shield to make the mdurable again otherwise they are obscenely overpriced. They were overpriced before, of course, but more so now.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

[QUOTE=Tzeentch's I wish that my transport had a good gun. My Storm Wardens pray for a decent 10 man transport, Rhinos are sh!t.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but rhinos are what 35pts? Can get 3 of yours for one of ours.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Well, Wave serpents got a 5+ jink you can combine. You only need a 25% facing cover to get a save, so can move and use even a vyper squadron for cover, not talking about almost every bit of ruins you can think of...
    They´re not good, but a small buff is a small buff. My main concern is I used Serpents as reliable heavy weapon bearers, and they´re also still good at that, but got too fragile for a Take All Comers tourney army featuring your regular SW or GK. I had a chance with the damage result roll. Only chance I would now is with Fortune, but fortuning vehicles is a last resort for me. I usually got better things to doom, fortune or guide...

I prayed for something like the hull point system to get done with invulnerable vehicles through bad luck damage results. But I feel the actual 6th edition hull point ruling it´s very badly thought of, as things like Long Fangs and Psyflemen now auto kill most vehicles on a single barrage. You encourage high strength, high fp antitank damage, but it´s still, as it was in 5th safer to go with cheap mid-strenght mass fire that will auto kill vehicles more surely than lascannons.

Think Wave Serpents are bad? Talk about two-hull-pointed AV 10 vypers and most hurting of all, War Walkers. I just shelved my war walkers for the while and got the Reapers out again.

Also, I think we´ll mostly see two farseer FOCs this early, but still love my Jetbike, laser lance Autarch. I used to have an Autarch Delivery Vehicle (some guardian jetbikes with a warlock). Now Shining Spears do that waaaay better, even if a expensive choice. Skilled Rider gives 3++ on approach and ignores dangerous terrain tests. Autarch detachs when near to fire fusion gun and/or assault in combination with the Spears. Also, a Fast Attack choice due for scoring on some scenarios. Remains to be seen which of them will be picked up for Tourneys.

Also, a primer on Avengers. You can move them to wall around your choice of unit, discharge Bladestorm and STILL snap fire. Bladestorm clearly states no shooting NEXT shooting phase. Nothing about the opponent´s assault phase Can of course combo that with the power that lets you snap fire at full BS

Also nobody has mentioned how the Night Spinner went very much down the drain. Even if it´s now strenght 6 all template against vehicles, Dangerous Terrain wounds allow armour save, ruining it for me. It´s not bad, just no longer worth a precious heavy slot on an Eldar Army.
    Last edited by Yarlen Fireblade; 07-03-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Yeah but rhinos are what 35pts? Can get 3 of yours for one of ours.
    4, actually. And all you really get is AV12, Skimmer, and a single heavy weapon.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Having lost a vehicle a turn to long fangs, I definately see how serpents can be a liability. I'll also not be using banshees for a while. However, most games will have night fighting at some point, where all our tanks will get a 4 or 3+ cover save at 12+ range. Played right that can more than make up for our shortcomings. There is also the 30 inch move we can make in the shooting phase with star engines (for a total of 42!) which can be pretty nice.

Librarian

Jetbikes gave +1 Toughness in 5th also.
    But now Turboboost states you can't perform any voluntary action AFTER you turboboost.
    So now that farseer can cast doom, fortune, guide and still turboboost with their jetbike squad!

I am a huge fan of Night Spinners and usually field 2 of them. Although Dangerous terrain tests now get armor saves...The fact that AP '-' is no longer a -1 on the vehicle damage charts makes them more useful for effecting light vehicles (looking at you clusters of Dark Eldar raiders!)

I don't see any real benefit for Star Engines anymore, but Vectored Engines are now finally useful.

Tank Hunters is now much better than in 5th IMO. Now it's a serious exarch power (and +2 on the damage chart for AP1) and makes those Fire Dragons serious tank killers.

I also think the squadron rules will help my War Walkers last longer.
    Oh, and snap firing guided Dark Reapers (when they need to move)!!! yes please!

All in all I'm very happy with the new rules and look forward to getting some flyers (still need opponents permission to use FW models).

Oh, and did you notice that the Reference appendix lists the Night Spinner as a Transport?! The FW Night Spinner can hold 6, perhaps a revision of our GW Night Spinner is forthcoming!?

Veteran-Sergeant

All I have to day is Power Axe welding Banshees @ I10 on the first charge and when charged at strength 4. I looked at both the faq, rulebook, and codex nothing says they cant. The wording for Unwelding just says strike at I1 unless u are walker or monstrous ceature.No where does it state they iqnore all modifiers to the Int., I looked and could not find anything anywhere. I even went as fas as looking it up in fifth just for wording and it does state it in there that u iqnore any modifiers never benefiting form them.

The codex just states they have power wepaons thats all, not swords looked in faq about it nothing so unless the faq it I will be buying some more banshees and puting power axes on them

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast