BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of White Dwarf these days?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subscribe to it and love it

13 15.12%
  • Subscribe to it and usually read it

4 4.65%
  • Subscribe and don't really read it

3 3.49%
  • Don't subscribe to it but love it

10 11.63%
  • Don't subscribe to it but usually read it

27 31.40%
  • Don't subscribe to it or read it

29 33.72%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Dwarf

I used to buy it but I cannot justify it anymore. It is way to expensive for what it offers these days in my opinion. I would rather put the money towards figs, terrain, paints and brushes etc. I also noticed they seem to be stacking up at my local shop. They used to sell out fairly fast but now there are 3 months of backed up WD on display.

Chaplain

Always thought it was outrageous that they charged you for what was essentially a catalogue.

Battle-Brother

I used to like it and have a subscription but I doubt I'll renew it this year. The articles that bugs me the most are not the LotR ones (which are just terrible btw) but the standard bearers that try to tell the player base that rising prices, lack of additional background, and new and exciting rules, is just a sign that they love us and think we should buy the latest greatest thing just created.

Battle-Brother

I cant believe that people still think of WD as a magazine when it is clearly a monthly catalogue update and nothing more.
    It is a very expensive one at that.
    I cant think of a single other company that charges £4.50 to tell me what I should be buying.
    If I need to see GW's new products I go on the website, saves me £4.50 and I can buy what I actually like. Plus I dont con myself into reading "articles" that are actually unrelenting praise for the new product of the month.
    Magazines have real reviews (that may not always be super positive), comic strips, letters pages, non profit biased articles, non GW products (or even adverts), etc...
    Does your wife/ Girl friend/ Mum think of the Avon catalogue as a magazine? and if so would she pay £4.50 a month for the pleasure of reading it?

To get more Tau fluff and background, I went on eBay and bought the White Dwarves that came out when the Tau were released.

Now those are hobby magazines. Fluff galore, background articles, excellent battle reports, how-to guides that aren't trying to sell me more bitz, limited ads.

Man, I knew the "modern" iteration of WD is bad, but I had never seen it so... graphically.

The Dark Mechanic

I'm not embarassed to admit I love White Dwarf, or at least I love getting it every month. Not every issue is equal to every other, but over the long haul I really enjoy it most of the time. The price has gotten a bit ridiculous, but there are ways around it a bit. First, subscribing is less expensive than buying it over the counter. Second, every year or so GW usually has some great deals on it to boost subscription rates. Over the years I've had free issues, free collector models, free $25 worth of any product I wanted for a 2-year subscription and so on. I usually wait till they have those kinds of offers, then resubscribe for multiple years at a time, especially if the offer comes just before a price hike. In this way, it's possible to have White Dwarf and enjoy it without spending too much money out of the budget for models, food, and other necessities.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Sergeant

Once in a while they have some good articles. It used to be something I looked forward to getting, but I now I think I read it from compulsion.

Chaplain

WD has really gone downhill since i started subscribing. when i started (June 2005), there was actually something to look forward to (like chapter approved- Deathwatch FTW). now it's just really bland, i really don't pay too much attention to it anymore. the soul has left WD. i do hope it returns, but as of this moment, i'm not re-subscribing for next year, unless i see some soul in the 'mag'.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Chapter-Master

nah, cant be bothered with it. Why pay all that much when there are free publications online that actually have content that is at least semi-interesting ? I'd rather re-read Firebase than get a new WD. I liked the WD's in the 90's when it had hobby articles, BACKROUND (im a fluffaddict so this is essential to me) and all kinds of other cool and interesting stuff.

Banned

I've been reading it off and on since the early 90's and it used to be great but now it really is just advertising. I'll pick it up if something catches my eye, but I'm disappointed every time. They need to look at No Quarter, Privateer Press' mag. It reminds me of what white dwarf used to be like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast