BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 6th Ed Balance - The Early Indicators...

So, it's been out for a day and a half, give or take, and no doubt battles have been had, and early impressions have been made.

How was it for you?

From what I've seen and experienced, it's succeeded in shaking up old tactics. Now it's much harder to pull off first or second turn assaults. Infantry has moved to a prominent position, as not only are Troops Choices still scoring units, but the change to Rapid Fire allows for much more fluid battle lines, moving up to support, and falling back to a strong position.

Tanks. Yeah. Dead early for me, but I'm liking what I've experienced. To take them down you need to get either slightly jammy with a penetrating hit, or take them down with concentrated fire. And what a concentration you need! After all, if your only option is to glance it to death, your not impeding it until it's out of hull points. Still very early days, but I see them being used with a lot more caution. Spotted a Dreadnought being hulled to death earlier today, losing two hull points to Bolters due to a naiive positioning (naiive as it was the respective players first game in 6th!).

But Tanks are also a lot more dependable when it comes to giving it some Dakka. Snapfire is paying dividends, as there is more incentive to move around, and take the risk. And with infantry having a longer reach, those rear armours are going to have to be considered more and more.

Combat is tasty. In my game, we stuck to the letter of the rule, so the Chaos Terminators had what they had (Mauls and Axes) letting my Warscythes really rule the roost! In future, I'll be giving my opponent an open choice. They're either ALL powersword equivalents, unless it's a Fist, Lightning Claw, Thunder Hammer etc, or they are WYSIWYG. I suspect this might be a popular 'gentleman's agreement'.

Fliers. Yeah. I had three. They were awesome! Helps that the Necron ones are specificed as having turretted Tesla, and the Death Ray rule specifies it has no facing (pick any point on the battlefield within 12".....). The speed and flexibility of these are most promising, though the limited turns means you have to box clever with them.

To be honest, from playing one, and spectating another it's still to early for me to make a judgement on the overall balance, but for now I'd say it's promising. I'm sure the filth will be uncovered sooner or later, but overall I'm not expecting any one strategy to be paramount. Transport heavy can stiil work, but is less of a no-brainer. Solid troop choices make even more sense, and Tanks remain capable of dishing out the pain, but ideally need some kind of support.

So for me, the outlook is positive. Now let's hear your tales. I would however request we keep to actual experience, whether first hand or witnessed. Keep the theoryhammer for other discussions yeah?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I havent had a game yet, but to me, until armies get a better mix for AA or tjey all get fliers, armies with Storm Ravens and Valks by the bucketload have a serious edge.

Ialso suspect all terminator armies are going to be a lot lot harder todeal with
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

The game I played featured Terminators, as did the one I watched. For the most part, they fell to infantry fire. Being able to effectively fall back and still pour it on. They worked for every pip of their armour! Though to be fair Necrons do have awesome anti-infantry!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

not having played a game yet, but have watched two, it all looks good so far. But I am concerned about the ally combos, with no restrictions on named or special characters. Only time will tell, and i may have to make a standard with logen pic on for how many times I kill him. lol
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So, it's been out for a day and a half, give or take, and no doubt battles have been had, and early impressions have been made.

Fliers. Yeah. I had three. They were awesome! Helps that the Necron ones are specificed as having turretted Tesla, and the Death Ray rule specifies it has no facing (pick any point on the battlefield within 12".....). The speed and flexibility of these are most promising, though the limited turns means you have to box clever with them.

where does it say that their teslas are in a turrent?

Snipers, are snipers, withe srg. Telion, fantastic. Oh and put them in a bastion, great. The ability to Preston shot special weapons and sgt. Out of a squad is amazing. Or at least that is what we have been seeing on our tables. Oh and fliers a really good to if you field them right, you really have to watch out for them over shooting there targets though.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Feldrance View Post
    where does it say that their teslas are in a turrent?
    Unit description states they're in a turret.