BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default What do you think of GW touting?

Touting is a UK term for buying up a limited resource (usually tickets) to sell on at a huge markup, and is a big problem because it hurts genuine fans, who miss out on getting tickets.

So 6th Edition has been on sale for under 3 days now, and there are already collectors editions on eBay for 3 or more times the book price (one buy it now @£210, one auction currently at £300). These people can't have even received the books yet.

What do people think of the practice? I'm personally disgusted at how unfair it is (and I didn't even want a book), imagine what it'd be like if you were for some reason unable to pre-order at midnight last week to find there are none left because of speculators.

Occuli Imperator

The problem is when is something being touted and when is something being sold on?
    Its quite straight forward if I brought loads of extra tickets to a concert and sold them on the night that is clear cut.
    If I brought a single malt that was only one of ten and kept it for 20 years and sold it at higher amount then I brought it for is that touting?
    There are a lot of collectors who buy items just as an investment
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

Personally, I can't see people paying £300 for a collectors edition.

Also, It's hardly unfair, GW could have put one per person, and even then they bought it to sell on. It may not be nice, but unfair it certainly isn't.
    For the Greater good.

It's unpleasant but practically speaking very hard to stop. The only way to put a stop to it is to not buy so they get stuck with a bunch of books they can't use.

Default Scalping is the term we use here

We use the term "scalping" here in America. "Scalpers" are folks who engage in scalping. Mostly it's a term that is used in conjunction with tickets to shows, games, and concerts. For example:

"Hey, I'd like to see Rush when they come to the AT&T Center. However, they are sold old. I guess I'll have to pay what the scalper is charging. Damn."

I've never heard of anyone scalping GW books. It makes sense, given the limited availability of the Collector's Edition. It just wouldn't have occurred to me.
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    We use the term "scalping" here in America.
    Cool story bro....
    lol just messing with ya

How limited was it though?

I mean i remember the "limited" 3rd or fourth edition rule book, I picked that up about six months after release, and they were still available well after that. Did they just hype it up more this time to sell them?

And surely unless it's numbered and comes with a certificate it's worthless as a limited edition...
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 07-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    How limited was it though?

I mean i remember the "limited" 3rd or fourth edition rule book, I picked that up about six months after release, and they were still available well after that. Did they just hype it up more this time to sell them?

And surely unless it's numbered and comes with a certificate it's worthless as a limited edition...
    From the words of my manager, only 4,000 of them world wide.
    For the Greater good.

Fairly sure GW limited the number of collectors/gamers editions people could buy, didn't they? If they do that then someome buying it to tout later for an inflated price isn't really doing any harm. The only problem is when people like that buy 5-10 or however many copies and prevent a lot of other people who actually want it from getting it

It's irritating, but if some idiot is willing to pay three or four times the retail price for a collectors edition 40k rulebook then they deserve whatever happens.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    From the words of my manager, only 4,000 of them world wide.
    That's reasonable.

I wished I'd thought on and bought two, one to pay for the other lol

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

On a 40k rule book? Meh. Just get the normal one.

Space Hulk? Buying 20 copies, just to make a quick buck? Well I hope Nurgle gobs in your pint you selfish arsehead.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast