BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I CANT stop!

Librarian

Default No 40,000 Step Program to Recovery

Aldramelech,

You already know where I come down on this one.

I would have responded to your post sooner, but I was out at the freeway off-ramp with a little plastic cup asking drivers/motorists for spare change. Many of them assumed I was an alcholic , but occassionally an angry driver would roll down their window and say "How do I know you are not going to take my money and just run off and buy GW products?" I would swear I was just an innocent wino, tell them I had not bought a tactical squad in years, and insist I was planning to get stinking drunk with their money and urinate all over myself.

These lies usually work, but it is hard to face the man in the mirror. Especially when you are too busy painting to look up at the mirror.

Xas: I guess your talking about endorphins? It has been proved that computer games do cause the body to produce them, so physical addiction is possible, I suggest that our hobby has many similar aspects.

ggg: Yep, with you there unfortunately! I often find myself doing that.

sangrail777: Totally with you! lol My wife tells her friends that if the house caught fire Id probably rescue the figures first! My daughter operates a 5 meter exclusion zone around my desk!

H.O.N. and A.X.: I find it nearly physically impossible to go into the shop for just the specific item I needed, Last week I went in for 1 pot of paint and came out with 3 pots and the space hulk novel!

I think the answer is HELL YES! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    Aldramelech,

You already know where I come down on this one.

I would have responded to your post sooner, but I was out at the freeway off-ramp with a little plastic cup asking drivers/motorists for spare change. Many of them assumed I was an alcholic , but occassionally an angry driver would roll down their window and say "How do I know you are not going to take my money and just run off and buy GW products?" I would swear I was just an innocent wino, tell them I had not bought a tactical squad in years, and insist I was planning to get stinking drunk with their money and urinate all over myself.

These lies usually work, but it is hard to face the man in the mirror. Especially when you are too busy painting to look up at the mirror.
    Id book into rehab, but I don't think they could help us! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

I'm quite sure I am. Hell, I'm broke and can't buy any more stuff atm but I'm getting bad withdrawals - I need one of them new Hellhound kits... or a chimera... or a new Catachan Command squad to build a suitably badass CS for Straken...

I tell ya, if I ever won the lottery the first thing I'd do is go to my local GW store, and buy every box of 40k minis they had.

And yeah, it's fun to look at the models when they're painted, too.

Evil Midnight Bomber

A friend of mine swears that GW puts some sort of touch-activated, highly-addictive substance into the plastic...so that as soon as the models are painted, you're no longer getting the "high" you got touching the new, bare models...

...and so off you go to the FLGS to buy more plastic crack, not even knowing why you can't put the flush clippers, glue and files down.

Myself, I call the sickness CMBS: Compulsive Model-Buying Syndrome. You might say [URL="http://ultramarineblues.blogspot.com/2009/03/sickness.html"]I'm familiar with the subject[/URL].
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

I'd have to agree there is an addiction possible with minis. My refrigerator stopped working 3 weeks ago. I havn't come up with the money to fix it, but I somehow managed to pre order some new space wolve models and the codex...

Veteran-Sergeant

As my loving wife reminds me, although she doesnt have any interest in wargaming, it a cheaper alternative than golf, safer than racing and better for our marriage than me hanging out at the strip clubs with friends (safer for me as well as she's a dam good shot) I've been playing since the RT days, and before just bought the model for D&D and my friends and I just made up rules. I do pull out some of my old minis mainly my spacemarines, and remember back in the simpler days before wife , kids, job, life etc............. But yes it is a good aditction.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

The Dark Mechanic

Do you think there is such a thing as GW addiction? Could you stop at any time?
    I don't have time to think about this question due to the 20-year backlog of models I have to build and paint.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Quote Originally Posted by ssylyss View Post
    I'd have to agree there is an addiction possible with minis. My refrigerator stopped working 3 weeks ago. I havn't come up with the money to fix it, but I somehow managed to pre order some new space wolve models and the codex...
    And I thought I needed help! lol

Chapter-Master

I am combating my backlog by requiring 2 painted models for every 1 that I now purchase. If I live to be 150 I should finish everything!

I do like to mix some old RT parts into my new models just to see if anyone notices.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 09-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast