BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Adeptus Custodes

Default Leave behind the big guns.

Which Black Library books would you all recommend as being good?

Don't rush out to tell me about Dan Abnett's latest work, I;m asking Which Black Library books would you all recommend as being good, other than those by BL's BIG GUNS

So, outside of Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill, Aaron Massive-Surname, Sandy Mitchell and the Horus Heresy Series , what is worth reading?

There's some great books out there (and many terrible ones)

What would you all recommend?
    More Necromunda please.

not sure who wrote it but i really enjoyed the word bearers triology

First-Captain

Fire Warrior I found to be rather good. It was my first BL book and it did a nice portrayal of Tau. It also disproves the BB of tau and marines.
    For the Greater good.

Adeptus Custodes

Fire Warrior the CS Goto Book that was a tie-in with the Computer game? I don't want to come across an internet bigot, but thats the worst BL book I've ever read. Possibly the worst book I've ever read. But you're entitled to your own opinion. Then again I liked the last chancers series which most people hate.

The word bearers series is ok. The first is the best in my opinion.

I liked Dead men walking.
    More Necromunda please.

Chaplain

Execution Hour was one of the first BL books I read, and re-reading it recently it's still quite enjoyable.

Last Chancers were good too, and Fire Warrior was better than a darn lot of other things that CS Goto has written. Eldar Prophecy was absolute rubbish, nevermind the Dawn of War tie-ins.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Chapter-Master

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan. Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. Joker One, Donovan Campbell's memoir of the Iraq war.

Because, frankly, there is better stuff out there than the Black Library.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

if you can find any of the old BL comics such as redeemer, dictato or kal jericio those are a good read

@akh

what i like my magical transformin predetors-rhinos-LR's and my lasguns, layzguns and lahsssssguns
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Captain

Your question is kind of...odd...because you're looking for (presumably) 40k works from Black Library...that are worth reading...outside of all of the ones that people regard as being the best (including the best authors and one of their biggest and best series).

So...outside of the good stuff, which 40k books from Black Library are good? Ummm...

While I haven't read quite as much BL stuff as I'd like, what little I have read outside of the top authors/Horus Heresy (which has its share of 'meh' and sucky books/stories as well) has not impressed me.

There's probably a reason all the ones you listed are regarded as the 'good stuff'.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Adeptus Custodes

I suppose it is a little odd, but those guys get most of the attention. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations outside of that sphere of writers. There are a few good books that don't come from any of them and I wanted to see which ones people would recommend. I'll have to track down execution hour.
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

C.L. Werner does some good stuff, you may want to check out his works. If you want to venture into fantasy, Mike Lee and Gav Thorpe did some good work with the Time of Legends series. And Bill King is pretty highly rated for Gotrek and Felix, his new book on Macharius might be worth a read.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast