BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Special Power "axes"

Wondering if anyone has run into this yet and found a good solution:

Dante's weapon, The Axe Mortalis, has a special listing calling it a master-crafted power weapon. The rule for power weapon says to look at the model to tell what type.

Following that logic, it would seem the Axe Mortalis is a Power Axe (+1S AP2, Unwieldy).

However, I've heard the argument that since it is a special weapon listed separately, it counts as the power sword.

See also Astorath's Executioner's Axe.

I'm, personally, leaning towards the weapon being a Power Axe (+1S, AP2). I'd be really sad about him striking at I1, but +1S and AP2 is kind of cool...

Has anyone seen anything or heard anything that might give a definitive answer? The FAQ was no help, which is either a glaring hole or GW thinks the solution is obvious and simple.

I have posted the same question in an above post called weapon swap,but I've also been reading a very large post on Bolter and Chainsword on this topic. General opinion there's is that because Dante's weapon is "Maste crafted" and it's named that it qualifies as a special case as stated in the BRB,and is therefore a AP 3 weapon used at Int. it's gonna take a actual FAQ to straighten this out it would seem

Chapter-Master

The rulebook states, under 'unusual power weapons' p61:
    "If a power weapon has it's own unique close combat rules, treat it as an AP3 Melee weapon with the additional rules and characteristics presented in its entry."
    As Dante's axe has rules covered by the rulebook and no unqiue ones, follow what it says in the rulebook - master crafted power axe. Welcome to the forum!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Master Crafted doesn't matter, I don't think. You can have a master crafted power maul, or whatever. It looks like the one exception to unusual special rules, and that's consistent with the FAQ's. And having a name for the weapon isn't a special rule. Unless there's anything else, you can't use the Unusual Power Weapon clause.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    The rulebook states, under 'unusual power weapons' p61:
    "If a power weapon has it's own unique close combat rules, treat it as an AP3 Melee weapon with the additional rules and characteristics presented in its entry."
    As Dante's axe has rules covered by the rulebook and no unqiue ones, follow what it says in the rulebook - master crafted power axe. Welcome to the forum!
    I agree with this.

OTOH, anyone i play with would let me use it as either one as long as I let them know before the game starts.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melon-neko View Post
    I agree with this.

OTOH, anyone i play with would let me use it as either one as long as I let them know before the game starts.
    Yeah, I'm hoping my gaming buddies let me do the same. I modeled my marines up with axes cos I think they look cooler and I'm not stuck with a bunch of dudes striking last. Almost as bad as when Cruddace made Nid warriors all have to be armed the same, man that was a pain.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

I've had to re-arm so many old metal GK models...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

And your comment about having a Master Crafted Power maul in the case of Lemartes. GW clarified that one in the FAQs, what exactaly it was. Also see Kharns FAQ in the Chaos section,where GW also has made clarification.both supporting the ideal that GW may view Dante's weapon is Special,and therefore AP3 @ Int 4.

On a side note, wouldn't he be great with a axe if he was in a squad of Sang Guard..a nice little variety.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Chaplain

TL: DR
    Dante's weapon is described as an axe, therefore, it is an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoncbaker View Post
    And your comment about having a Master Crafted Power maul in the case of Lemartes. GW clarified that one in the FAQs, what exactaly it was. Also see Kharns FAQ in the Chaos section,where GW also has made clarification.both supporting the ideal that GW may view Dante's weapon is Special,and therefore AP3 @ Int 4.

On a side note, wouldn't he be great with a axe if he was in a squad of Sang Guard..a nice little variety.
    They had to clarify what Kharn's axe was because it has special rules. It could have been argued to be something else otherwise.

Lemartes does not say what it is anywhere. They had to say this is a power maul.

Dante's weapon clearly says AXE, therefore, it is an axe. master crafted does not have any bearing on it having special melee rules.

Also, the rules state to look at the model for what type of weapon they have, clearly, Dante has an axe.

Do whatever you want in a friendly game, but know this will be an axe in any tournament.
    Last edited by Nachodragon; 07-02-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: TL:DR

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast