BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Perfect. There's the solution.
    Except that when using the Skyfire rule, you're not making a Snap Shot. Template, Blast, and Large Blast weapons are still out even with Skyfire because they are specifically excluded by the Hard to Hit rule, but the Necron Death Ray is not.

RAI - Death Rays shouldn't hit.
    RAW - They can.

The quickest way to resolve this is the following:

Does it fit into the narrative that a Doom Scythe goes dogfighting and slices another plane in twain with it's Death Ray (e.i. does it look cool in your head while making sense in the greater aspects of the 40k universe).

If yes: do it

If no: don't do it

Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can only be resolved as snap shots. Pg. 81 BRB

Some weapons such as templates and blasts can not be fired as snap shots, it is important to note that any shooting attack that does not use BS (EX. necron monolith portal of exile) cannot be fired as snap shot. Pg. 13

The only thing listed here that can not be used are attacks with the template or blast markers. The necron example it uses is a blast weapon.

weird boy power:
    Frazzle range 24" S6 AP3 special Blast, pinning
    ZZap range 36" S10 AP2 special melta

In both entries they say automatically hit. Clearly Frazzle says blast, so its out. Zzap on the other hand does not. In every other case of this type of attack(zzap is a melta shot) it needed BS to hit however this auto hits.

Can Zzap be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
    Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can only be resolved as snap shots. Pg. 81 BRB

Some weapons such as templates and blasts can not be fired as snap shots, it is important to note that any shooting attack that does not use BS (EX. necron monolith portal of exile) cannot be fired as snap shot. Pg. 13

The only thing listed here that can not be used are attacks with the template or blast markers. The necron example it uses is a blast weapon.

weird boy power:
    Frazzle range 24" S6 AP3 special Blast, pinning
    ZZap range 36" S10 AP2 special melta

In both entries they say automatically hit. Clearly Frazzle says blast, so its out. Zzap on the other hand does not. In every other case of this type of attack(zzap is a melta shot) it needed BS to hit however this auto hits.

Can Zzap be used?
    The Death Ray isn't a blast template. It's a 1mm thick line. And if you're using the Skyfire rule, you're not making a Snap Shot, so the no-BS restriction doesn't apply.

If Zzap is a Psychic shooting attack that does not use a BS, it cannot shoot at a swooping or zooming flyer.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-uhi_qIgSU&feature=player_detailpage#t=97s[/url]

from the point it starts to the end(ish)

I dont see why slicing beams couldn't be targeted to other planes (if the idea of the rules is to make sure that you choose either to fire ground or air targets (with good chance to hit anyway..)

Librarian

I thought as long as your 2 points aren't targeting the flyer, and the line passes through it, you hit it automatically, as you're not targeting it. Same goes for Blood Lance.

That being said, I don't have the rulebook with me at the moment to check the exact wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    I thought as long as your 2 points aren't targeting the flyer, and the line passes through it, you hit it automatically, as you're not targeting it. Same goes for Blood Lance.

That being said, I don't have the rulebook with me at the moment to check the exact wording.
    The two points never target anything. No BS is used to figure the hit, because those two points are always hit. And you can't hit swooping or zooming flyer with anything that doesn't require a BS resolution.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by kjolnir View Post
    The two points never target anything. No BS is used to figure the hit, because those two points are always hit. And you can't hit swooping or zooming flyer with anything that doesn't require a BS resolution.
    It doesn't actually say that. Skyfire allows you to hit with full BS. No where does it say you need to roll your BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachodragon View Post
    It doesn't actually say that. Skyfire allows you to hit with full BS. No where does it say you need to roll your BS.
    Skyfire is one thing.

If you're NOT using Skyfire, the lack of a BS roll means you can't hit swooping/zooming flyers.

This looks a bit like a circle dance. You allways end up where you began.

Is the Deathray a template? - No
    Can it use Skyfire to shoot at Flyers? - Yes
    Can it be fired as a Snap Shot? - No
    Is it a Snap Shop when using Skyfire? - No
    Does Skyfire require that you roll to hit with your BS? No

Following the steps in the BRB this leads to the conclusion that yes, you can use the Deathray to shoot down flyers.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast