BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I CANT stop!

Default I CANT stop!

Watched an interesting documentary last night about computer gaming addiction.

Do you think there is such a thing as GW addiction? Could you stop at any time? Are we all hopeless junkies addicted to plastic crack?

I walked away about 7 years ago, sold everything, stopped playing and painting and had nothing to do with the hobby at all. But I would still find myself in the supermarket leafing through White Dwarf. 7 years on I'm back!

Can you ever escape? lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

I got my Devastator squad yesterday and i am counting down the days until i can get 4 Assault squad and my Razorback .. think i might be getting there and i've only been doing this for about 5 weeks

You got it bad girl! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

Awww hell .. i keep thinking about stripping them little sprues! haha

Yes I think it exists and yes I think I'm mildly addicted.

Addiction can be acchieved to everything you like because your body produces hormones if you are happy which are highly addictive. This is psychical addiction.

What neither computers nor warhammer can every acchieve is physical addiction (unless maybe if you sniff the glue and then call it "warhammer-addiction"). physically addiction is when your body gets substances from the drug which he normally produces itself but stops because it is easier to get from outside than work for itself. alcohol, nicotine and heroine are examples.

Only physically addiction is bad per se. psychical addiction is only bad if you are loosing yourself and the grabs of reality. this has happened with computer games and happens very often with gambling and most fat people are addicted to food in this way. most "beginner drugs" like weed get you addicted this way and because your body gets slowly resistant to the chemicals you need stronger and stronger drugs to acchieve the same effect, starting the circle of death.

I think finally most people are going to find and settle for "their" favorite addiction that makes them able to cope with reality and every day live. for a few its wargaming, for many its computer games and for many many more its watching tv (daily soap, sports of various types) oe sozialising (I've known a girl who was addicted to dating. she allways "fell deeply in love" with that "perfect guy"... at least three guys a month. she was addicted to the tension and emotions of dating and fresh realationships. that or she just was a w**** who knows?).

I dont think wargaming is a dangerous addiction because after all it needs other people to play with so you will never be so caught in the "other world" like with computer games that you forget about the rest of humanity (and let your baby starve to death ).

Librarian

This is what i've been dreading about GDUK-09. I've been struggling to not spend hundreds of pounds on my chaos army just in order to get that Space Wolf army i've always wanted... and tomorrow, I bring £150 there to blow all over the joint.

I just have that nagging feeling that i'll turn into a small dwarflike creature with bad hair and a pale complexion and start going 'no touchey da precious...'
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Veteran-Sergeant

Yep. Absolutely, identity displacement coupled with addressing status and creative needs not met in the real world. make this plastic crack.

Veteran-Sergeant

Is it just me, but every now n' again I like to line up my armies and just look at them - got in from the pub last night and did just that with my marines on the kitchen table only to go drunkenly to bed forgetting I had done so. This resulted in mockery from the peeps I live with when they found the bizaare arrangment greeting them at breakfast. Please tell me its not just me...?

Chapter-Master

Yep.

I go in the local store to buy some super-glue.

I end up with Super-glue and 2 tactical marine boxes.

Chaplain

Addicted YES!

Nah man it's not just you. All my armies are in glass cases in my living room and many of drunken nights I've found myself standing in front of them staring and sometimes moving them around some.
    My wife has told me if I ever cheated on her she is gonna smash my ThunderHawk. I don't think this is very funny, hence I'm happily married. When people come over to my house and start looking at the models (who can help it really) my kids are the first to stop them from getting to close. they say "Be very carefull, stay back. Those are special to Daddy." My children love them too and in a few more years there will be 3 more addicts to the plastic crack that is 40k.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast