BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

First-Captain

Default Multi Chapter Army. Thoughts please.

As far as my marine armies go. My first was a Blood Angel, then Space Wolves ( with loads of Eldar allies back in the day), then my own chapter ( which wasn't great) and most recently I am all about the Iron Hands as I love their no nonesense approach and the fact that when I read the fluff I love the cyborg vibe and their single minded 'we are right, everybody else must do what we say or die' way of thinking.

My question to you guys is how would you feel if I came along to play you with some Iron Hands squads, some Space Wolves models, some Red Scorpion models etc all mixed in? There are so many great new models coming out, and I can't realistically have 2000 points each of loads of chapters. So i am planning on building a multi chapter force around the wolves dex. I hope it will look striking and not a mess. What do you think?

Answers on a postcard.

I'm no expert but from a fluff point of view I thought they didn't play nicely together?

I would have no problem provided the force was properly balanced and wasn't used as an excuse to take the best bits from each army.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

For slow paced friendly games, I think it could work. However it would be a mess for tournament play.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

First-Captain

All the army choices would come from one codex, the models would just be painted different colours effectively. As far as the fluff goes, as a former Rogue Trader player, it isn't that important to me. I agree that fluff wise, a crazy set of situations would have had to happen to get them all together on one battle field.

No problems then. It would make for a fun game.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Provided that a single codex is used, the opponent knows which codex is used, and the models are WYSIWYG, I don't really see a problem. There have been many examples of such "crusade forces" in White Dwarf. If it were my army, I would avoid using any special codex units (Blood Angles, Space Wolves, etc, just so that my opponent won't forget that they aren't actually using that army's rules). I would tend toward using the Space Marine codex with squads painted as lesser known chapters, and then use an army-wide crusade badge and markings to unitfy the army.

Even then, i don't think that using the Blood Angels, etc. would really be a problem, as long as the opponent understands. For tournaments, this should be OK, but the Tournament Organizer should be consulted since they have the power to say that blue models are not permitted.

First-Captain

Roger.
    I pose this question, really as a result of looking at the new white dwarf and enjoying several of the space wolf models made from the sprues in the grey hunters box, but not enough for an army. There are just too many weird heads that are more yorkshire than viking.

Yeah, Johnny Vaughn is gonna leap out and shout "You Beauty!"

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    As far as my marine armies go. My first was a Blood Angel, then Space Wolves ( with loads of Eldar allies back in the day), then my own chapter ( which wasn't great) and most recently I am all about the Iron Hands as I love their no nonesense approach and the fact that when I read the fluff I love the cyborg vibe and their single minded 'we are right, everybody else must do what we say or die' way of thinking.

My question to you guys is how would you feel if I came along to play you with some Iron Hands squads, some Space Wolves models, some Red Scorpion models etc all mixed in? There are so many great new models coming out, and I can't realistically have 2000 points each of loads of chapters. So i am planning on building a multi chapter force around the wolves dex. I hope it will look striking and not a mess. What do you think?

Answers on a postcard.
    Well, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Iron Hands are all first founding, so if you wanted, you could even do a force from the Great Crusade with those three, although I'm not sure if all three ever actually fought together at once...
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ThePov View Post
    Well, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Iron Hands are all first founding, so if you wanted, you could even do a force from the Great Crusade with those three, although I'm not sure if all three ever actually fought together at once...
    I'd love to have a squad from every loyalist chapter in one army. I think it would look lovely on the table but won't win me the games. Would be fun to play each squad as their chapter traits dictate. Charge in with the Blood Angels, dig in with the imperial fists etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast