BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Higgs Boson particle probably found

[URL="http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html"]Press Release from CERN[/URL]:
    Geneva, 4 July 2012. At a seminar held at CERN1 today as a curtain raiser to the year’s major particle physics conference, ICHEP2012 in Melbourne, the ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought Higgs particle. Both experiments observe a new particle in the mass region around 125-126 GeV.

“We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV. The outstanding performance of the LHC and ATLAS and the huge efforts of many people have brought us to this exciting stage,” said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, “but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.”

"The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,” said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela. “The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks."
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs-Boson Particle
    I'm in ur matter, givin it mass
    Now two things need to happen:

1) My mother needs to stop calling it Biggs Ho-son.
    2) They need to find [URL="http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero"]element zero[/URL].
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

What's that Tetravon? Only 2.9 Sigma, ok sssshh, time for proper high energy physics
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

I'm in ur matter, givin it mass
    Yo momma so fat, she has mass whether or not the Higgs-Boson exists [/ohsnap]

I also agree on #2, though I'd settle for making contact with Thessia.

Awesome! It's pronounced bows-on isn't it?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Can someone explain to me in basic English why we should care? What will be the practical benefits of this?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Occuli Imperator

Because it explains why things have mass.
    The practical benefits could lead to things like tractor beams and gravity manipulation making it easier to move heavier objects but that is quite a stretch at the moment.
    We are yet to truly utilise quantum mechanics and that has been around for quite a while.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Can someone explain to me in basic English why we should care? What will be the practical benefits of this?
    Well, this sort of research really, REALLY irritates the right wing God botherers. That makes it all worth while in my book!

Science. Trolling religion since the renaissance!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Well, this sort of research really, REALLY irritates the right wing God botherers. That makes it all worth while in my book!

I'll give you that one, but apart from that what have the Romans done for us?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

I'm not really sure I would go that far, since they both ask different questions they both get different answers. Science does not disprove god any more than it proves it.
    The issues you have are with people who are creationists, whom are a relatively modern phenomenon.

Chapter-Master

Why does being an ******* seem to be a prerequisite for being an atheist? The bible's not a scientific document, and this isn't some sort of contest, so why the conflict?

And did someone seriously just ask "why should I care if someone just made an important discover in physics"? The reason we're even on the internet right now is because, a few hundred years ago, some random dude accidentally electrocuted himself and wondered why.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast