BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

i havent made my mind up entirely about this but not one of you has made mention of drop pod assault.. if i missed it scuse my blindness ( wolfshade pointed out drop pod assault on page one )

even if you had all of your drop pods in reserve drop pods assault half of them must be dropped on turn 1 this is codex not rulebook...sm codex page 69 is one example

based on this yes you could put all of your army in drop pods but half of it is coming out turn 1 no matter what

guess im not following the logic on how they can auto lose turn 1

and as long as i have played this game dex trumps rule book all day every day.. if the faq says something else then thats another issue read the faq on sm no mention of drop pod assault not still being valid
    Last edited by rle68; 07-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Chaplain

Nobody's doubting the validity of Drop Pod Assault... as it stands, though, a Drop Pod army is the only army that can have all its units in reserve at the beginning of the game. This is because of the fact that half the army will drop in on turn 1.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    Nobody's doubting the validity of Drop Pod Assault... as it stands, though, a Drop Pod army is the only army that can have all its units in reserve at the beginning of the game. This is because of the fact that half the army will drop in on turn 1.
    it took 4 now 5 pages to figure that out? then the talk of auto losing.. seems kinda silly to me

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    and as long as i have played this game dex trumps rule book all day every day.. if the faq says something else then thats another issue read the faq on sm no mention of drop pod assault not still being valid
    The talk about 1st turn loosing was about the Nids trying to use a Null Deployment list. If you try it with Nids you auto-lose turn 1. Not SM. The whole reason Nids auto-lose is because we don't have drop pod assault.

Comparing different drop pod rules: Mycetic spores and real drop pods.

Default Pg. 36

Check page 36, second paragraph.

Chance, I think we've covered this one pretty well. Space Marine with Drop Pods can go for a complete null-deployment. They are amongst the few armies that can...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    as it stands, though, a Drop Pod army is the only army that can have all its units in reserve at the beginning of the game.
    Don't forget Chaos Daemons.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    The short answer is that this works for Drop Pods and not for other transports because DPs are dedicated transports. You will have to count up non dedicated transports and other units on a unit by unit basis. You don't have to do that with non dedicated transports.

It is clear that I don't have to separate my troops from their pods because of the dedicated transport rule. There is nothing that forces me to separate my troops from their pods. Those units don't count toward the total because of the rule about units that start in reserve.
    As previously stated, Drop Pods don't state that the squad must start in them (bizarrely), so there's nothing stopping you from deploying the squads and having the Drop Pods come in empty. Only the Drop Pods follow the rule for having to start in Reserve, not the squad inside, so I'm pretty sure you have to deploy half of said squads.

I would still let anyone have all of their squads in their pods, because it makes sense and I'm not a douche, but I'm pretty sure that by RAW you can't.

Veteran-Sergeant

a little off topic, but has anyone run an all drop pod list in 6th? and if so, is it a viable competitive option?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    a little off topic, but has anyone run an all drop pod list in 6th? and if so, is it a viable competitive option?
    All-drop-pod armies are stronger in 6th than they were in 5th. It's not the strongest option out there, but it's very viable imo. The nice thing in 6th is that you can drop down, shoot things, get assaulted on your opponent's turn, and shoot things again via overwatch. And if you're Space Wolves, you can counter-attack, too. Drop Pod lists are also a good counter to some of the popular shooty armies in 6th, like Eldar/Tau or Eldar/Dark Eldar or IG/Tau.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast