BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Reserves Clarifaction for Valkryies and Vendettas.

I run a all Valkyrie/Vendetta list for my IG. Now that they state that flyers are all start in reserves. Now only half you're units can start in reserves ignoring those that have to start in reserve. All my IG infantry (4 Vet squads, CCS, and PBS) all ride in the Flyers. This is were I'm worried. I can start all my Infantry in the flyers which are required to start in reserves but because the rules not being clear for this situation I'm worried someone will be a tool and try and argue that I have to start half my Infantry on the board thus negating the whole point I've ran this list for two years.

Did I miss something in the rules allowing this? What is the arguments pro-con for this? Anything will help as I'm trying to get ahead of the curve on this before it becomes a pain.

Also Ongoing Reserves is very ambiguous on how a flyer re-enters from reserves. Can I still DeepStrike/Outflank with a Valkyria/Vendetta with on going reserves?

Imo it is clearly stated in the rules that units that always have to start from the reserves (and any passengers they may carry) don't count as that max half of your forces in reserves..

Also, isn't 'ongoing' reserves a "second reserve pool" where your forces are allowed to automatically come back to the game, once they have first time showed up to the table? (not sure, just a hunch)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Imo it is clearly stated in the rules that units that always have to start from the reserves (and any passengers they may carry) don't count as that max half of your forces in reserves
    This is incorrect. Units with Dedicated Transports count as one unit, any units embarked onto a Vendetta/Valk, Falcon, HS Land Raider, etc. have no special exemption and are still counted against your maximum reserves units.

In the OP's case, he has 6 units for the purposes of determining reserves, meaning he can place 3 of his infantry squads in reserves to start (embarked on a Vendetta or not).

Lots of people's reserve lists got screwed.

Hate to say it but for now it seems you'll only get to start half of your squads/units in reserve.

However the drop troops list in Imperial armor 8 includes the option to take valkyries as dedicated transport for most of your regular squads. You lose almost all of your heavy tanks , and heavy weapons but the other options tend to make up for it. Plus you can then have your entire army start off the board if you are so inclined.

Chapter-Master

switch the vets to a platoon. Bam. Problem solved, only one squad has to star on the board.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by George Labour View Post
    Hate to say it but for now it seems you'll only get to start half of your squads/units in reserve.

However the drop troops list in Imperial armor 8 includes the option to take valkyries as dedicated transport for most of your regular squads. You lose almost all of your heavy tanks , and heavy weapons but the other options tend to make up for it. Plus you can then have your entire army start off the board if you are so inclined.
    I'm a tournament junky so IA8 is a no-go for me :/
    Plus the Vet squads are 10 pts more expensive and I run Creed for the large bubble for orders.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah it doesn't work anymore =( The rules IMO are very clear on the rules. Your flyers start in reserve. They aren't dedicated transports, so half the rest of your army can be in reserve, transported by them or not.

I'm trying to decide what to do about my air cav as well ^^

(although really I don't even want to start in reserve, the problem being is that they have to start in reserve >.<)

Veteran-Sergeant

I right there with you guys. I built my Air Cav, ran it in a store tournament the same month the Valkyrie kit came out and haven't looked back since. But having to start all of my vehicles off the table screws my entire army over. I love the army, it's always given me great games, but it looks like it's time for ebay.

Thanks GW for ruining my favorite army.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Chaplain

At first glance I didn't think nothing of this thread. But after removing my head from my third point of contact I find myself deeply troubled by this. I run three Storm Ravens loaded with three dreads, tac and assault squads, along with a couple of Jump Assault squads. My Storm Ravens are not dedicated transports and I can only reserve 50% of my army. This really sucks.
    I hope there is some way around this. If anybody finds it please post.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Flammenwerfer13 View Post
    I run a all Valkyrie/Vendetta list for my IG. Now that they state that flyers are all start in reserves. Now only half you're units can start in reserves ignoring those that have to start in reserve. All my IG infantry (4 Vet squads, CCS, and PBS) all ride in the Flyers. This is were I'm worried. I can start all my Infantry in the flyers which are required to start in reserves but because the rules not being clear for this situation I'm worried someone will be a tool and try and argue that I have to start half my Infantry on the board thus negating the whole point I've ran this list for two years.

Did I miss something in the rules allowing this? What is the arguments pro-con for this? Anything will help as I'm trying to get ahead of the curve on this before it becomes a pain.

Also Ongoing Reserves is very ambiguous on how a flyer re-enters from reserves. Can I still DeepStrike/Outflank with a Valkyria/Vendetta with on going reserves?
    Looking at my book just now, yep, your screwed. All the valks/vendies MUST start in reserves and only 1/2 of the guys that ride in them can start in reserves. BA DOA lists are totally boned as well.

Ongoing Reserves states the when a unit re-enters it follows the normal rules for reserves. So it would seem no deepstrike or outflank. With the huge amount of movement a flyer has I really dont see that as an issue unless you didn't drop your troops off before you left the table.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast