BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Some crap about the emperor telling the ultramarines to protect of work with the Tau or some BS
    That rumor was found to be false, fortunately. The stuff about sharing goals/being super trusting is just flavor text, same sort of way Tyranids aren't "actually" declaring challenges. Just means the Tau know the Ultramarines won't backstab them and vice versa.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    That rumor was found to be false, fortunately. The stuff about sharing goals/being super trusting is just flavor text, same sort of way Tyranids aren't "actually" declaring challenges. Just means the Tau know the Ultramarines won't backstab them and vice versa.
    Oh thank the lord emperor himself for not speaking such ridiculousnous!

Cheers bud. I'm waiting till I've played my last 5th ed competition before getting the new book
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I figure the BT are fine with the xenos as can be trusted to be filthy scum sucking xenos. The SoB are, from a second founding perspective, a bunch of crazy, over the top protestants. They come from divergent theological backgrounds. Shoot, the BT are on a penitent crusade to redeem themselves in the eyes of a guy who had a problem with religion and they're supposed to trust the gun nuns? They betrayed the head of their church, in the Emperor's own palace! Let's also not forget, just because something is written in a codex does not mean it's common knowledge in the universe so that little bit about having the Emperor's blessing is opinion at best. No one should trust the SoB, ever, not even other SoBs.

As for Tau, I can easily imagine the water caste doing really really great when the need for a temporary alliance is being brought up. Also, I've read «Courage and honor» and «The savage scars» and in those books many space marine characters talk about how Tau are a respectable enemy and how they fight honorably. So, against a common foe, I would see Tau and Space Marine going hand in hand for a short time. As for Space marine unit being lead by a Tau commander and vice-versa, it's harder to believe but it's not impossible.

Except Black Templar hate xenos too, not just Witches. And Eldar are all xenos Witches. Every single one. I get that they don't like the SoB, that isn't the issue. The issue is that they would be more comofrtable working with a race of alien witches than with a bunch of humans who are serving approximately the same goals they are. I mean if you go justifying this based on the fact they don't like each other, Space Wolves an Dark Angels would be there too. yet they are allies of convenience.

It is inconsistent and a little silly to say the least. I'd also say that the SoB should never trust Marines, afteall only a handful of SoB have fallen to Chaos. Half of all Space Marines fell to chaos roughly simultaneously. Marines might like to thump their chests and go on about loyalty to the Emperor but they are far more questionable than the SoB.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    I figure the BT are fine with the xenos as can be trusted to be filthy scum sucking xenos. The SoB are, from a second founding perspective, a bunch of crazy, over the top protestants. They come from divergent theological backgrounds. Shoot, the BT are on a penitent crusade to redeem themselves in the eyes of a guy who had a problem with religion and they're supposed to trust the gun nuns? They betrayed the head of their church, in the Emperor's own palace! Let's also not forget, just because something is written in a codex does not mean it's common knowledge in the universe so that little bit about having the Emperor's blessing is opinion at best. No one should trust the SoB, ever, not even other SoBs.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Anyone remember the video game (and the book based on it) called 'Firewarrior'?

It's been a long time since I played it or read the book but I'm fairly certain the main (Tau) character was being helped/guided by an Ultramarine. He may even have been a captain.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yawarakaimatsuka View Post
    As for Tau, I can easily imagine the water caste doing really really great when the need for a temporary alliance is being brought up. Also, I've read «Courage and honor» and «The savage scars» and in those books many space marine characters talk about how Tau are a respectable enemy and how they fight honorably. So, against a common foe, I would see Tau and Space Marine going hand in hand for a short time. As for Space marine unit being lead by a Tau commander and vice-versa, it's harder to believe but it's not impossible.
    The Tau have an interesting relationship with the IoM. At the end of the Damocles gulf crusade, the SM and IG commanders vetoed the use of exterminatus as the Tau had fought so well and honourably. In the Nid dex there is an account of Tau and IG fleets teaming up to stop a Nid fleet before turning on each other as soon as the Nids were dealt with. And there is the issue of a number of human worlds happily embracing the Greater Good, whilst Tau technology makes it as far as the likes of Necromunda. Whatever the official line is, since the Tau are one of the few races who aren't overly hostile, individual humans will often see them a useful partners in various enterprises. Bear in mind that the Imperial xenophobia is only a dogma introduced by the racist Emperor, the Great Crusade found many worlds where humans were peacefully co-existing with aliens.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Except Black Templar hate xenos too, not just Witches. And Eldar are all xenos Witches. Every single one. I get that they don't like the SoB, that isn't the issue. The issue is that they would be more comofrtable working with a race of alien witches than with a bunch of humans who are serving approximately the same goals they are. I mean if you go justifying this based on the fact they don't like each other, Space Wolves an Dark Angels would be there too. yet they are allies of convenience.
    Ironically, the Blood Angels are now the most xenophobic SM chapter based on the allies chart. I find this odd; a few months ago I would have called them one of the most "liberal" and dogmatically flexible chapters. And if you had asked me which chapter is the most likely to lose the battle/campaign and all die because they continue to fight the Eldar even after the daemons show up, I would have said "Black Templars," followed closely by "Dark Angels."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12