BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Targeting never comes into it.
    Vibrocannons never target anything (the wording is important). They roll to hit (with no target) then draw a straight 36" line and all units under are hit. You could therefore only hit friendly units if you so wished.

You could hit multiple flyers, or flyers and vehicles and friendly units. Whatever you like!
    Since you're not targeting anything you don't actually snap fire.

Librarian

Under the Flyers section it is worded in a way to make this a bit more confusing.
    'Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can only be resolved as Snap Shots'

I'm even more confused. I'm guessing this means that if a Blast template scattered onto a flyer it would still not hit. But while Vibro Cannons do not target anything...the hit is obviously still being 'resolved'

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    Under the Flyers section it is worded in a way to make this a bit more confusing.
    'Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can only be resolved as Snap Shots'

I'm even more confused. I'm guessing this means that if a Blast template scattered onto a flyer it would still not hit. But while Vibro Cannons do not target anything...the hit is obviously still being 'resolved'

What do you think?
    its the eldar version of joww..and i know your going to hate me but codex trumps rule book

vibro cannons do not need to pick a target...they shoot , if they hit ... they hit... they draw a line any unit under the line takes d6 hits.. the end of the description is the only one that matters... units with armor value take a single glancing hit

1 glancing hit thats all..

They can indeed hit them, the "snap shoot" is not a factor here you don’t roll to hit anything the shot is resolved before anything is determined to hit. It simply must meet its BS to make the line. Once established that it can make its line you are only working out wounds or in this case armor pen, add out glance.

Brother-Sergeant

We've just been having a big argument over V-cannons and how many glances they get. Some contend that they get a glance per 'hit' rolled, others that it is one glance irregardless of number of 'hits' rolled. Any input on this? I'm of the 'one glance' school, but the rule isn't written that clearly and I can see the other side of the argument.

It is unclear. My personal feeling is that is one hit. Simply because regardless of how many vibro cannon you have, it only does D6 hits to a unit. One or three, D6 hits, only the S increases. It doesn't help that the plural of cannon, in English, is cannon not cannons (though that is acceptable). I did ask about this in my email to GWs faq department.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It is unclear. My personal feeling is that is one hit. Simply because regardless of how many vibro cannon you have, it only does D6 hits to a unit. One or three, D6 hits, only the S increases. It doesn't help that the plural of cannon, in English, is cannon not cannons (though that is acceptable). I did ask about this in my email to GWs faq department.
    I appreciate the timely answer to my question. Duke won't be happy, but I'm citing you as a resident expert in my argument! Here's hoping GW puts the question to rest.
    http://dukesinferno.blogspot.com/

I'm not exactly thrilled myself, what girl doesn't love vibro cannon? Still it isn't like they are useless, three of them will still do D6 S6 hits to any and all unit within range which isn't too shoddy. I think shadowweavers may be a safer bet, 3 S6 blast templates at 48". If you can set up a decent killzone a d-cannon battery would be devestating.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Vibro Cannon Rule (Emphasis mine)
    "when firing a vibro cannon battery, roll to hit (the firer does not need to pick a target). If any of the vibro cannons hit, draw a single 36" straight line from one cannon in any direction. Any unit which the line passes through suffers D6 hits. For each vibro cannon in the battery after the first, add 1 to the strength of these hits. For example, a unit of three vibro cannons rolls a 1, a 6, and a 4, to hit, they would draw a single line from one of the cannon and any unit it touches takes D6 S6 hits.

A target with an Armor Value that is hit by a Vibro Cannon always suffers a single glancing hit; do not roll for armor penetration."

So, I have a battery of Vibro Cannons, I roll to hit with 3 dice (as per the example.) If I roll a 5,5,5 then I now have 3 vibro cannons that have hit. I then draw a line 36" straight and any vehicle it passes through suffers a glancing hit for each single vibro cannon that hit (It doesn't say you take a glancing hit for the battery hitting. It says you suffer a glancing hit from "A" vibro cannon that hits. They also use "Cannons," when referring to multiple cannons or a battery of cannons, so it is obvious that they are referencing a hit from a single cannon.

roll three dice, for three cannons, get three hits from three cannons, cause three glances from three cannons.

It doesn't make sense that having three cannons makes the battery better against infantry but it doesn't mean crap against vehicles. It is more logical to assume that it is equally better against infantry and armor with more cannons...

Duke
    Last edited by Duke; 07-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced:
    when firing a vibro cannon battery, roll to hit (the firer does not need to pick a target). If any of the vibro cannons hit, draw a single 36" straight line from one cannon in any direction. Any unit which the line passes through suffers D6 hits. For each vibro cannon in the battery after the first, add 1 to the strength of these hits. For example, a unit of three vibro cannons rolls a 1, a 6, and a 4, to hit, they would draw a single line from one of the cannon* and any unit it touches takes D6 S6 hits.

A target with an Armor Value that is hit by a Vibro Cannon always suffers a single glancing hit; do not roll for armor penetration
    It is still referring to the thing as a battery, not individual support weapons and the fact remains supporting batteries add to the strength of the hit not the number of hits. One assumes vehicles are better shielded from the vibrations than infantry so take less damage. I'd be thrilled to be wrong, and I'm certainly not saying it isn't highly ambiguous, I just don't feel confident one way or the other. My group have decided to roll on it 'til GW FAQ it. I did email them about it.

*Cannon and cannons both used in plural form, hence confusion.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast