BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Old rulebooks side by side - which was your favourite?

There is something good in all of them. Which one was your favourite? I still love having a look though the pics in 2nd and there are some interesting missions in 4th, but RT get thumbed more than a taxi.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Banned

I'm with you on Rogue Trader - there's just so much stuff in there! Maybe because it was so ill defined and vague it seems to have more possibilities.

Rogue Trader is by far the best of the bunch, with endless options and crazy missions it could not be beat! Even if was the begining of me spelling "armor" "armour" Brit. style.

Librarian

1st for flavour, 5th for rules. 6th seems like it's going to be a lot of fun, so that may change, but 5th had a really nice, tight set of rules (and I don't care what the naysayers say).

Chaplain

RT followed by 3rd edition.

2nd ed wasn't so much a rulebook as a loose collection of paperbacks although my preferred codices date from then.

I envy you for still having the Rogue Trader book.

Mine fell apart by the seams (glue didn't hold the pages) and for that reason I must have 'discarded' that book somehow. And now I regret that decision.

Regarding your question... You can't compare them. They were released in different times (you can't compare a book that is 25 years old to a book just released) At least that's what I think. They all had/have good and bad points.

Things that were 'normal' back then are now completely unthinkable... (remember in 'Warhammer Siege' where Squats attacked a Bretonian/Knight castel where a Renegade Navigator had taken shelter. Can you imagine that now ??)

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post

Mine fell apart by the seams (glue didn't hold the pages) and for that reason I must have 'discarded' that book somehow. And now I regret that decision.

Regarding your question... You can't compare them. They were released in different times (you can't compare a book that is 25 years old to a book just released) At least that's what I think. They all had/have good and bad points.

Things that were 'normal' back then are now completely unthinkable... (remember in 'Warhammer Siege' where Squats attacked a Bretonian/Knight castel where a Renegade Navigator had taken shelter. Can you imagine that now ??)
    Think I have a RT book somewhere someone gave me
    For the Greater good.

I want 5th and 6th to have a baby rule called '5th plus lots of the cool new stuff from 6th' Or '6th minus some of the random'. Was not playing before so dont have an educated opinion on the other ones. If pushed I'd have to say 5th over 6th.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post

Oh, so did mine.

They did a local reprint in softcover, too. This one still survives because it has not even had its spine cracked yet (the original hardcover got holepunched and ringbound.).

Yeah, my copy of Rogue Trader got given away

I still have fond memories of the two page spread of the planet with periodic warp storms and humans and orks living side by side

Was it called Helsreach? Or am I confusing myself