BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsugaku View Post
    Of you're definitely right about the share of the market - but those numbers don't tell the whole story, in fact they're positively misleading. As I go into in the main article there are a lot more reasons why IOS users are more likely to make the purchase than Android users, the marketplace, the accounts, the one click purchasing (linked to the credit cards), frankly IOS users are more likely to have a larger disposable income.
    (Almost) All android users have a Google Play account. Furthermore, content can be purchased from the web store on the PC and is immediately available on all android devices. "One click" perhaps its not, but its very very fast - and yes, the Play Store is linked to my credit card. I buy movies, books, music, magazines and apps all through the Play store with my credit card, or Google Wallet, or Carrier Billing. Its actually a lot harder to buy something from Amazon on my mobile devices than it is from the Play Store.

As for "who would want to read a codex on their phone" question is quite simply the myopic, anti-options, closed-ecosystem mentality of a iOS drone. Just because YOU can't see a reason for it, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that would like that option.

Plus, I agree that I wouldn't want to read a codex on the postage stamp sized screen of the iPhone (even the new one that supposedly has a still inferior-sized screen).

On my Gnex however - I read kindle books all the time when I don't have my tablet handy (which conveniently synchs with my other devices automatically so I don't have to "catch up" on my tablet later).

As for the issues that the OP had on his website regarding the "issues" with developing for Android. Many of them have been debunked on other sites that aren't as skewed towards the Apple koolaid. Some of them are past complaints that have been antiquated due to developments in the ecosystem.

Ok so its possible to NOT have a google play account or even a google account to use an android device and still retain a lot of functionality.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    As for the issues that the OP had on his website regarding the "issues" with developing for Android. Many of them have been debunked on other sites that aren't as skewed towards the Apple koolaid. Some of them are past complaints that have been antiquated due to developments in the ecosystem.
    Wow - that sure is a lot of anger - but hey that's cool, angry users are still users and they often have important things to say - so if you could tell me some of the places I went wrong so I could correct them, using independent sources and citations that would be really awesome.

I'm looking to update the article where required and use it to feed into my actual recommended solution, which, in case you didn't see it through that red haze of yours, was an open HTML based subscription model.

cheers!

Doesn't Apple iBooks Publisher require an exclusivity agreement?

By agreeing to publish for iOS (with the nice animation and navigation features) they've agreed to that material's exclusivity to iOS only.

I'm a little disappointed and would rather see it published on Amazon which is available to all platforms.

It's a little worse than that... even if you own a Mac you don't have an iBook viewer... you need an iOS device to view it.

Chapter-Master

As for "who would want to read a codex on their phone" question is quite simply the myopic, anti-options, closed-ecosystem mentality of a iOS drone. Just because YOU can't see a reason for it, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that would like that option.
    Wow. You are angry!

And maybe I should have phrased it differently: I wouldn't want to use the Digital Codex "as is" on my iPhone, or any phone for that matter. FOR ME, it's far too graphical. I'd want something simpler to view on my phone. And yes, I read plenty of books on my phone thru my Kindle account.

As to the phone screen size: all those giant sized screen phones are far too large for my tastes. I'm very happy with the size of my iPhone screen, and quite frankly, don't know that I'd want it to be any bigger. But then again, I wouldn't buy a full-blown Otter Box for the same reason; they become more cumbersome when in your pocket.

Oh, and by the way. My Kindle Account synch both on my Kindle and my iOS devices, too. So do my iBooks. So there's that.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by karlthepagan View Post
    Doesn't Apple iBooks Publisher require an exclusivity agreement?
    Basically - yes.

[url]http://betanews.com/2012/01/22/apples-ibooks-author-eula-is-more-and-less-evil-than-you-think/[/url]

Battle-Brother

Basically - yes.

[url]http://betanews.com/2012/01/22/apples-ibooks-author-eula-is-more-and-less-evil-than-you-think/[/url]
    However technically a slight change to the book would be fine I'm sure.

As for the argument, which may soon be a null point with the MS Surface coming out, is kinda silly. Android and ANY other coding platform is easier than the iOS coding platform (objective C), thus making it work on Android or Windows phones would be simple.

Since I mentioned the Surface, here is why iPads will be a null point. The Surface acts as a Windows computer, thus putting a .PDF (I would love it if GW would sell them so I could actually give them money for it) on it would be simple.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because I feel the actual codex is superior to the iOS one. Yeah I'm a paper fanboi.

The reason why it is only on iPad is because the iAuthor software that allows the formatting of the content produces a unique file that isn't convertable to HTML5 or <insert your format here>. The only thing one can do is save the document as a PDF that will have a watermark on it. Doing so loses all of the DRM they gain from the closed iAuthor system and strips all of the interactivity allowed by the iBook format.

The reason why the codex is only in landscape format is because iAuthor doesn't do a very good job of reflowing text around other elements (images, videos, etc.) so the software has an option to lock the orientation if you have a more complicated document (inline interactive content).

The reason why it is not on Android has nothing to do with market share - rather it is all about the DRM that iAuthor provides (unique, non-transferrable format) and the development environment it provides (the iAuthor software itself). The only limitation Apple places is that the actual iAuthor file cannot be sold outside of iTunes. If as a developer I want to release my content on multiple systems I can do that, but I can't sell an iAuthor file format elsewhere - I have to use different authoring tools and produce a different content format to sell the content in a different store. This separate development process will come at a higher cost (different toolchain for putting the content together) and at a lack of content security (Android currently does not offer any digital text format that is as secure as iBooks).

I say all of this as someone who has been writing books using iAuthor (textbooks for education).

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
    However technically a slight change to the book would be fine I'm sure.

As for the argument, which may soon be a null point with the MS Surface coming out, is kinda silly. Android and ANY other coding platform is easier than the iOS coding platform (objective C), thus making it work on Android or Windows phones would be simple.

Since I mentioned the Surface, here is why iPads will be a null point. The Surface acts as a Windows computer, thus putting a .PDF (I would love it if GW would sell them so I could actually give them money for it) on it would be simple.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because I feel the actual codex is superior to the iOS one. Yeah I'm a paper fanboi.
    The proper codex is just not superior in any way, obviously you've not used it, but the iOS one is a lot better, just for the instant links to special rules alone.

And to make this book they've not had to code an app, they've used iBooks Publisher which is amazingly easy and convenient, and publishes to the vast majority of the app buying tablet market, because, although the market share isn't as big as it was initially, the iPad users spend a lot more money, mostly because its a lot easier to. Also, as much as some people like android, and some people like it just because they don't want to like Apple, like our angry friend Defenestratus, there has yet to be a truly great android tablet that has captured the public imagination like the iPad, everything else, in the public perception at least, its trying to be an iPad.

^^ really? well you should read up on what apple wants to do with the output from their publisher tool.

Now before you go off kilter with your apple love again (because let's face it, your fanboyism is showing), I've sold iPads. I've also used the other tablets out there. Right now, the difference between all the tablets is minimal at best, and the other tablets are catching up FAST.

and the only reason it's "captured the public's imagination" is because apple MADE A GREAT SALES PITCH.
    Last edited by Uncle Nutsy; 07-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

It could have been a market choice. I bet there was sampling done about the percentage of gamers who have a pc tablet or an iPad. It also could have been a preference choice, gamesworkshop could have been persuaded by the beauty of apples operating system and it's flawless functionality.

But the choice of gamesworkshop to release it exclusively for the iPad almost settles the issue on its own. Apple is a better company to sign with than windows. As a single company they have taken the electronic world by storm and left computer companies like dell(Alienware), hp, and all the rest at the starting line. It's all about presentation and ease of utility. Apples innovation in both aesthetic and internal parts of the digital world are unparalleled. Apple iPad and it's OS are more beautiful and functional.

For all you apple haters out there, scoreboard...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast