BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Shas'o

Something I've wanted is a program full of blank templates with different kinds of tables that you put stats in. You insert the info for your codex then the program would translate it into app form. You could customize your own codex! It would allow you to add forge world rules in with the rest of your codex, along with your allies, fortifications, army list, and fliers. You could have all the info you would ever need right in one spot. You could change the order of the pages, font, size, etc.

If you put some of the work into the hands of the user then you wouldn't have to wait around for GW to do it, and it could be used for other gaming systems.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

The Android OS is too fragmented. When you create and App or even a book layout, you have to do it for a whole host of different OS's and hardware. With the iPad you have a much smaller hardware spec and a single OS. The tools for creating books for iOS are much easier to use. The Space Marine codex was probably done with electronic copies of text being cut and paste and their pictures and animations just being dropped in to the wizard.

I know this because I work in IT and work with Microsoft, Google, and Apple devices daily. I have no overall preference between makes as they are just tools that do a particular job. Some tools do some jobs better than others. When I publish manuals I prefer to use iOS as I can create a book/manual much quicker using their iAuthor software

Android Codex's will come but it will require a bigger investment from GW.

The big question you should be asking is why GW charge the same for their digital content as they do for their physical. Given the original electronic sources of text, pictures and animations anyone on this site could have created the Space Marine Codex in a week. If you don't believe me then get hold of a MAc and download iBooks Author (it's free) and try it yourself. My company has publish dozens of professional looking manuals on the iBook store and they were all done by our IT staff with no formal training.
    Last edited by Blusox69; 07-12-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Exclamation

Thanks for your great range of replies everybody - nice to know people can at least sometimes, have a discussion without it turning into a fan war eh?

If you have any comments you think are especially worthy I'd really encourage you to [url=http://www.tetsugaku.info/why-havent-games-workshop-published-their-digital-codexes-on-android-as-well-as-iosipad/]put them on the original article[/url] as well.

Anyway - as you gathered from the original post, my suggestion is a subscription to an HTML based solution that covers all of the things we get out of codexes, as well as all the benefits of things like army builder and White Dwarf, without any of the drawbacks.

I'll be publishing more proposals on my own blog [url=www.tetsugaku.info]tetsugaku.info[/url] and on my professional portfolio [url=www.thetaalldesigner.com]The Tall Designer[/url] as I come up with them. Ultimately I'm going to have a detailed case study of how to build an open, accessible, usable system, based on web standards that serves the needs of gamers whilst making GW the profit that they deserve for creating the games and rules.

Who knows, it might even happen.

Cheers!

Erm.

Because owners of Apple hardware are more likely to buy a slightly upgraded version of something they already own?

Chapter-Master

The Android OS is too fragmented.
    There's a lot of great things to have come from that actually - its not all a bad thing.

However, in the case of digital content - fragmentation has nothing to do with it. There are standards out there, like Tetsugaku has mentioned, that would work on any platform, any device. Furthermore, something like an e-codex, is easy to sell through existing app services like Google Play Books/Magazines.

BTW, where can I find a link to the Digital SM codex on the appstore?

I searched for "Games Workshop", "Codex", "Space Marine" and none of them returned the results I'm looking for.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    There's a lot of great things to have come from that actually - its not all a bad thing.

However, in the case of digital content - fragmentation has nothing to do with it. There are standards out there, like Tetsugaku has mentioned, that would work on any platform, any device. Furthermore, something like an e-codex, is easy to sell through existing app services like Google Play Books/Magazines.

BTW, where can I find a link to the Digital SM codex on the appstore?

I searched for "Games Workshop", "Codex", "Space Marine" and none of them returned the results I'm looking for.
    They're in the iBooks store, not the AppStore.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    They're in the iBooks store, not the AppStore.
    Ugh ... so you can't browse their iBooks collection on the web?

Why is it that I can't search for it from the Apple iTunes store? Apple Patented the universal search - put it to practice!

For example:
    [url]https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Game+of+thrones[/url]

Exclamation

Why is it that I can't search for it from the Apple iTunes store? Apple Patented the universal search - put it to practice!
    [url=http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/games-workshop/id536481148?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo%3D4%2522%2520target%253D%2522itunes_store%2 522%253EGames%2520Workshop]Luckily that's not true[/url]

For example:
    [url]https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Game+of+thrones[/url]
    cmon Defenestratus, apple's way of doing things makes about as much sense as GW's way of doing things. you should know that by now.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    cmon Defenestratus, apple's way of doing things makes about as much sense as GW's way of doing things. you should know that by now.
    Something that's actually a way better comparison between GW and Apple is the amount of FUD you see about them on the nets.

This isn't true - I linked to categorical proof , wonder if anyone ever reads discussions or just cherry picks the bits they like

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast