BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Mephiston powers.

Can Mephiston take 3 Psychic powers or 2 from the rule book? The rule book says 'A psyker's codex will usually state how many psychic powers the psyker has.' In this case three Sanguine Sword, Unleash the rage and Wings of Sanguinius. It goes on to say 'Where this is not the case the psyker has a number of psychic powers equal to his Mastery level.' In this case the GW FAQ states he is mastery level three. So at a glance, case closed he can take three... er no. The FAQ also says 'A blood angel librarian (including Mephiston) may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 rule book, instead of those in Codex: Blood angels. If he does so generate TWO new powers from blah blah...' So whats the crack in your opinions 2 or 3?

Many Thanks

Mephiston only gets to take two, just as the FAQ stated. Yes it does suck to lose three powers to gain two. If that's not enough for you, if you know someone who bought the Psychic Cards pack, there's a little "How To Use" pamphlet that comes with the card pack that specifically states that Mephiston only gets two. Yes it still sucks.

Yeah, it's a bit of an annoying oddity wrt how every other named psyker is treated, but I think they did it mainly for balance as opposed to fluff reasons.

Meph's powers were always limited in that they only benefited him alone and prescribed, whereas every other psyker could use their powers to help the squad they are attached to or another squad.

I think that was done because Meph has such a powerful statline that to make him as psychically powerful/useful as one of the other named chief librarians would be a little too much. It's for similar considerations that he was not made as an IC so he always has to solo it.

It doesn't seem 'fair', but it would be kinda broken if Meph could take 3 new powers because when you consider it, apart from Wings, Meph didn't really need any of the other powers. They would have been nice if they went off, but more often than not, it might have been more useful to save the other two casts for force weapon activation and kill two multi-wound models with one stroke each.

Now, with the way force weapons work in 6th, saving that 3rd cast to activate force weapons would be even more useful as all attacks would count as force weapon ones after a successful cast iirc. Although lack of IC status and random charge would make it far harder to get him into CC without wings. But Fleet should help a little there.

Librarian

I would argue that the FAQ conflicts. It says generate two, but then later it says his mastery level 3, and you generate powers equal to master level according to the rulebook.

I would argue that the FAQ conflicts. It says generate two, but then later it says his mastery level 3, and you generate powers equal to master level according to the rulebook.
    I have to agree with this. The part referring to "who" can take powers includes mephistion to clarify that he is a librarian (for determining who can take the new powers, specifically eaving out the dreadnought) , but some fool failed to specify his different mastery level in this section of the faq. further on in the FAQ it states he is level 3, which if you then go to the rulebook allows him to take 3 powers. Unfortunately both could be argued round and round all day whilst both being correct. just a bit of oversight by GW

First-Captain

Easy, he is mastery level 3 for generating warp points. But is only able to take 2 powers as per FAQ
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah this makes sense because some powers cost 2 warp points. It also lets him use both his powers if they just cost 1 warp point and use the last to activate his force weapon, all in the same turn.

I think I'll go with the two powers it is supposed to fun after all. I'll be interested to see if GW update there FAQ in the future and what will be accpted in tournaments (2 or 3 powers)! Both ways of looking at it seem pretty fair to me though. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed for two good powers. He is still a total monster with his normal powers. And now power swords don't negate his 2+ armour save that lack of invunerable save does not seem like quite such a problem.
    Last edited by Bob821; 07-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Just a thought here but according to the description on gw's website faq's are "soft" rules ergo they are answers to some questions but are not errata nor do they trump the BGB or codex ergo fu guys mephy is taken three powers

I missed where Mephiston has to lose his third power. As the rules state he can trade in 2 powers for 2 rolls. Unlike other FAQs (Like Nids) it does not state trade in ALL his powers. The FAQ does not conflict the BRB, it just states what tables BA are allowed access too.

So 2 BRB powers and 1 from Codex BA.