BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default anyone using Vallejo paints?

I've been using GW paints exclusively for many years now. But they don't really make a real space wolves color (by this I mean a mid-tone between shadow & space wolves gray). Turns out Vallejo does. They have a color called blue gray which looks about perfect. I'm wondering if anyone else uses these paints and what you think about them?

Veteran-Sergeant

I've been using them for quite a while now, and pretty much use them interchangeably with the GW paint.
    They mix and flow well, and apply perfectly fine.
    Slight advantage went to them for a long time in some of the weaker GW paints (yellows reds etc) but with foundation paints it's now less pronounced.
    I am not as happy with their washes...
    I am happy with their 'foundation' equivalents, though I don't find them as consistently well color matched.
    "Sometimes I take humor seriously. Sometimes I take seriousness humorously. Either way it is irrelevant"

Brother-Sergeant

Sweet. Well, I'm gonna get the blue gray, and give it a shot.

Brother-Captain

The eye dropper bottles help keep them from drying out over the pots. Plus you get more for your money.

JohnM>

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    The eye dropper bottles help keep them from drying out over the pots. Plus you get more for your money.

JohnM>
    This is very much true!

VGC/VMC is 17ml compared to GWs 12ml per pot. Add the detail of more dry-out safety of Vallejo and I personally found myself a winner

Anyone using the P3 paints from Privateer Press? How are they?

The Dark Mechanic

Vallejo makes some great stuff. I'm not a fan of his artwork which to me has always been a bad imitation of Frank Frazetta's amazing stuff, but Vallejo's model paint range is terrific. I supplement my GW Citadel Paints with several Vallejo colors. They make a Foundation White, a grey that is darker than Codex Grey, a matte varnish while GW only makes a brush on gloss varnish, several shades of pink while GW makes none, and on and on. Vallejo Paints are highly useful to the GW hobbyist.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Sergeant

Excellent! That is what I'm looking for. A range of shades, so I don't have to mix paints unless absolutely necessary (center piece / command models and such).

Veteran-Sergeant

Vallejo in mine and many golden daemon eyes is better in almost every aspect to GW you get more , has a smoother flow ( model color is smoother than game color ) , has great bottles that dont dry out half way through ( you can prevent that just takes proper maintenance of your paint pots ) and has a better color rang . Don't get me wrong GW makes good colors and there paints are pretty good its just vallejo model color is a little better . The GW washes are awesome and I have seen a lot of poor painters turn out some pretty decent stuff using them , I taught my son how to paint using washes til I feel he is ready to move into proper blending and his stuff looks great .

P3 is another great paint it has a very high pigment count and covers like the GW foundation paints just far smoother and not as gunky . Also foundry makes some good paints as well and have a great color range this is the paint favored by a lot of the military model painters so there are several shades of most colors .

Each company has perks that are not paints per say , GW has ar'd coat which is a handy brush on gloss varnish for things like gems , glass , and so on , There new brushes are pretty darn good for the cost as well , vallejo has an awesome paint on texture for got the name of the top of my head its something lava which is a thick black paint with rocky bits in it makes doing bases a flash .

All the company's have something to bring to the table I truly feel a mix of all of them is the way to go pick out the gems from each and make a really great paint station . hope this helps .

Brother-Captain

From what I've seen, Reaper and Vallejo are the most popular paints for Golden Daemon painters. Both with good flow and a great selection of colors.

Reaper is a little bit more expensive (smaller bottle for the same price) but I love the triads, especially the fleshtone triads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast