BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Is there any truth to this rumor ?

Was milling around on bolter and chainsword this morning and came across a post that stated "there will not be another Dark Angel Codex for another six years (2015).Has anyone else herd this nonsense ?

Brother-Sergeant

Before everyone goes crazy on me, I agree there are other codexes that need updating-Nids,Wolves,Dark Eldar,and Necron, just to name a few.But what really pissed me off is that the post went on to say that the Dark Angel Codex was a test codex for all 5th Ed. codexes.So,they basically knew that all following codexes would be better than Dark Angel and there would be a whole new addition in a year or two.From what I read sixth Ed. will be out in 9 years.So I'm supposed to wait 6 years for a competitive codex,buy it and all the crap that comes with it and in two or three years go back to getting pounded by all the new sixth Ed. codexs that my Dex help to develop.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO; 09-28-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

What makes this “un-true” is that GW doesn’t even know what they are going to be doing in 6 years. They make long term plans, but a lot can change in even a short span of time. Anyone who tells you what is or what isn’t coming out a year from now is lying. Or its wild speculation, and if they don’t tell you it’s speculation then it is a lie.

To answer your question more directly; I’ve heard that both the BA and DA codices have been worked on to bring them more in line with the standards of C:SM. Blood Angels will be the next codex after Tyranids I’m almost positive on this (but again, its outside the six month window so call it an educated guess). I would speculate that this means Codex: Blood Angles will be out in April-May. So that doesn’t help you with Dark Angels, but rest assured the person who told you “no DA until 2015” is full of bovine excrement.

Oh, and 6th Edition is far closer than nine years...

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Brother-Captain

I don't know anything about the rumors, but its true that the Dark Angel codex was used as a test codex for C: SM.

In fact, the original "alpha test" for dark angels later became the foundation for C: SM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO View Post
    Before everyone goes crazy on me, I agree there are other codexes that need updating-Nids,Wolves,Dark Eldar,and Necron, just to name a few.But what really pissed me off is that the post went on to say that the Dark Angel Codex was a test codex for all 5th Ed. codexes.So,they basically knew that all following codexes would be better than Dark Angel and there would be a whole new addition in a year or two.From what I read sixth Ed. will be out in 9 years.So I'm supposed to wait 6 years for a competitive codex,buy it and all the crap that comes with it and in two or three years go back to getting pounded by all the new sixth Ed. codexs that my Dex help to develop.

GOD I hope so.

That still puts you getting a new codex in 3 LESS years than we Wolves had to wait.

It would feel SO good seeing the boot on the other foot finally.
    "The Emperor is with us, His sacred light shields us, and he has sent his wolves to watch over us."

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks Lerra,That is the other thing I wanted to find out about.I'm glad that my $25 for the codex and $200 for building an army were used to make all following codexes better than my own.So,basically they sold me a turd that they knew would only be competitive for a year and a half and then get pounded at every turn,when 5th Ed. came out.When people ask me,that don't know the Dark Angels,what makes them special ? I tell them we pay more for just about everything and have 1/3 less to choose from. I know that people will bring up scoring land speeders to that I say big deal 10 shoota boys can shoot it to pieces in a turn. Veteran squads,which are no match for sternguard,Deathwing which are great if you want to reenact Custers last stand and ravenwing which you can make with the regular codex by putting a captain on a bike.They have taken everything that was special about the dark angels and handed out to other chapters and races and at a lower price.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well maybe the Fly Lords will beat GW to it (and do a better job to boot)?

Battle-Brother

I wouldn't mind seeing a BoLS 'dex for the Dark Angels. But to be honest, I think our best hope for a new Dark Angel army list lies with Forgeworld. I thought of several reasons why this may be preferable.

1. Warwick Kinrade is a well-known fan of our first legion. They already gave us love with the Mortis Dreadnought, and two Unforgiven chapters featured prominently in the Vraks trilogy.
    2. Forgeworld stated yesterday that they intend to step publication up to 4 books per year-ish.
    3. The GW model range is nearly complete for the Dark Angels. Forgeworld would only have to do a few special characters and units, like Belial, an Inquisitor-Chaplain in Terminator Armor, Deathwing and Ravenwing command squads, and refresh the army list.
    4. Forgeworld has now proven that, although their army lists are far from perfect, they are more than willing to update their unit entries as the GW studio produces new rules.

I know it's just wishful thinking on my part. But every so often, wishful rumors end up being seen by the right people to make things happen. So I'll go completely wild here and suggest this for Imperial Armor 9 or 10 or whatever is next... A planet where five Fallen Dark Angels have gathered and are starting a cult against the Imperial command. The PDF must fight against a Renegade Fallen Cult, requiring assistance from the Dark Angels and the Adeptus Arbites. The book could have an updated DA list, an Arbites allies list with new troop and vehicle models (since GW doesn't look like they'll ever get around to doing plastic Stormtroopers), some new love for the Imperial Guard via PDF units, some cult units, and a Fallen character or two.
    You know you want it - http://basementgamingbunker.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Grabnutz View Post
    Well maybe the Fly Lords will beat GW to it (and do a better job to boot)?
    I hope thats the case Grabnutz,I have found that people that do things for the love of the game (rather than dollar signs) produce a far better product than the goons at greed-workshop 99% of the time.The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to use them in a tournament.

I really hope BA don't get the next update after Nids. I'm hoping its either Dark Eldar or Necrons. C:SM is not that old and SW JUST got updated, give the MEQ's a rest for a couple of codices.

I know BA have been using a WD codex, they technically just got a new codex with C:SM.

All I'm saying is show some love to the decade old Codices.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast