BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infiltration

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Infiltration

Just wanted some other opinions on this since there is contention in my playgroup ^_^

Under Infiltration, (pg 38) It says "A Unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in the first turn."

So the question is, does this refer to the first turn, or that players first turn.

IE, If I am the second player, is it possible for me to charge on my first turn, since it is not THE first turn?

Same thing for scouts

Thanks

Chapter-Master

See page 9. 'Turn' always refers to a player's turn unless it explicitly states 'game turn'. Neither player using infiltrators can charge with them on their first turn.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    See page 9. 'Turn' always refers to a player's turn unless it explicitly states 'game turn'. Neither player using infiltrators can charge with them on their first turn.

You just contradicted yourself though. The first turn, would not be the second players first turn, that would be the second turn of the game.

If infiltration said "A unit that deploys using infiltration cannot charge on THEIR first turn" there would be no question, but it says THE first turn, which is the first players first turn, not the second players first turn. =\

Librarian

"First Turn" is being used in this case to denote that for EACH PLAYER'S FIRST TURN, they may not assault. In the same way that "Second Turn" does not allow player 2 to start rolling for reserves on turn one.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    "First Turn" is being used in this case to denote that for EACH PLAYER'S FIRST TURN, they may not assault. In the same way that "Second Turn" does not allow player 2 to start rolling for reserves on turn one.
    No, reserves specifically says "Your turn two" not just "turn two"

The issue I have, is that I feel infiltration is a liability for assault units if you are the second player. It would be better to just deploy them normally so that they have a chance to charge opponents that move forward in their movement phase and are not going to suffer 2 rounds of shooting at closer to rapid fire range, nor get assaulted.

I understand why the first player cannot charge if they infiltrate or assault, but by the second players turn the first player has had a turn to react to the scouts and infiltrators, shoot them and/or charge them.

Librarian

Yes. You can shoot them as normal. Glad we cleared that up.

Yes. You can shoot them as normal. Glad we cleared that up.
    There was no question about whether you can shoot with Infiltrators. This thread is about charging on the second player turn with Infiltrators and Scouts.

Pg.9 on Turns:
    "Whenever a rule refers to 'a turn' it always means 'player turn' unless it specifically refers to a 'game turn'."

Pg.38 on Infiltrate:
    "A unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in the first turn."

Therefore a unit that deploys using Infiltrate cannot charge in the first player turn.

It could be argued that the second player's first turn is not the first player turn.

Why didn't they specify that Infiltrators cannot charge during the first game turn, as mentioned on page 9, if that is how the rule is meant to work?

Librarian

Except that first turn and second turn only ever refer to game turn-a in, "on the first turn of the game."

And my last response was sarcasm. GW has always attempted to minimize the opportunities to assault on turn one. On the rare occasions it could occur, it was highly unlikely and generally required that your opponent made an exceptional blunder during deployment, s well as a bit of fudging on the measurement. A few units could actually pull it of, but they needed a good deal of luck or a very heft points investment to do so.

So if they are saying that on turn one you cannot assault, it is because they don't want you to assault before game turn 2. Which is in keeping with their general aim to reduce assault unit superiority in this edition.

Which is in keeping with their general aim to reduce assault unit superiority in this edition.
    (emphasis mine)
    The fact that you can employ such a sentence means your local meta must be staggeringly different that mine.
    Local to me assulty lists make up a quarter or less of the total lists and aren't disproportionately represented among the top tier in tournaments either.

@OP, it sounds to me like another case of GW failing to be as explicit as they should have been. With a book this large it's not shocking a few things slipped through the cracks.
    My sense is that they intend to prevent all first game turn assaults but RAW doesn't seem to provide a conclusive answer currently. [And I'll skip elaborating on my thoughts regarding GW deciding to push the game even more deeply into gun line territory this edition ]

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melon-neko View Post
    You just contradicted yourself though. The first turn, would not be the second players first turn, that would be the second turn of the game.

If infiltration said "A unit that deploys using infiltration cannot charge on THEIR first turn" there would be no question, but it says THE first turn, which is the first players first turn, not the second players first turn. =\

Quote Originally Posted by Melon-neko View Post
    No, reserves specifically says "Your turn two" not just "turn two"

The issue I have, is that I feel infiltration is a liability for assault units if you are the second player. It would be better to just deploy them normally so that they have a chance to charge opponents that move forward in their movement phase and are not going to suffer 2 rounds of shooting at closer to rapid fire range, nor get assaulted.

I understand why the first player cannot charge if they infiltrate or assault, but by the second players turn the first player has had a turn to react to the scouts and infiltrators, shoot them and/or charge them.
    Good point. In this case then, RAW is very clear. Player 1 may not assault since the first turn is his, player 2 may assault as it is only their first turn, not the first turn. Player 2 has to suffer getting their infiltrators all shot up, but can charge with them which seems like a fair trade off and probably what was intended.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast