BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Help a noobie with Stegadons

Hello, all....
    I'm fairly new to WFB and Lizardmen, and I could use some help in figuring out how to arm my Stegadon/
    Should I have more than one?
    Should I go with giant blowpipes? The mighty bow?
    Or is the Engine of the Gods the most effective?
    Any help you'd care to give a new Lustrian, I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Hello, all....
    I'm fairly new to WFB and Lizardmen, and I could use some help in figuring out how to arm my Stegadon/
    Should I have more than one?
    Should I go with giant blowpipes? The mighty bow?
    Or is the Engine of the Gods the most effective?
    Any help you'd care to give a new Lustrian, I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Brent
    Treat it like an uber chariot. You'll want to be marching to close in, however while the greatbow has range the bs3 doesn't really make it reliable, at least with the giant blowpipes you get 2d6 shots. Also if you are going to be shooting some of the crew javelins might be in range. But if you are that close you should really be charing and squishing things in melee!

Brother-Sergeant

Treat it like an uber chariot.
    Exactly, this is why you don't want to take the bow. Take a skink priest BSB on an ancient stegadon with the stegadon War Spear. Then add a regular stegadon. I find that is my favorite way to take them. While most builds you can think of will work or have some viability, giving them a shooting attack dissuades you from taking advantage of their greatest strength, which is crushing things. Taking the engine makes an expensive unit more expensive, but if you are not taking a slann, it might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCastigator View Post
    Exactly, this is why you don't want to take the bow. Take a skink priest BSB on an ancient stegadon with the stegadon War Spear. Then add a regular stegadon. I find that is my favorite way to take them. While most builds you can think of will work or have some viability, giving them a shooting attack dissuades you from taking advantage of their greatest strength, which is crushing things. Taking the engine makes an expensive unit more expensive, but if you are not taking a slann, it might be helpful.
    there is no more stegadon war spear in the book so no more 2d6 impact hits...

Also, your characters and the skinks no longer get the 2+ armor save from being on top of the ancient...in fact you cant target the skinks at all (unless you put a character up top)...they are just a few extra attacks for the steg...therefore you can always shoot as long as the steg is alive...the problem with this is of course that cannons are treated as sniper rifles in this edition making your monsters die hard...

Chaplain

I prefer an ancient Steg with the eotg possibly with devastating charge &/or sharpened horns for the extra cc clout. I run the Steg next to my temple guard and Slann to provide the a ward save. I've found that although you now have to cast the spell effect the upside of being to be able to reduce casting values and give the ward at the same time offsets this downside. You also can't have the engine knocked out by losing the rider as in the old book.

As someone has already said the bow is not reliable enough for that to be the determining factor over which Steg you pick (unless we get an FAQ) which allows you to use a skink chiefs BS. The ancient Steg with the blow pipes could be good but I've only used the eotg as I seem to have the worst luck at random effects

Currently I take 2 normal stegs and 1 eotg rare ancient steg. Add some cheapish bastilidons and you have target saturation which should keep stuff alive.

Scout

Have not played WFB since 6th edition started to ruin the game.. so, this may not apply.

I used to just take 1 Stegadon with 6 skinks and the bow. You shoot the bow at things and see if you get lucky picking off someone's goon riding a hippogriff or something, and then you just plow it into things. It's a dinosaur, not an artillery device.

I think at the time, my army I used that won a few tournaments was something like:

Saurus Lord on Carnosaur
    5 Kroxigors
    1 Stegadon
    3 Salamanders
    tons of chameleon skinks and regular skinks
    saurus to fill in the remaining space.

Before 6th edition, it was basically:
    1 Slann, armed to the teeth
    1 Stegadon
    5 kroxigors
    1 salamander
    skinks + saurus to fill in what was left....

This is making me miss my Lizardmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phototoxin View Post
    Currently I take 2 normal stegs and 1 eotg rare ancient steg. Add some cheapish bastilidons and you have target saturation which should keep stuff alive.
    yeah but what else do you have in the army...

i was looking at Engine and 2 stegs and 2 bastilidons...it gets expensive depending on point size...especially when you need 645 points of core at 2500 points...