BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default GW Studio Open Day Rundown:

Faeit 212 got a decent rundown on the GW Openday and some interesting tidbits regarding 6th were touched on:

[URL="http://natfka.blogspot.com/2012/07/faeit-212-exclusive-40k-design-studio.html"]Full article[/URL]

Main points:

-Hull points added to help reduce the randomness of the old vehicle rules, so vehicles degrade along a more regular curve, instead of being impossible to kill, or instantly dead.

-Psyker rules added to give them a more impact in game compared to their watered down versions in 5th.

-Challenges added to give heroes a feel of leading units in battle and offer chances for in-game heroics.

-6 40k projects are in the works right now

-Goal of releasing a major project for the game every month ongoing.

-Alessio was cited as making 5th edition a bit "flat and generic" by pushing towards a balanced competitive-worthy ruleset. They have moved in a different direction for 6th.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    -Alessio was cited as making 5th edition a bit "flat and generic" by pushing towards a balanced competitive-worthy ruleset. They have moved in a different direction for 6th.
    *snrrrrrrrrrrrrrk* Fwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Anyone trying to claim "40k is competitive!" from now on is going to have a hard time getting around that one.

First-Captain

TBH 40k is still competative, would be more so if they updated every codex within x months of the rules release
    For the Greater good.

Wow, reading that it's... disappointing, I guess, just how differently I view the game than the creators

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Crevab View Post
    Wow, reading that it's... disappointing, I guess, just how differently I view the game than the creators
    Or any of us, for that matter... the idea that 5th was more 'competitive-worthy' is laughable. As is the idea that psykers already weren't having a 'big enough impact' when half the armies don't even have a means of stopping them.

Chapter-Master

Why allies and fortifications? To sell more models, duh. Like that was a question that even needed asking.

"He said that there would most likely need to be a larger number of expansions between now and 4 years time so that you don’t reach a point where all codex’s for 6th are released with 2 years still to go before the next cycle."

So in other words we are going to get a situation where some codexes are still left languishing until the end of the cycle. Oh good. Why not update all the codexes and then fart around with the expansions if you are so keen to prolong the lifespan of the rules? And so by a project every month, I expect to see new terrain, flyers etc, not a codex every month. Still it would be nice to see at least a couple between now and the end of the year and it is good to hear that they are planning to give us plenty of stuff over the next few months. That should stop people whining about 'the year of 40k' being a let down.

If 6th ed was finished 6 months ago, I think that conclusively proves that the 'leaked' rule set was fanmade one and not a work in progress (in case anyone still had any doubts).

Tyranids in the works? Yay!

So that's what's been taking up all the parking spaces. There is no way that thing is life size. You cannot possibly fit 10 marines into it.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Why allies and fortifications? To sell more models, duh. Like that was a question that even needed asking.

"He said that there would most likely need to be a larger number of expansions between now and 4 years time so that you don’t reach a point where all codex’s for 6th are released with 2 years still to go before the next cycle."

So in other words we are going to get a situation where some codexes are still left languishing until the end of the cycle. Oh good. Why not update all the codexes and then fart around with the expansions if you are so keen to prolong the lifespan of the rules? And so by a project every month, I expect to see new terrain, flyers etc, not a codex every month. Still it would be nice to see at least a couple between now and the end of the year and it is good to hear that they are planning to give us plenty of stuff over the next few months. That should stop people whining about 'the year of 40k' being a let down.
    Think of this from a financial standpoint. Releasing an army say, every 3 months means you'll sell more. Whereas I can certainly afford an expansion book every month, or something to add to my current armies, I can only realistically justify the cost of a new army periodically. Yet that doesn't stop me getting 'shinynew syndrome' every month.

And to be honest, I do question just how many armies are in urgent need of an update. Tau, Dark Angels, Eldar and Chaos spring to mind, follow by Tryanids. The rest strike me as much of a muchness
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Think of this from a financial standpoint. Releasing an army say, every 3 months means you'll sell more. Whereas I can certainly afford an expansion book every month, or something to add to my current armies, I can only realistically justify the cost of a new army periodically. Yet that doesn't stop me getting 'shinynew syndrome' every month.

And to be honest, I do question just how many armies are in urgent need of an update. Tau, Dark Angels, Eldar and Chaos spring to mind, follow by Tryanids. The rest strike me as much of a muchness
    I'd add SoB to that list since they don't actually have a proper codex. And if those were the ones to get updated first, then a codex every 3 months wouldn't be so much of an issue, but we all know they won't be. Rumours are CSM are first and we all know vanilla marines won't be too far behind. Even if they did update all those armies first, with one every three months you are still looking at waiting another year and half if you are last on the list, but with the big sellers chucked in there you are talking at least another two years to wait in some cases. And with expansions, Hobbit and fantasy in there, it could be more like 4-5 months between codexes. When we already have codexes which weren't updated last edition, it really sucks if you are the player of one of those armies. I get the business sense behind it, but that it is little consolation to those players affected by it.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'd add SoB to that list since they don't actually have a proper codex. And if those were the ones to get updated first, then a codex every 3 months wouldn't be so much of an issue, but we all know they won't be. Rumours are CSM are first and we all know vanilla marines won't be too far behind. Even if they did update all those armies first, with one every three months you are still looking at waiting another year and half if you are last on the list, but with the big sellers chucked in there you are talking at least another two years to wait in some cases. And with expansions, Hobbit and fantasy in there, it could be more like 4-5 months between codexes. When we already have codexes which weren't updated last edition, it really sucks if you are the player of one of those armies. I get the business sense behind it, but that it is little consolation to those players affected by it.
    I did indeed neglect Sisters!

But overall, none of the armybooks are exactly unplayable. Sure they need a spit and polish and everyone wants fun new toys, but they all function within the framework of the current rule set. In terms of the pay off for the producer, I'm guessing you also have to balance it out with how popular a given army is and what sort of return one might expect. SoB for various reasons have never been a widely played army, whereas Chaos and Tau have quite a wide base of players, and appeal to a wider range (former Chaos player. Had Iron Warriors in 3.5, got bored, sold them, and just need something to hook me in again) so it makes financial sense and crowd pleasing sense to tackle those first.

Marines? I don't see it to be honest. They have a complete set of models, nothing looks dated, and they've just had their digital codex released. Sure it's updateable, but this could be a new way of doing things. The Codex itself isn't broke, and needs nothing really doing to it. So just dish out new toys via WD, and save production costs, which can be filtered into other projects.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 07-15-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I, um, ooo... Sounds like some interesting stuff out there. I like the direction they say they are taking the rules, and this bodes well for not only the newer codices, but for future editions if they stay with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast