BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith154 View Post
    well i still have my doubts. frankly the star dragon is one of the strongest monsters avaible and has a elf lord decked out in magic items on top of him i highly doubt that the single bloodthrister is gonna over power both of them, but like i said i do not have the daemons book so i cannot test it for my self regardless.
    Well, if it helps, here's what a bloodthirster has that matters. (the ones I tend to play, anyway)

Toughness six, five wounds. Five plus armor (doesn't matter) five plus ward (does matter). Seven Initiative 9, Strength 10, WS 10 attacks that re-roll rolls to hit.

At one time, I had the high elf codex pretty well memorized, and my memory suggests that the star dragon isn't gonna pull that one off, pretty much regardless of what the Lord is armed with, but I'll let you figure it out.

He can also be strength seven with flaming attacks and a 3+ armor save (still re-rolls failed rolls to wound). and a couple of other varieties that I never really use.

Veteran-Sergeant

Star dragons going in with weapon skill 7 Strength 7 toughness 6 wounds 7 Attacks 6 intiative 2
    Armor save 3+ now he loses big time on speed but other wise he can simply tank all your blood thristers attacks unless blood's got a multiple wound type ability, since it's highly unlikely all 7 of your thirsters attacks with score a wound and the star dragon has 7 wounds. now according to the gamesworkshop site a blood thrister only has strength 6 is there some item that boosts him all the way to 10? cause otherwise even strength 7 is only equal to the dragon.

that aside you still have the elf lord to deal with too and he'll strike first, i like tohave him equipped wit hthe armor of caledor(flame ward save 2+ armor save 2+) and i useally toss it up between an auto wound sword or an extra 3 attacks, i happen to like quantity and all put together such an elf lord can put out 7 str 4 attacks at weapon skill 7 or 4 attacks that auto wound. honestly based on what you put forth compared to what my books telling me your blood thirster would have a hard time against a star dragon + elf lord the elf lord would soften him up a couple wounds atleast. and it's highly unlikely the dragon or lord would die during the blood thister attack only to follow up with a pissed off dragon and 6 more attacks at str 7.

Veteran-Sergeant

still my interest has been peaked and i will now have to go get the codex for daemons so i can figure out how the blood thrister works. cause i like running tests. also cause the entire daemons codex is basically monsters. and i loooove monsters.

Battle-Brother

back to the topic, from the looks my favorite monster is the Terrorgheist.

Veteran-Sergeant

I also love the cockatrice. 5th edition was my favorite version of it, especially when my goblin general would freeze other monsters and characters.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Brother-Sergeant

Terrorgheist. Love the model... I got two, and I want another one to be a dedicated Ghoul King mount. And I want one to make the Zombie Dragon with rider.... Rules are pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith154 View Post
    Star dragons going in with weapon skill 7 Strength 7 toughness 6 wounds 7 Attacks 6 intiative 2
    Armor save 3+ now he loses big time on speed but other wise he can simply tank all your blood thristers attacks unless blood's got a multiple wound type ability, since it's highly unlikely all 7 of your thirsters attacks with score a wound and the star dragon has 7 wounds. now according to the gamesworkshop site a blood thrister only has strength 6 is there some item that boosts him all the way to 10? cause otherwise even strength 7 is only equal to the dragon.

that aside you still have the elf lord to deal with too and he'll strike first, i like tohave him equipped wit hthe armor of caledor(flame ward save 2+ armor save 2+) and i useally toss it up between an auto wound sword or an extra 3 attacks, i happen to like quantity and all put together such an elf lord can put out 7 str 4 attacks at weapon skill 7 or 4 attacks that auto wound. honestly based on what you put forth compared to what my books telling me your blood thirster would have a hard time against a star dragon + elf lord the elf lord would soften him up a couple wounds atleast. and it's highly unlikely the dragon or lord would die during the blood thister attack only to follow up with a pissed off dragon and 6 more attacks at str 7.
    Yeah, he has an item that boosts him to Strength ten. Alright, so, Elf lord with the +3 attacks sword and the armor on star dragon (That's the gear that I like, too, but I can't remember how much it all costs) against the Bloodthirster with Awesome Strength and Eternal Fury (550 points).

Lord swings first. He has about a 33% chance of doing a wound to the Bloodthirster, so we can probably write that one off for the moment. Bloodthirster has maybe taken one wound.

Bloodthirster goes. The lord isn't really a threat, so he focuses on the Dragon. He does five wounds to the dragon, on average, with a 74% chance of getting five or more and a 42% chance of killing the Dragon outright. (hitting on re-rollable 3s, wounding on 2s, ignoring the dragon's armor is pretty rough).

Dragon goes, does one wound to the Bloodthirster, with a 40% chance of doing two or more.

So, at the end of this, if things are going very, very well for the Dragon, he's got one wound left and the Bloodthirster has two left.

In the next round of combat, the lord doesn't kill the thirster, the thirster does kill the dragon before it swings (if he splits his attacks up, he has a pretty good chance of killing both). Even if he's been extremely unlucky, he's left with one wound against just the Lord--the lord has that one 33% chance to deal him one last wound, after which the bloodthirster almost certainly kills him.

*If he splits up his attacks five to the three-wound lord and two to the one-wound-remaining dragon, he has an 82% chance of killing both outright. So, it really doesn't go to a third round unless the dragon and lord are pretty absurdly lucky.

Also, star dragon and lord have been losing combat by a significant amount every round.

So, no. Star Dragon and Lord doesn't really match up to the bloodthirster (at least not the one I usually play), unless you've got some different gear to stick on there. With this gear, the most likely result is that the Bloodthirster kills both in two rounds while taking one or two wounds in return--not even a close fight.
    Last edited by Bean; 07-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

It occurred to me, though, that the Bloodthirster is not really my favorite monster. He's probably the most killy, but I actually think I like Fateweaver a little better. Fourteen spells on a flying, T5, 5 wound level 4 wizard with a 3+ ward save is pretty hot. There's pretty much one better wizard in the game, and that's Teclis. I'm not sure anyone else comes close. Though, of course, Fateweaver is, like, 625 points, which is kinda up there.

Veteran-Sergeant

Hah well your mathhammer is convincing, so i'll just cheat and throw two dragons at you... Dragons RULE!

The terrorghiest is on my target list as well( i went first for the zombie dragon) it's pretty nifty. i quite like the fact you can take them as rare units. which i don't get concerning the dragons. why can't they be solo? no matter. as for the cockatrice i've considered getting it but is the model really good quality?looks nifty enough but i'd like ot be sure. since i don't really have an army for it and i don't like left field buys that serve as nothing more then paper weights. as for other monsters that i favor, i'm rather fond of the Arachnarok spider for O&G and in addition i also favor the spider riders and the giant spider goblin mount. that being said real spiders are my mortal foes and i strive to exterminate then when they invade my personal space. like earlier in my car coming home from work. damn thing came flying at me from my window....

Yeah. How much is that dragon, anyway?

One thing that the dragon certainly has on the bloodthirster is that its model is way cooler. The Bloodthirster model is super lame--I use the plastic LoTR Balrog model, instead, and it's pretty cool.

Some of these new fantasy monsters, though, have really incredible kits. Here's hoping for a bloodthirster resculpt--not that it's likely to happen.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast