BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Talking Grey Knights and Tau

Think it could work??? The mass part of the army would be GK for sure 1427 pts to be exact leaving 423 in Tau. I have a list set but I want some opinions on if you think it could work or not between the 2 factions. Granted they don't get Brothers in Arms.....but hey, I can live with that.

If I get enough feedback, I'll post the possible list and explain the what, where and why's.

AND YES WITT, I KNOW I KNOW YOU'RE SHAKING YOUR HEAD.....lol

Just give me some love and pat me on the back and send me to the psych ward

Well, the whole purpose of using allies is either to have fun with other models or filling up gaps in your army composition and willing to sacrifice the pts in an already pretty strong army. The biggest advantage Tau could give you I think is the ranged fire power they can provide. With basically everything at S5+, you can save your psy ammo points and put them somewhere else. Fluff wise, I would go IG. Personally, do you really need an ally with GK other then buying different models? It is a good way to get termis with SS but Tau don't have any

Chapter-Master

Can GKs ally with Tau?

I didn't realize the could.

Honestly, I dont Tau and GK would work that well together, either. Like Xilton said, you're trying to make up for deficiencies, and I dont know Tau is the best served to do that for GKs.

Besides, fluff wise it doesn't make any sense. Just sayin

That is, unless you go with an Inquisition army plus Tau. That makes a lot of sense, actually.
    Last edited by wittdooley; 07-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.

www.queencityguard.com

Yea, GK are neutral with Tau

Chaplain

oh and this would be for non tourny play........more fo fun games. Lets me have some GK and have some Tau.

I prefer allies staying in fun games also. The more on the table, the merrier

Chapter-Master

GKs can't ally with 'nidz, CSM, or Daemons, are desperate allies with DE and Orks, but everyone else is allies of convenience.

The big thing that Tau bring that GKs don't have is high AP shooting. GKs can already spam medium-high strength anti-tank and anti-infantry, but they have very little melta/plasma/lascannon type weapons. Tau can bring that with plasma on Crisis Suits, Broadsides, etc. And Firewarriors can be a cheap scoring unit hiding in cover that can still shoot pretty well.

You have to start with an HQ and a couple of bodyguard suits and a small squad of firewarriors (no devilfish). Add in a Broadside or three, and then use the rest of your points on an Elite Crisis Suit unit. Max out plasma on the suits, and probably missile pods since you'll be leaving the close range stuff to the GKs themselves.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

ok.....here's the list...

Knights Side:1427 pts

Draigo

Troops x2
    Paladin w/ Banner/PsyCannon
    4 Paladins with Habred

Heavy x 2
    Dreadnaught w/ Twin Linked Attocannon/Search Light/PsyAmmo

Heavy
    Nemesis DreadKnight w/Peronal Teleporter/Psilencer/Psycannon/Daemonhammer

Tau 423 pts

HQ
    Shas'el W/HW BF, HW MT, TA, TW BC
    1 Bodyguard w/ TA/ TW BC

Troops x2
    6 man FW Squads w/Photon Gernades

Elite:
    1 Suit Team Leader w/Bonding Knife, HW Blacksun filter, TW BC, TA
    2 suit team members w/TW BC, TA

1850 on the nose.

I do have some ideas to improve on this. Thinking about taking the 3 man Elite for Tau and swapping out as this...

HQ
    Shas'el W/, TA, TW BC, SI

Troops x2
    6 man FW Squads w/Photon Gernades

Elite:
    1 Suit Team Leader w/Bonding Knife, HW Blacksun filter, TW PR, TA
    2 suit team members w/TW PR, TA

422 pts on this

Total with Knights would be 1849

I know this may seem off subject but I wouldn't use a dreadnought if he's your only vehicle on the board. He'll get eliminated very fast being the only one there and it is a ranged danger (48" S7) for the enemy. They will want it dead fast. A somewhat easy kill point.

The dreadknight. Why a hammer and psilencer? Psilencer are not very good at anything for the points cost and the hammer becomes pretty much useless since now the fists are S10. Not to mention losing an attack since the hammer is a specialized weapon not giving you that +1 for dual cc weapon. And at his cost, keep him simple. Psycannon, ok why not. I personally prefer a heavy incinerator.

For the pallies, based on your list, the banner and psycannon are on the same guy. Don't do that cause if you lose him, you lose 2 things instead of 1 which will hurt less your squad overall. I would also give one of them a sword. Not for wound allocation but it does give it a 4++ save in cc which can always be good and used for Look out sir saves on that hidden PF. I personally try to have a warding staff when the points allow it unless you don't plan on going in cc at all. With the ponts saved elsewhere, give then 2 psycannons instead of 1 and shoot the crap out of the units you'll be charging not to mention they are good at wrecking vehicles.

I see you have 2 troop choices for Tau. Do you have 2 because you want to or think you need 2 before using other slots? Just making sure you are aware that you can use only 1 if you want to making more points for something else. Never know.I can't think of anything else since I don't know the Tau very well
    Last edited by xilton; 07-17-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Besides, fluff wise it doesn't make any sense. Just sayin .
    The Grey Knights who only care about fighting Chaos and will gladly ally with xenos to do so? Not to mention that a lot of their weaponry is obviously based on xeno-tech? Oh and the fact that the Tau are (as far as anyone can tell) immune to the corrupting influence of Chaos and don't really bother with the warp or care about it at all?

I'd say the Grey Knights would be pretty fine allying with Tau.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast