BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Howling banshee question

Suppose I have a squad of banshees that have been nicely converted with power axes.

In the 6th ed rules it says that if the squad has a power weapon, whatever the weapon the model has is the power weapon that it has. In this case power axes (+1 strength unwieldy ). Unwieldy makes you strike at I1 however the banshee mask makes them I10 in the first turn of close combat. Would the banshees with the power axes be I10 or I1 the first turn of combat?

Also it appears that the banshee exarch’s executioner and mirror swords are not in the weapon list in the back of the 6th ed rule book but the triskele is in there.

What is the stats for the executioner and mirror swords?

I looked at the FAQ but there is nothing that answeres these questions there.
    There is no spoon

I don't remember any "power axes" that the banshees have, they have power swords and the others are unusual power weapons as they have additional rules.

Chaplain

Mirror swords ignore armor saves and is not actually a power weapon. As for the Executioner, it would be AP3. It is an Unusual Power Weapon.

Now, for the power weapons that the banshees have... we shall see what a FAQ for the BRB brings, but they start with an AP3 power thing. If it is modeled differently I would say you roll off based on the modifiers rule. basically, a 50% chance they strike at either initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    I don't remember any "power axes" that the banshees have, they have power swords and the others are unusual power weapons as they have additional rules.
    Ruleswise, they have "Power Weapons", not "Swords". Plus, apparently some of the older models did actually have axes.

The Chaos Marine squad kit only comes with a Power Sword, but I can choose to model it as an Axe, Mace or Spear if I so desire. The Banshees are no different.

As to the question, apparently due to Unwieldy modifying the Init. of attacks with that weapon, rather than the models Init., it overrides the mask. Balancewise, I agree with that - otherwise Axes would be purely superior to other choices.

There was already a thread on this, use the searchbar to find it.

I didn't know they had the axes in old model, doesn't seem to fit, I couldn't check the wording either. As to whether it overrides or not it doesn't actually say that in the rules but it could work that way or you could have to roll off.

Banned

^ that's the original Exarch model, says so right there on the tab. Power axe was one of the unique Exarch weapons she could roll up.

Some people have argued that the Banshee mask gives the model I10, but the Unwieldy rule makes them "strike" at I1. I'm not particularly convinced by that, but even if that is incorrect, you're then dealing with two different fixed value modifiers, which means you have to roll off every time to see which one applies. In either case, I'd say it's not worth the hassle and stick to doom/guide bladestorms or volume of S6 shots to take care of 2+ saves.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; 07-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Brother-Captain

Don't forget her sweet las pistol!

If they are have axes in their hands they have Power Axes per the rules and strike a I1. With a mask on the charge you roll a D6 to see if they are I1 or I10. Both are set modifers. Works the same way if a Banshee on the charge hits a lash whip/whip coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomfang View Post
    If they are have axes in their hands they have Power Axes per the rules and strike a I1. With a mask on the charge you roll a D6 to see if they are I1 or I10. Both are set modifers. Works the same way if a Banshee on the charge hits a lash whip/whip coil.
    Nope. Unwieldy over rules, same as a Powerfist combined with assault or plasma grenades.

Though you never know, Bumshee masks might make your opponent I1 (which makes a lot more sense to my ind) in the next Codex....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast