BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What was incorrect about the SoB having access to power swords?
    Because they should all have Power Mauls.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

What was incorrect about the SoB having access to power swords?
    Because when that codex was written, Power Sword was incorrect, and, there are SoB models with Power Mauls. It brings it in to line with other codexes becuase that errata was added before 6th ed.

All I am saying, is that going forward, new codexes will only let certain units have certain types of power weapons, its obviously the way they are going to move things when you read the rule book
    Last edited by Captainparty; 07-19-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Why was it incorrect? They had power swords in 2nd edition, they had power swords in 3rd edition, they had power swords when the WD codex was printed, now they have access to power swords and the rest.

No, it certainly is not clear. It explicitly states you have to look at the model to determine the type, and most references to specific power weapon types are being erratad to go to the generic power weapons type. That to me, and many others both here an on Warseer, indicates they are moving away from specifying what type of power weapon.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

There's nothing more terrifying than a woman who's right.

Why was it incorrect? They had power swords in 2nd edition, they had power swords in 3rd edition, they had power swords when the WD codex was printed, now they have access to power swords and the rest.

No, it certainly is not clear. It explicitly states you have to look at the model to determine the type, and most references to specific power weapon types are being erratad to go to the generic power weapons type. That to me, and many others both here an on Warseer, indicates they are moving away from specifying what type of power weapon.
    This was incorrect because there was no such thing as a Power Sword in the rules for 5th, there were Power Weapons, so calling it a power sword was incorrect, that was a 5th ed codex and it was changed in a 5th ed FAQ.

All 5th ed codexes should have called them Power Weapons, they were all errata'd before 6th ed, which is why they aren't pink in the latest FAQs, so for now, they are all Power Weapons and you base the type on the model, yes.

However.

The rule book states that when a model has a power weapon and their unit entry doesn't specify what type it is, then look at the model to determine what it is, which actually seems to suggest that they will be specified in codexes actually, because it treats them not being specified as the exception whcih requires you to look at the model.

So, I guess you and the others on here and Warseer, two such reputable and intelligent communties, are pretty much wrong as we will see in the Chaos Codex, when we will see access to certain power weapons on a unit by unit basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    There's nothing more terrifying than a woman who's right.
    There is, one who has been proved wrong!

That is wrong, Codex: Space Marines also references power swords (p52), in terms of rules yes there are no specific rules for any kind of power weapon in the BRB. It still does nothing for your argument that things are moving from general to specific when your examples are of specific being faqed to general on the basis that 5th was supposed to be general too.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Ok so let's set this out:

5th edition had no rules for specific power weapons because they all just ignored armour saves, specifying which was just for appearance/fluff purposes or to give another weapon the ability to ignore armour saves (a la agoniser & huskblade).

5th edition Codex: Space Marines (2008) mentions power swords. (specific)
    5th edition Codex: Imperial Guard (2009, I think) mentions 'power weapons. (general)
    5th edition Codex: Grey Knights (2011) mentions 'power swords' (specific)
    5th edition Codex: Sisters of Battle (2011) mentions 'power swords' (specific)

6th ed BRB states that power weapons now have specific rules, and directs us to to look to the model to determine which. A huge move to general.

6th edition FAQs replace mentions of specific types of power weapon, like the power sword, with the generic label 'power weapon'. Another huge shift to general.

Now you are arguing this is paving the way towards a wholesale shift towards specific power weapons.

You will pardon me if I consider that a rather ludicrous and entirely baseless claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainparty View Post
    There is, one who has been proved wrong!
    Are you sure? Eeep.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Unwieldly is a Set Bonus used during close combat. At the time the Initiative step is called upon, the model's initiative is currently 1, not anything else.

Banshee Masks are a Set bonus of 10. They are Initiative 10 during Close Combat, and would make their 'pile in' moves at I10.

If you give some Banshees Axes, then you would roll a 4+ for Initiative 10, otherwise Initiative 1.
    Banshees with Axes are Wicked. 50% of the squad striking piling it at I10 with Str 4 AP2 and a bajillion attacks. That's a solid chance of cutting down a terminator squad before they can do anything.
    So to get this straight: the rule for Unwieldy says "A model attacking with this weapon does so at Initiative step 1, unless it is a MC or Walker". It doesn’t say it modifies the models Initiative, just that the actual weapon strikes at initiative 1. The model still has initiative 10 for when it makes its pile in moves, but strikes at I1.

If I have a squad of 10 banshees 4w/ power swords 5 w/ power axes and an Exarch with an executioner. Send the Exarch in with a executioner and try to take out opposing power weapons with Precision Strikes. Have the 4 with the swords up front with the Exarch they would all (4 banshees with power swords and the exarch) strike at I10 Let the swords do a little damage (or just take the hits from power weapons or fists) and then have the banshees with the power axes pile in at I10 and then strike at I1.

It’s basically like putting a few power fists in for free.
    There is no spoon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast