BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    I don't know if it's too late to comment on it, but it looks like GW has taken steps to get themselves a digital business plan, according to the stroy on the front page.

Also, I don't know what I would pay as a subscription fee for GW stuff. It would all depend on the cost and benefits.
    it's limited but yes, they are on the right path. They're just getting there VERY slowly. Now if they could just bring down the price on plastic crack it'd be a great model, and grow the business. Or hell the industry.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery
    Why? Why the pressing need? If they go purely digital for rules and that, they're just creating a barrier to entry. How are you meant to sell that in the stores? £45 and walk off with an internet code? No ta skip. It's a tactile hobby, so the digital age has less relevance to it.
    I would fully expect them to continue to sell physical copies, so long as that remained profitable. I see no reason why they can't put up PDFs of each and every armylist. Buy the books to get the whole package, but you can buy just the rules, or both the rules and fluff, as an e-book. The more options they have, the fewer barriers to entry there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsugaku View Post
    Why? This is exactly the model I'm suggesting - optionally pay £10 a month for access to everything or pay one off charges of £25 for a codex?
    The difference between Netflix and what you're proposing the the scope of the content. Paying a small monthly fee gets me access to hundreds of tv shows, movies, documentaries, and all sorts of stuff. That's well worth the montly fee.

Paying a monthly fee to simply have access to a handful of book that I really only occasionally glance at, and mostly only use to write army lists to play 40k, does not provide even close to the degree of content required for me to want to pay a monthly fee for access.

On a more philosophical level, the idea that I'm buying temporary access to something, rather than actually buying the product itself, is completely unappealing. I want to buy the codex. I don't want to rent it. I want to buy it. Not rent. Buy. There's a difference. To me, it would feel exploitative of GW to rack up monthly fees when I should be able to buy their books and keep them to use as I please.

You do? Life is too damn short my friend, donut worry so much. I actively avoid cash, make things a lot faster.
    'You only live once' is kind of like 'Carpe Diem' for stupid people. When most of the industrial world is in a recession because of a lack of sound fiscal behavior, I'm not going to start making poor financial decisions.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post

'You only live once' is kind of like 'Carpe Diem' for stupid people. When most of the industrial world is in a recession because of a lack of sound fiscal behavior, I'm not going to start making poor financial decisions.

Well that's not very nice - I might not agree with your ideas but I didn't call you stupid.

What is it about the Internet that makes people think its ok to talk like that?

Well that's not very nice - I might not agree with your ideas but I didn't call you stupid.

it's the high level of stupid you come into contact with. if you actually have a brain stupid people really piss you off more so on the internet. Not saying anyone here is stupid just making a general comment about the internet.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

I wasn't calling you an idiot, I was actually quoting Jack Black: [url]http://weknowmemes.com/2012/06/yolo-is-carpe-diem-for-stupid-people/[/url] Not intended to insult anyone.

I was just too lazy to look up the name of the guy who said it and properly quote him.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quoting jack black? The less said about that the better

Anyway, that's the way it came across - must reply to your other points when I have a chance

I see no reason why they can't put up PDFs of each and every armylist
    Because that totally misses all of the opportunities for building something new and better - a PDF is just a copy of the existing publishing model.

Paying a monthly fee to simply have access to a handful of book that I really only occasionally glance at, and mostly only use to write army lists to play 40k, does not provide even close to the degree of content required for me to want to pay a monthly fee for access.
    Well then I suppose - don't pay? Personally I'd pay £10 a month for access to all the codexes & supporting books, no problem at all. I'd even sign up for a year long membership for £100. But if you don't want to - cool. Either pay £20 a codex for a physical copy of £20 for the electronic copy with the supporting tools mentioned.

On a more philosophical level, the idea that I'm buying temporary access to something, rather than actually buying the product itself, is completely unappealing. I want to buy the codex. I don't want to rent it. I want to buy it. Not rent. Buy. There's a difference. To me, it would feel exploitative of GW to rack up monthly fees when I should be able to buy their books and keep them to use as I please.
    You don't own a copy when you rent a movie though? And that's far more expensive per hour of fun than this isn't it? You don't owns copy of TV shows you watch (if you pay for TV, I do), you don;t own a copy of songs on Spotify. Instead you pay for access to a whole lot more content, for a much smaller fee, for a limited time. How much would all GW rulebooks cost right now to buy? let's say 30 codexes and army books, 3 main rule books and around 10 supporting books. That's £900 of books, available for a tenner. Sounds like a bargain to me.

What difference does cash or bank cards make to this? Make wise financial decisions (like, in a lot of circumstances, this one) but don't be funny about the new tech GW is a damn cheap hobby compared to every other one I've had.

Not this year, not in the next five years, but in a decade or two GW is going to have to earn its market share again
    It's way sooner than that. They need to sort themselves out in the next 18 months.

They don't support their customers.
    Yes, yes they do. They just don't cater to the loud mouthed forum user who is utterly unrepresentative of their core market.

However, they've almost completely dropped support for any sort of community building anything.
    Not hey haven't - they just donut understand digital, because they can't control it, and they are control freaks because all they have is their brand. No brand means no money.

What they need to do is to embrace digital fully and go with the knocks, respond in a timely manner, stop turning comments off on their youtube videos for gods sake.

They screw over armies in FAQs ('nidz)
    No they don't - they do what they think is best. It's their game. They don't want to screw anyone.

they just don't seem to care about their customer
    On what basis to you make that statement?

So long as the perception is that GW doesn't care about the customer,
    It's just a perception - it's not true. This is what they need to embrace the whole digital thing fully and openly and engage with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    I don't know if it's too late to comment on it, but it looks like GW has taken steps to get themselves a digital business plan, according to the stroy on the front page.

Also, I don't know what I would pay as a subscription fee for GW stuff. It would all depend on the cost and benefits.
    If it was the things listed above - what would it be worth to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Why? Why the pressing need? If they go purely digital for rules and that, they're just creating a barrier to entry. How are you meant to sell that in the stores? £45 and walk off with an internet code? No ta skip. It's a tactile hobby, so the digital age has less relevance to it.
    What does the store have to do with it? This is entirely digital, you don;t need to go into a store.

If you live near one, if you still want to - you can go to one, buy a book, nothing changes.

If you don;t live near one, if you don't; want a book, if you're just damn busy, you can go digital.

A digital user can still play against a analogue user because the game - it hasn't changed at all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast