BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gauss V Tesla in 6th Edition.

How do. Yet another Necron discussion thread!

So, in 5th Edition the humble Tesla Carbine was very much my weapon of choice, once both bases were covered (I have 30 Immortals, 10 with Gauss Blasters).

But then in 6th Edition of course, they are equally dakkalicious at long range as assault no longer holds the premium it did. Now this hasn't made Tesla any worse, it's still an awesome weapon, but it has given Gauss Blasters an extra edge. Plus in my army I run a lot of Tesla Destructors, so the AP4 of a Gauss Blasters is very welcome against many armies.

Add in the extra threat of being able to reliably glance any given vehicle into the dirt, and the choice is far more finely balanced.

My main question of course, is whether Gauss is best left to the humble Necron Warrior, who in my experience regularly punch above their weight? When tank hunting the heavier vehicle, the increase in S and AP matters not, as it's the 6's to penetrate I'm after. Put in enough Gauss, and I can more or less dispence with more potent anti-tank as the sheer amount I could potentially field will keep my opponent wary (ideally to the point of hesitany) with his armour, regardless of whether it's a transport or a heavy!

So what are your thoughts? Is it the same as 5th Edition, more finely balanced, or a no brainer in favour of one or the other?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

My buddy plays warriors with gauss because of the hull points. When you fire gauss in the 6th, rolls to damage auto glance on a 6. So, if you're fielding 20 warriors with gauss, your chances of stripping every hull point off of a transport in one turn.

The way he plays is to have a small unit with a kryptek, a lord with a res orb, and a ghost ark in the back pumping out 3 warriors per turn... March them up to rapid fire range with a vehicle in their sights and poof! Four glances and that land raider is toast!
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

Veteran-Sergeant

My suggestion is to take Tesla Carbines on your Immortals, and look to your Warriors for your Gauss needs, as long as you think you have enough of them (and you seem to). =)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Panxer View Post
    My buddy plays warriors with gauss because of the hull points. When you fire gauss in the 6th, rolls to damage auto glance on a 6. So, if you're fielding 20 warriors with gauss, your chances of stripping every hull point off of a transport in one turn.

The way he plays is to have a small unit with a kryptek, a lord with a res orb, and a ghost ark in the back pumping out 3 warriors per turn... March them up to rapid fire range with a vehicle in their sights and poof! Four glances and that land raider is toast!
    I wonder what you mean by pumping out 3 warriors a turn? The Ghost ark is not like the Spyders and can only resurrect those warriors that have died. It does not add more to the unit then when it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachodragon View Post
    I wonder what you mean by pumping out 3 warriors a turn? The Ghost ark is not like the Spyders and can only resurrect those warriors that have died. It does not add more to the unit then when it started.
    Yeah, ghost arks have the ability to poop out warriors at the start of the movement phase. It has to roll for it, then once the roll is passed they can poop out d3 warriors per turn per ark. Combine that with the 4+ Rp rolls from the res orb and you've got a full squad of warriors in a few turns
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

I think you are reading that rule incorrectly. The ghost ark repairs D3 fallen necrons, not create new models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrchilidog View Post
    I think you are reading that rule incorrectly. The ghost ark repairs D3 fallen necrons, not create new models.
    This is correct. Page 53, under Repair Barge. First sentence and fourth sentence.

Chapter-Master

In 5th, I would have gone all Tesla.
    In 6th, I think Tesla is still better as vehicles definitely won't be very prominent anymore. In saying that, I would have one or two more squads of Gauss Immortals than before, or some Warriors. The new glancing rules are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How do. Yet another Necron discussion thread!

So, in 5th Edition the humble Tesla Carbine was very much my weapon of choice, once both bases were covered (I have 30 Immortals, 10 with Gauss Blasters).

But then in 6th Edition of course, they are equally dakkalicious at long range as assault no longer holds the premium it did. Now this hasn't made Tesla any worse, it's still an awesome weapon, but it has given Gauss Blasters an extra edge. Plus in my army I run a lot of Tesla Destructors, so the AP4 of a Gauss Blasters is very welcome against many armies.

Add in the extra threat of being able to reliably glance any given vehicle into the dirt, and the choice is far more finely balanced.

My main question of course, is whether Gauss is best left to the humble Necron Warrior, who in my experience regularly punch above their weight? When tank hunting the heavier vehicle, the increase in S and AP matters not, as it's the 6's to penetrate I'm after. Put in enough Gauss, and I can more or less dispence with more potent anti-tank as the sheer amount I could potentially field will keep my opponent wary (ideally to the point of hesitany) with his armour, regardless of whether it's a transport or a heavy!

So what are your thoughts? Is it the same as 5th Edition, more finely balanced, or a no brainer in favour of one or the other?

I think the right approach is to use a mix so you can be flexible. I use three squads of 10 immortals in my lists, 2 with tesla, one with gauss. I don't want warriors as I don't want to give my opponent something to fire his AP4 stuff at. I think this is about the right mix. I usually put my velitek with the gauss, but depending on people's lists I will sometimes put him with a tesla squad. It's good to be flexible. Being one dimensional just leads to more difficult match ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster36 View Post
    This is correct. Page 53, under Repair Barge. First sentence and fourth sentence.
    Then my opponent has been cheating and I have been made to look foolish on a public forum...

There will be blood. Or at least strong words and snacks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast