Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
I would rather we pull out of using fossil fuels for energy pretty much altogether. Current estimates put us past the (probably to lenient) point of no return for CO2 levels in 17 years I think? Assuming 'business as usual' for that period. To me, that means we need a serious shake up in how we produce energy, and we need it now.

What I can't get my head round, is why the top brass in the oil and gas industry can't see this coming. We are heading towards climate disaster, if we burn all currently known reserves we go well over the 'safe' limit, and if nothing else, it is a finite resource. Governments are and will continue to implement stricter and stricter regulations on the fuel industry, it is a dying business, albeit slowly. Even China is trying to curtail it's fossil fuel use and has had a decrease in the amount of coal it has burned, because they have already caused climate change across an entire province within their country. Yet despite all of this, oil and gas companies are actively spending huge sums on finding more reserves?! I actually just don't understand. I don't expect them to stop producing fossil fuels tomorrow, but if I was at the helm, I would do something similar to GSK in the clinical trials transparency debate; in other words, realise times are changing, cut my losses and get on with getting to grips with what the new system is going to be, and get a head start. I would be investing that money in renewable technologies, not looking for more reserves, and diversifying into new branches of energy to create a sustainable future for the company. Is the lure of 'easy' money that strong?
Its not "easy" money really. I live right close to Alberta aka Canadas Texas aka "we got a lifted trucks unh". Ive worked the rigs and a couple other related jobs. The problem as usual is human nature. The opinion of the little guy is "oil n gas has the money so **** em, they can pay"

Ill lay out a little scenario that is not theoretical. I watch it happen even now. Even when oil and gas is at its lowest.lowest in a while.

Workers get paid large wages. Thats a fact. Im talking triple to quadruple minimum wage. Thats a large chink of money they pay.

Next up raw materials. I used to sell steel and the company had special rates. Like 20% more than non oil and gas. Thats a cost to them.

The subcontractors all mark up installing/fabricating their stuff. This is my industry and I do this but ill wxplain why later.

In order to foster good relations and "get the town on their side" oil companies build structures and donate money to said towns. Hell, they built an arena for our town.

When they do setup shop, due to the great costs incurred in eveb getting to this point they are often forced to use out of town labor Cuz the local attitude is usually "they got money, juice em" unfortunately said labor from out of town will often half arse the job. Then, they gotta pay a guy like me to come in and fix it. Ive already done this on two local plants. Its pathetic to see the corners people cut.

There are more ways that people screw the oil and gas companies but those are ones I have personally witnessed and had a part of.

The worst part is that the end user, us, pays for it. All these shenanigans we pull on them just to pay in the end and have zero power over. But again they also make it hard to do business as they are often 90 day payers, so u gotta mark it up a bit to overcome the length to get paid.

Its all one giant human clusterfock greed with our planet caught in between. But even then its cheaper than windmills, which cost enormous sums to maintain here and less environmentally damagimg than nuclear. So like most things. We did it to ourselves and now we wait and see.

This is probably the most derailed thread ive ever read. Grats guys :P