BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Serious Rules Debate the FAQ Does Not Address

Are you allowed to purposefully spend more command points than what you drew if you believe that you can secure the win? Example: Mission One - I draw 2 command points (My sergeant is dead so I can't turn it in for a second grab) The heavy flamer uses all 4 of his AP's to move into place, all I need to do is open the door and flame the room to secure the win. Can I expending more command points than I drew to make this happen?

I know the rules say if the SM player spends more CP's than what was drawn they lose, but the command point chip doesn't get flipped up until victory conditions have been checked in the Mission Status phase.

It seems to me that it's possible as a kind of a last chance, all or nothing push for the win. What do you think?

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

So you burn the fake cp, complete the mission, then flip the chip and lose?

No ! You can't !

Because thats is still just cheating otherwise you can always use 6 command point on the very last turn of the game.

It seems obvious to me that you can only win if:
    * 1 Victory condition are met so the game ends
    * 2 You have not cheated (so your trustable enough to play another game with)

So IMHO this stuff is cheating and that's not the spirit of a good game

Scout

By that logic, what is the point of playing? Turn one, I spend a million command points to get my guys to complete the objective before the genestealer even gets a turn. Good game.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Alvena View Post
    No ! You can't !

Because thats is still just cheating otherwise you can always use 6 command point on the very last turn of the game.

It seems obvious to me that you can only win if:
    * 1 Victory condition are met so the game ends
    * 2 You have not cheated (so your trustable enough to play another game with)

So IMHO this stuff is cheating and that's not the spirit of a good game
    Actually, I think it is in the spirit of the game. One last desperate push to achieve victory. How is that not entirely in line with what Space Hulk is about?

Quote Originally Posted by Superbran View Post
    By that logic, what is the point of playing? Turn one, I spend a million command points to get my guys to complete the objective before the genestealer even gets a turn. Good game.
    You're taking it way to far. The mission display limits you to six.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by robertsjf View Post
    So you burn the fake cp, complete the mission, then flip the chip and lose?
    No, it's assuming that once the victory condition has been met the game ends instantly.

i understand very well what you said.
    but i disagree with your point:
    game ends instantly
    This point will never, and can not, allow you to overrun the rules.
    "Rules As Intention" said if you have "accidentally" used a excedent CP the game end loosing under the gibe of your opponant.
    We are not supposed to try to cheat: (IE Purposely use more CP than we drawn)

As Superbran said if you can perform even 1 or more action(s) that are not legaly permited and suffer not any counterpart (IE: Having lost the game) why can't you cheat all the time ?

I do agree that a desperate move can implie to sacrifice you own men, to make incredible action with your CP, but i disagree that if you met the victory condition with some tricky-sneaky action as "i have cheated but i have won no matter the cost" is what we could call a good game.

Well just my 2 pence

Banned

A guy at my local suggested the same thing. And like you said if you spend more CPs than you drew you lose. Just because you found a cheap loophole to avoid showing you cheated doesn't mean it's not cheating.

You'd win but I'd never play you again.

I agree with the way everyone else seems to see it. It would be cheating.

If you were meant to do it, there would be a rule that specifically allowed you to do it. The whole game is (supposed to be) nail-biting, down to the wire stuff, where you take lots of risks. You don't need to 'give it one last push' by cheating at the end to make the game exciting or close.

Chaplain

Im not totaly sure, but despite the outrage against such a suggestion I personally would accept it. You can only lose by having used more than required when the token is revealed, and it is only revealed AFTER you check if youve won(which you are supposed to do in mission status phase even though it might be obvious half the time when it happens). So if you ask me, you could use an extra couple to achieve a win, but if its not a dead cert when you go for it then its a definate gamble :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast