BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default So, has 6th Edition changed your list writing?

Evening all!

Just been wandering around in the tactics forum, and I'm struck by how many 'unit x, or unit y' discussion there currently are. So I thought it would make an interesting discussion point overall. Hence the thread (yay!)

So clue is in the title. How, if at all, has the advent of 6th Edition changed your list writing?

As I play Necrons, I'm fielding a *lot* of infantry, on account there is precious little they can't handle, and all can hold objectives. Back it up with a little firebase type tanks and I'm good to go. Oh, and my fliers. Gotta love the fliers! In all, not so different to my 5th Edition Necrons. Yet I find the choice between Tesla and Gauss Immortals much closer, thanks to the small buff rapid fire was given, and I'm ever more impressed by my Destroyers, thanks to preferred enemy.

But how about you guys? Are you finding previous 'no brainers' (whether intertubes advised, or personal choice) no facing stiffer competition from their peers? Banshees for instance. With the change to Power Weapons, Scorpions now have an edge against 2+ Saves, as the higher strength and attacks mean more than the power weapon.

Are you seeing new variety amongst your opponents? If so what?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Well I unfortunately have not played 6th ed yet (dammit I want to get back home already), but having tailored my list to reflect more Necron infantry than vehicles (only run 3 to 4 at the most in most games) I can say that Gauss is both good and bad. Especially when it comes to Immortals. Reason is that we'll see less vehicles on the battlefield especially when they face us Necron players. Fielding both Immortals and Warriors is the best way to go as Warriors can reliably glance many vehicles to death. With a max amount of 20 Warriors you'll get 2 glances which will kill most transports. This means you don't necessarily have to take Gauss Immortals except when facing lots of 4+ armor saves. Tesla will be far more useful as it can potentially net you back missed shots and deal with the increase in infantry. I'll still use Gauss Immortals but Tesla works just fine as well.

So my list won't change much as I already had planned to assemble some Tesla Immortals and was already fielding a hybrid list with mostly troops. Although it must be said that some Res Orbs go a long way towards trolling your opponent.

Battle-Brother

I used to use Reserves to protect a lot of my men at the end of fifth - with a deep striking 'nid army and a Dark Eldar army. Not being able to do that has changed my game massively and i'm now trying more monstrous creatures to get across the table in my 'nids. With my Dark Eldar I've added in more units of Wracks so i can take the pounding for being on the table right from the start.

It's great though, I'm not upset with any changes but I do find myself looking at units that i'd never take before in a whole new light.

Brother-Captain

The new reserves limitations have made me rewrite my lists, no more raining stormtrooper assassins and outflanking everything else. It's changed the way I look at my lists and the table. I still haven't been able to make a GK list since the codex change (I just don't see how one makes that 'dex into an all comers list).

All terminator army now. Seriously my 1500 point army is nothing but 31 terminators.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Deathwing or Grey Knights?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

I was about to ask the same thing but then I realized the context of bfmusashi's own post. Grey Knights, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Deathwing or Grey Knights?
    Me? Grey knights.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chaplain

My lists have changed a little bit. I am currently putting Adrenal Glands on my Gargoyles. A fellow member of the swarm pointed out its totally worth it now. I also try to have a good ballance of psychic synapse creatures and never leave home without Ymgarl Genestealers. I haven't played my Daemons and Orks yet as I am trying to learn the rules with the army I am most familiar with. My Orks may not change much, but with my Daemons, I am probaly going to be more Tzeentch orientated.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    All terminator army now. Seriously my 1500 point army is nothing but 31 terminators.
    I'd do that. Unfortunately, the local game store has a comp system, and they've decided that expensive units are bad.

So I use the power armor version of this list. 50+ GKs is tough to deal with even if they don't all have Terminator armor.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast