BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Crisis Suit Confusion

I am still trying to pick up on how Tau play and 6th edition maybe complicated things a wee bit. I guess that Tau Crisis Suits are Jump Pack (?) Infantry. I think I got that right.

I get that in the Assault Phase they can choose to move 2D6" even if they aren't assaulting. I also assume that since they're using their Jump Packs, they can "fly over" things just fine. Does that mean they are able to do the same during their regular move? You know, use their Jump Packs? Or are they for all practical purposes just regular Infantry that get a nifty move in the Assault Phase?

Thanks in advance for any help with clarification.

IIRC they're jetpacks, which have different rules than jump.

Chapter-Master

Have you read the rulebook? Because p47 makes it perfectly clear exactly what they can do and what rules they have. They can move over intervening terrain models etc. just like jump infantry, whether in the movement phase or assault phase. They get their 2d6 move in the assault phase and have the bulky, deepstrike and relentless rules. What exactly is confusing about them?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

As Kyban said...er wrote.

Tau FAQ for 6th Edition (2nd page): XV8 Crisis Battlesuits are Jetpack Infantry as are any drones attached to them. In addition they have the Acute Senses Special Rule.

The FAQ also states that Crisis Bodyguard and Battlesuit teams are Jetpack Infantry.

Be sure to download (for free) the Tau FAQ's. Also a good idea to check the FAQs for other armies you play or play against.
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=340001 9&multiPageMode=true&start=2[/url]

Brother-Sergeant

Hrmmm, well I suppose I'll begin by saying I'm at work and random thoughts pop into my head during lunch. I'm trying to put 5th edition behind me and not reference what I saw in the past.

That said, I don't have my rule book at work so I cannot read exactly what is written in there. The two times I've played as Tau more recently, I've moved them where they jump around. Nobody questioned my movement but both players said they'd never played Tau before either.

My main hold up was just the confusion in that they're "still infantry" just with the special rules. Trying to separate the XV-8's and XV-88's is the other reason why I want to make a clear distinction about what I can and cannot do with the XV-8's (and as an extension, what I can and cannot do with the XV-88's). I knew I could fly in the Assault Phase with the XV-8's since they're using their jet packs, but I just wasn't sure in the movement phase.

Regardless, thanks for the help. I guess it is better to be embarrassed here than cheating someone in a game.
    Last edited by herigonz; 07-27-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Jetpack Infantry. FAQ and Rule book states it...this is good because (if I'm understanding this correctly) This means that Crisis suits do not fall back 3D6 anymore. At least that's what it says in the rule book. P.47
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession