Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Storm Troopers

4 30.77%
  • Veterans

9 69.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to run in Valkyries ?

Are Stormies or Vets best to run in Valkyries?

I am thinking of running a couple to raid enemy deployment zones using the Grav Chute rule.
    Last edited by Renegade; 07-29-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Chapter-Master

Everyone uses Vets. Meltas and Vets.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Unless you face lots of Marines, go with Vets. Personally I love Stormtroopers so I'd go all the way with them.

Stormtroopers are that bit more survivable, and AP3 guns is not a negligible thing. My opponent last week dropped some Vets in, they got into a firefight with my objective-sitting Tactical Squad. They came off much worse. Storm Troopers would have fared better.

Meltas need not be the default choice now, as most of the parking lots will be diminished or further up the field (because you can move and shoot to some degree and combined arms is really a thing now).

Not that melta veterans aren't still good.

As with most things, it depends on your opponent and your own list. And personal preference.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Platoon Command Squads are also not a bad choice, or special weapons teams. One of my opponenets runs a 4 flamer PCS in a Vendetta that he can drop off any time he wants. Its quite annoying.

If I go with the Glory Boys I'll probably run melta, if I go Vets it'll be plasma and demolitions, to take on bastions and vehicles at the back.

While Veterans are more flexible, the Big Toy Soldiers can have scout and move through cover which work well with the Valkyrie.

I already run 2 platoons, so it is not like I lack scoring elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I am thinking of running a couple to raid enemy deployment zones using the Grav Chute rule.
    The Grav Chute Deployment rule doesn't work in 6th. At least not until GW gets its **** together and puts out another FAQ.
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

marines with power weapons
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by evilamericorp View Post
    The Grav Chute Deployment rule doesn't work in 6th. At least not until GW gets its **** together and puts out another FAQ.
    why?
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

I think either Melta or Plasma Veterans, Stormtroopers are great but they are more expensive, aren't scoring and ultimately are best used only against Marines - something of which Veterans can do as well if they have Plasma Guns.
    Mind you though, I'd go with what you like better. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Marines mostly on foot, I'd definitely go Stormtroopers. Mech armies or non-Marine armies in general, I'd go Veterans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast