BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Thoughts on starting a new army

I am planning on starting a chaos army soon (either world eaters or emperors children), and was wondering what you guys thought: should i buy models now and stock up, or wait for the new dex/model range? how do you usually go about starting a new army? buy models you like or put a list together and then start collecting? thoughts??

Depends what you want to put in.

Safe bets for non-replacement would be the plastic Terminator character, the basic Chaos Marines and the Daemon Prince.

Overall, the characters and Chaos Marines are likely to be just as useful as they are now, so are a solid base to start with. I think we *may* see new Bezerkers, simply because the models are fairly old now and frankly showing their age somewhat.

Also the Tanks are unlikely to change, as that would be typically preceded by the Loyalist Marines (though that's not a guarantee!). Everything else is pretty much open to a plastic upgrade! Apart from the Terminators and Posessed, they're still dead new.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

As someone whos in the exact same circumstance, I just bought and painted 20 basic marines, plus a squad of Terminators, Id think that the basic Rhino will be around for a while and is a safe bet, plus doesnt have any wargear that may be useless later.

Chaplain

Basic Chaos Space Marines, Terminators, Chaos Lord in Termie armor (if that's what you're going for), Rhino or 2, and Predators but don't glue in the turret as there might be upgrades.

I bought some Noise Marines (foolish me, since the upgrade kit is rumored to be coming out) and actually somehow lost the sonic gun and blastmaster. I just can't find them so I'll probably be buying the plastic Noise Marine upgrade kit. Also Bezerkers are probably staying the same. The only upgrade kits that are said to be coming are the Noise Marine and maybe Tzeentch, not sure.

Chapter-Master

As echoed above, it depends on what you want in your army. Given that you say you want to play either World Eaters or Emperors Children, that would usually mean you will have a few (or a lot) squads of Khorne Berzerkers or Noise Marines, respectively. Both of those units will more than likely be redone when the new codex comes out - either as upgrade packs or new kits. A lot of units will probably get new kits, as many of them require updating and also because of the inevitable new options available to said units. For example, the Obliterators will definitely be redone. Most of the tanks should stay the same, i.e. the Vindicator and Rhino. The Land Raider kit may change, or they may bring out an entirely new one in addition to the current one. The Chaos Dreadnought will definitely be redone.

In general, I would advise being patient until the new codex comes out. However, if you like the current models, by all means stock up on them now so that you can have some of the models when the codex comes out and not have to buy a whole bunch at the same time. The battleforce is always a good start, but the models inside of it (namely the Berzerkers) will probably be outdated when the codex comes out - not that it will really make a difference, considering all current Chaos players will have that issue too. Another note - avoid the special character models, except for the current Finecast ones (Abaddon and Huron). They will definitely be remade soon and as it is are showing signs of age - except Typhus. His model is still awesome, but it balances out because you have to put a bunch of pins in him to keep him together.

All above is sound advise.

I think the Defiler will also remain the same.

My main army is CSM, or nurgle plague marines actually, so Im dealing with the same issues.

One thing that I wish I had done from the beginning is to make all special weapons, banners, power fists etc. Magnetized.

Especially terminators.

Then it would be easy to change for another list.

As it is, I have extra models.
    To will, to know, to dare, to win.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Filthspew View Post
    One thing that I wish I had done from the beginning is to make all special weapons, banners, power fists etc. Magnetized.

Especially terminators.

Then it would be easy to change for another list.
    I totally understand what you mean. My Chaos termies have a mix of power axes and chainfists. The point was that 3 would strike at regular initiative while the others would mop up whatever was left. Also even 2 chainfists would mess up vehicles. But now they all strike at I1 and even though axes grant a strength bonus, I'd rather have more Fists.

@OP: shell out the extra cash for Power/Chainfist bits if you are getting Termies. It's just not worth it to have axes on them. Swords maybe if you will be fighting Marines on a regular basis.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Black Hydra View Post

@OP: shell out the extra cash for Power/Chainfist bits if you are getting Termies. It's just not worth it to have axes on them. Swords maybe if you will be fighting Marines on a regular basis.
    oh i have plenty of those from my wolfguard termie boxes, if i end up doing world eaters ill get some termies, if i do emperors children ill probably go possessed. is there any good fluff for EC out there to get some ideas on what they like to run??

Read Fulgrim?

Or listen to the new Audiobook "Perfection" when it comes out.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

yeah i just got fulgrim, but i meant like post heresy what do they like to field? i want to stay fluffy so i know noise marines and possessed but do they use defilers and oblits, termies and heavy armour or are they more of "boots on the ground" type of force?? also do they ally with daemons often?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast