BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Giant Flying Roaches

We are talking about the Tyranid Hive Tyrant. This is one of the most threatening models in the 40k universe. It is a monster in Melee, shooting and support. The corner stone for many Tyranid lists, this unit can hold your force together by itself.

Lets talk about melee.

The Tyrant has access to almost every upgrade in the codex. A melee tyrant is one of the less expensive builds. It is recommended to load one out with wings, thus making it a flying monstrous creature. The speed of a flying tyrant can be overwhelming for some opponents by itself, but this isn’t its only trick. A lash whip and bonesword will almost guarantee the tyrant will take priority in initiative, and give a chance to instant kill its targets. With talons you can reroll dice to hit. The tyrant can even punish units for causing wounds to it in melee...

[url]http://tomahawc.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/giant-flying-roaches/[/url]

i think that the winged tyrant just costs too much!
    4 crack missiles? you're dead.
    zooming around? lasguns can down, and kill you.
    you can try it, but i think your odds are pretty bad.

i think hes more survivable with the shell for 2+ and a unit of guard, but thats equally over-priced.

much as i hate it- i think your new hq's are the horrible prime, the terrible parasite, or the useful tervigon.

i say spam brood lords, ym garls and swarms.

the nids are really dizzy from their vigorous nerf beatings.

but i've heard about faq love, and new units in the pipe for us, so don't sell your army yet.

Chapter-Master

well, with the flyer rules, there's not as much worry about '4 krak missiles'.
    Not to mention, it is very easy to get cover saves for the Flying Tyrant that is gliding.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

My current Nid list calls for 3 Flyrants at 2k. Saying they can be killed by 4 krak missiles or by lasguns is technically true, but also drastically understating their abilities. Krak missiles are way less scary when they need 6's to hit you and you have t9 or FNP. As for lasguns, the chance of the s9 hit is a bit intimidating, but also becomes much less so when you are t9 or have FNP.

The worst my tyrants have done so far was against a wraitwall Eldar list with runes of warding. In that instance, my tyrants started dying on turn 1 and finshed on turn 2. Most games it is turn 3 or 4 before the first tyrant dies, and I've had several where 1 or 2 of the tyrants survive the game. In the meantime, a single tyrant can tear through entire squads on its if it rolled halfway decent for its powers.
    Last edited by Sam; 08-02-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: left out a word
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"