BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default White Dwarf Necron colour scheme

Morning all, does anyone know how the Necron colour scheme on page 78 of White Dwarf Issue 389 was done?

The blue is easy enough to figure out but im not sure how he got the metal to be so dark (i don't think he just washed it) and i have no idea how he did the off-white colour.

Thanks for any help.

Picture taken from the net.

My guess would be starting with a foundation of some sort of light brown, such as steel legion drab/ xv-88, the layering up with whites from there, probably with a few washes in between.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think its a heavily black washed tin bitz.

Thats what I did painting my Striking Scorpions.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Autarch View Post

nice scorpion BTW. but i dont think tin bitz was the base, it looks like a bronze over a darker metal tone, maybe the necron compound darkened down with a black wash then tin bitz/bronze as the highlight. then like the bone stage (see below) i thinbk a sepia wash was used over the metal to pull the shades together.

Bone
    it looks like it could have started out with a bleached bone type colour with a sepia wash then re-hilighted up with the base and then picked out with the spot colour of blue, failing that a brown and sepia ink combo over a white base (use sepia as the 'main' colour then add the brown in the recesses and larger areas to pull the tone town to the brown shade)

i think GW is cathing on to the ink wash style of batch painting that people started doing a few years back with varnish and dipping, just refining the process. i have been doing that for years LOL.

I've been trying to find out how this colour scheme was painted too. The tin bitz with heavy wash isn't far off by the looks of things.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Autarch View Post

Autarch, that is one sweet looking Scorp. I think I would like to do the same scheme for some Necrons. I'm new to painting, how did you do that if you don't mind explaining?