BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

I've also noticed you have not shooty units other then the pavane and lash attacks. i would recommend so shooty units to take full advantage of pulling units towards/away from you. i would drop the lesser daemons and one of the HQs (i'd say the sorcerer) and use the points on noise marines, possibly using this configuration;

Chaos Marines (Allied Detachment)
    HQ - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh {C} - Wings, Lash = 155 pts
    Troop - 6 noise marines with 5 sonic blasters,1 blast master, personal icon = 190pts
    Troop - 6 noise marines with 5 sonic blasters,1 blast master, personal icon = 190pts
    ALLIES SUB-TOTAL - 535

leaving you at 1927pts but now leaving you with a legal army list. i would also recommend attaining some anti-tank units or upgrades as from experience people like to target the princes. also use the points to add flight to the Chaos Daemon's Daemon Prince as it will be a flying monstrous creature unlike the CSM one which is a jump monstrous creature.

EDIT:
    I can't really vouch for the chariots as i have not used them but i'm not really impressed by the rules i'd drop them and either add an extra daemon prince or a Soul Grinder for anti-tank.
    Last edited by The Madman; 08-06-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Nailed it!

Yes, this army could do with more Anti-Tank.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Points taken.
    Some how I missed the part about the illegality of my list with the two HQ choices under 2,000 pts. I think I just saw "Allied Detachment", peed my pants and got too excited. Glad you guys caught it so I didn't look dumb at the local store.

I'll revise - Add some shooting - Add some more Daemon Princess instead of the Cavalcade HQ.

Posting the updated list tonight after work.

Any recommendations for Daemon shooting - The noise marines sound fun, but all I don't see much for my Slaanesh guys?

Urrrrrrrrrmmmmm.... Daemons aren't great at shooting.
    You're best off trying to get some tanks or havocs with the CSM.

Chaplain

unfortunately, Tzeentch has that department when it comes to shooting; Slaanesh's role seems to be lure and charge so you could rely on Chaos Marines to improve your shooting/anti tank.

for example you could invest in a Predator with twin-link lascannon and two lascannon sponsons to deal with tanks or parhaps a Havoc Squad or Obliterators. Land Raider could also do the job and provide a transport for one of your noise marine squads.

Obliterators are taken in large quantities for a reason; they can deep strike and morph their arms into a number of energy based weapons allowing them to not only anti-tank effectively but also deal with heavy infantry and tightly packed troops with flamers, plasma cannons or twin-linked plasma guns.

in Fast Attack you could take a squad of Raptors as they fit the style of play daemons use, slap a couple of Meltaguns into the squad for a minimum of 120pts

finally the Elite choice in shooty units could be filled by either a Dreadnought, Terminator Squad or Chosen Squad.

the Dread could be given a multi-melta though would have to close the range to be effective (especially in an army where most if not all the units deep strike, possibly leaving it as a lone target). a Lascannon and plasma cannon can work too, but keep in mind of the Crazed special rule that might leave the dread directing it's fire at your own side.

The terminators can work pretty well, armed with reaper auto-cannons and Chains fists and also have the ability to deep strike, they can get up close and personal pretty quickly with any hull unable to escape in time.

finally the Chosen squad works similar to the Raptors as a cheap "throw away" unit, as up to five of them can be armed with a variety of weapons (five meltas anyone?) and can infiltrate allowing them to get within at least 18" of an enemy unit.

if i were you i would dedicate my daemons to close combat whilst using my allies as a gun line, though i would recommend Soul Grinders if you lack the points for the more expensive options in the Chaos marine book.

The basic tactic for a slaanesh army is this; Pavane/Lash, Shoot, charge the survivors (if any)
    Last edited by The Madman; 08-06-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

So I'm kind of getting the idea that Slaanesh aren't going to be the best option as a total force?

I play Tyranids mostly and so I am used to low toughness, low strength units that just charge into gun fire. However, from what responses I've read, it looks like Slaanesh have a bad reputation of just dying horribly before getting to charge?

Is a better suggestion to then switch the Daemon list to an All Daemon list, take out the Chaos Space Marine Allies, and bring in Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Khorne for variance and back up?

I just liked Slaanesh because they reminded me of Tyranids, but I can be convinced of taking Daemons from other gods. Suggestions?

People just have the opinion that "it dies horribly" if it isn't T4/3+ in this game. You already have plenty, just give it a try.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Chapter-Master

The best Slaanesh Army I saw was pure daemons based on Pavane (5 I think - 1 herald, 1 masque and one KoS.) Pushing your enormously high ini stuff into 1st turn combat. Worked a treat and minced MEQ. Only thing to factor in now is Sanp fire.

Resist the urge to change to Tzeentch no mater how he whispers in your ear!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Revised Slaanesh List - Built from Denzark suggestion

HQ - Keeper of Secrets - Might, Gaze, Instrument of Chaos, Aura, Pavane, Transfixing Gaze = 270 pts
    Troop - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
    HQ - Herald of Slaanesh - Might, Aura, Pavane, Soporific Musk = 110 pts
    Elites - Fiends of Slaanesh X 6 - Might = 190 pts
    HQ - The Masque = 100 pts
    Troop - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
    TROOP - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
    TROOP - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
    FAST ATTACK - Seekers of Slaanesh = 119 pts
    FAST ATTACK - Seekers of Slaanesh = 119 pts
    HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - Might, Aura = 115 pts
    HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - Might, Aura = 115 pts

Obviously, after skimming through the new list, I dropped the Chaos Space Marine Allies.
    I tried some other lists with The Madman's Chaos Marine suggestion, but I just couldn't get it rounded out correctly to my eye.

I found it to be very difficult to get enough of what I needed :-) Kind of the "If I only had a couple hundred more points" problem.

I really like the Slaanesh units, but I'm moving towards a 3 or 4 Chaos god list to fill all the gaps in the army... I.E. Not enough anti tank, Not enough toughness, Not enough shooting. I run a completely gun-less 2,000 pt Tyranid army that works well to overwhelm, but I'm not sure yet that the daemons can manage this with their slightly higher points cost in some cases.

Trying my hardest to stay with Slaanesh (Nurgle is cresting the horizon for me) and keep away from the Tzeentch Denzark

Noooooooooooo........... Embrace Tzeentch! Embrace the Infinity Machine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast