BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Yay! All of my armies (including my starting one) are expert level!

Best way to choose an army is say bananahammock it to the internets ranking and pick models you like. If you like the models, you;ll get on better with the army.

Main choice is style of play and models.
    This ^^
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Thanks everyone for your imput.

The reason GK is not in beginner is because they do have an obvious weakness, they only have 2 weapons for fighting heavy armor like Land Raider or Monoliths or Leman Russ'. Orbital strike is not very accurate unless you get servo-skulls near which is hard to do since most players will be within 6 inches of them and conversion beamer only fires once and can still scatter. While its easier to hit a vehicle in melee now, having no answer for those heavy vehicles means your men gotta take it to the teeth over and over again before they get there, meaning even if they take that heavy out, there may not be enough left to win the game. I have seen this a few times when GK go up against Leman Russ heavy IG, its not pretty. Other than that, melta weapons are pretty hard to come by. Unless you bring allies, but where not going there lol.

Necrons also not beginner because while they are great at shooting, they still get owned really badly in close combat by just about anything thats a dedicated CC unit. A unit of 20 Necron Warriors is almost guranteed to get beat by a 10 man Assault Marine squad and get sweeping advanced meaning Reanimation Protocols is useless. If you know how to exploit this weakness, a CC army can wipe the floor with your Necrons.

Yes, I am aware that Necrons have some CC of our own, but Lychguard are overpriced, C'tan are WAY overpriced, Scarabs can tarpit things, but will only win in massive numbers, and no one is going to take Spyders over the Doomscythe because of how awesome it is. Wraiths are about the only exception but they still have slow intiative and whip coils make them cost more than a Terminator and they still get owned by massed shots/CC attacks and no Reanimation Protocol.

I've played Necrons for years, and the reason for their not being a beginner army is complicated, as you can see.
    Last edited by TheVoidmaster; 08-07-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoidmaster View Post
    Thanks everyone for your imput.

The reason GK is not in beginner is because they do have an obvious weakness, they only have 2 weapons for fighting heavy armor like Land Raider or Monoliths or Leman Russ'. Orbital strike is not very accurate unless you get servo-skulls near which is hard to do since most players will be within 6 inches of them and conversion beamer only fires once and can still scatter. Other than that, melta weapons are pretty hard to come by. Unless you bring allies, but where not going there lol.

Necrons also not beginner because while they are great at shooting, they still get owned really badly in close combat by just about anything thats a dedicated CC unit. A unit of 20 Necron Warriors is almost guranteed to get beat by a 10 man Assault Marine squad and get sweeping advanced meaning Reanimation Protocols is useless. If you know how to exploit this weakness, a CC army can wipe the floor with your Necrons.

Yes, I am aware that Necrons have some CC of our own, but Lychguard are overpriced, C'tan are WAY overpriced, Scarabs can tarpit things, but will only win in massive numbers, and no one is going to take Spyders over the Doomscythe because of how awesome it is. Wraiths are about the only exception but they still have slow intiative and whip coils make them cost more than a Terminator and they still get owned by massed shots/CC attacks and no Reanimation Protocol.

I've played Necrons for years, and the reason for their not being a beginner army is complicated, as you can see.
    Grey Knights have a few ways of dealing with AV14, but they aren't reliable, except for the Vindicare. Psycannons are reliant on good rolls to deal with AV13 and AV14 - you need 6s. Ultimately the best way for most armies to deal with AV14 are meltas but Grey Knights lack that, instead we get Psyflemen dreadnoughts which can glance them to death, or even daemonhammers.

It depends on the Necrons though. I charged a unit of Immortals that had a Cryptek with that annoying lightning power, and half my Wych unit died instantaneously. Charging a Daemon Prince/monstrous creature at a Necron/Destroyer Lord or Overlord can end very badly if they have the appropriate wargear. They aren't always easy beats in combat because they are still very durable. Sweeping them also isn't the easiest thing to do; they are all either Leadership 10 or Fearless, and if you beat them that badly for them to fail on average then you probably are hitting them with a nasty assault unit.

Scarabs are good against vehicles and walkers I probably should have specified. I agree on the others. Wraiths scare most people in my store but most of them don't see them as what they are; two wound Space Marines. Toughness 4, 3+ save. Just shoot them with massed bolters, don't worry about things that are AP3 or lower which should probably be shooting at other targets anyway.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 08-07-2012 at 05:17 AM.

I've found a way to make Flayed Ones viable.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

I'm surprised no one I know of uses them to be honest. I've always liked Flayed Ones. They may not be the most competitive option but it's not like they are Chaos Spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Grey Knights have a few ways of dealing with AV14, but they aren't reliable, except for the Vindicare. Psycannons are reliant on good rolls to deal with AV13 and AV14 - you need 6s. Ultimately the best way for most armies to deal with AV14 is meltas but Grey Knights lack that, instead we get Psyflemen dreadnoughts which can glance them to death, or even daemonhammers.

It depends on the Necrons though. I charged a unit of Immortals that had a Cryptek with that annoying lightning power, and half my Wych unit died instantaneously. Charging a Daemon Prince/monstrous creature at a Necron/Destroyer Lord or Overlord can end very badly if they have the appropriate wargear. They aren't always easy beats in combat because they are still very durable. Sweeping them also isn't the easiest thing to do; they are all either Leadership 10 or Fearless, and if you beat them that badly for them to fail on average then you probably are hitting them with a nasty assault unit.

Scarabs are good against vehicles and walkers I probably should have specified. I agree on the others. Wraiths scare most people in my store but most of them don't see them as what they are; two wound Space Marines. Toughness 4, 3+ save. Just shoot them with massed bolters, don't worry about things that are AP3 or lower which should probably be shooting at other targets anyway.
    I see your point, but a squad of Immortals with a Cryptek is over 200 points. So, they should be tough to kill, but I bet if you had hit them with an equally expensive unit of Incubi...would have been a totally different story.

I also agree that Lords/Destroyer Lords can hold up to a Demon Prince/MC, they can survive its attacks but because of low WS and I low attacks, they will most likely die after putting 1 or two wounds on them. For them to be able to have a chance to beat a Demon Prince/MC, that Lord is gonna be expensive, like over 200 points expensive.

Chapter-Master

I was talking more about MSS and the like. Your opponent might expect it, but they can't do much about it. If I ran Necrons though I wouldn't bother with them personally, they seem like expensive gimmicks to me. Not that I disagree with your overall point - Necrons should not get into combat, but I think they hold their own better than Imperial Guard and Tau.

Mindshackle Scarabs are so worth it!

Take 20 Flayed Ones
    Take a Destroyer Lord with MSS and Res Orb
    Have fun
    Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    I was talking more about MSS and the like. Your opponent might expect it, but they can't do much about it. If I ran Necrons though I wouldn't bother with them personally, they seem like expensive gimmicks to me. Not that I disagree with your overall point - Necrons should not get into combat, but I think they hold their own better than Imperial Guard and Tau.
    MSS definately has its place. Only problem is, it is random who gets hit. So, you might not get that Sarge with Power Fist.

I'm really suprised at all this Flayed One talk. They're OK, but I'm sure as heck not gonna spring for that finecast model as I would need alot and they are expensive money wise.

I didn't make mine from FAILCAST.

I made them from Warriors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast